• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

S&W Model 627 .38 Super

jairadio

Army Veteran
Jut came across this at the S&W site.

Talk about colorful, what do the forum members think?

Model62738Super8-Shot.jpg

the grips are....interesting.

call me oldschool. i think i'd prefer the .357 version (ease of finding .38sp brass, especially compared to the rather pricey .38super)

a 627's been on my list for a while. perhaps when i have more time to *play*

Sorry. That sucks worse than a Hoover.

I'm just old school. If I wanted a 27, I'd get this:

pix1064832859.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe it was created as a competition piece and no one is suggesting it for CCW. Still, I'll wait until they release the one with orange and black grips.

jairaidio,
I owned one from the original production run sveral years ago and sold it because the only moonclips available at that time were the $7 each Hearthco. Since then Ranch Products has made moonclips for the 8x38 Super at $75 per 100 and I purchased one from the newer production run.
The pricipal use of this gun is for the competition shooters who want to absolutely minimize reload time. The shorter 38 Super case supposedly speed up reloads over the longer 38 Special case and does not deal with the potential lack of accuracy when using the 38 Short Colt case. The moonclips for the 38 Super cartridge are also a bit thicker and stiffer which does speed up relaods.
I shoot both the 627 and 686 in 38 Super. Howver, the speed of reloads is not the limiting factor in my performance.

TonyT, Thanks for that little bit of info. I have to admit, it is colorful, the more I look the more I like.

I have one from an older run. I think it is about five or six years old. Its an awesome revolver for steel. I like it just as much or better as my other 38/357 627's. Didn't come with those flaming grips but I changed them anyway to the specific hogue grip I use on all of my N frames.

Oh and Chris -
they would only laugh at you until you kicked their asses at a match with that gun. [wink]

Last edited:
I have one too - actually had two and sold one recently.
These are great revolvers.

As far as the JM grip - not my style - I use rubber Hogues.

As far as the color for shooting, if the grip felt right I'd use it - color doesn't effect the function of the pistol - just the mind.

Back
Top Bottom