• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

775 Yard to the Moose. Do you take that shot?

Every time I think I want to live in Alaska I watch a video like this and see all the mosquitos. No thanks.

Mosquitos most certainly suck, but the month or however long of darkness would drive me insane.

Has anyone seen the documentary about living in Alaska during the winter called 30 Days of Night? F that!

I have to imagine he butchered it right on the spot. No way you can haul that all alone. Though that then attracts other unwanted attentions from bears and the like. The next question I have is who would want to be out there hunting in the wild all by themselves with only your plane some miles away to get out. That really makes it interesting.
Usually moose hunts are done in groups.
A real big one you might spend a day getting it out.
Me , I like the meat better than beef or even venison.

is he going to eat it? if yes, how is he going to haul that moose now?
if not - why did he shoot it? meh.

whole deal with such shots is a solid probability to injure the prey and then have to go after it for who knows where and how long.

and, killing an alpha moose buck just for sport - it`s an a**h*** move.
I think the fine for wasting meat in Alaska is $10k and up to a year in jail. ( rightly so )
If you shoot it, you are hauling out all of the meat and the sex organs still attached.

I haven’t been ‘involved in the hunt’ per se, but was called after the fact to help haul one out.....mostly with my side by side....two friends, one ATV. The side by was a huge help. I was rewarded. This was NH, not Alaska. I was forewarned, had the side by on a trailer, they called me at work and I was there in less than 2 hrs.

I think the fine for wasting meat in Alaska is $10k and up to a year in jail. ( rightly so )
If you shoot it, you are hauling out all of the meat and the sex organs still attached.
I would imagine he did the best he could. Wanton waste is one thing. (Shooting it for shits and giggles, and not making any attempt to recover). The reality of the situation is another.

I haven’t been ‘involved in the hunt’ per se, but was called after the fact to help haul one out.....mostly with my side by side....two friends, one ATV. The side by was a huge help. I was rewarded. This was NH, not Alaska. I was forewarned, had the side by on a trailer, they called me at work and I was there in less than 2 hrs
I've see some pretty ingenious ways of getting them out.

Cutting down a tree and tying it across the horns and then five guys on either side .
An ATV (Burned the transmission out )
Ropes and pulley tied to trees and then to a truck.
Electric winch bolted to a truck bed.
A gas motor with a pulley chained to a tree. , just keep relocating the rig as you go till you get to the road.
And one old fellow in VT. that for 30 bucks would bring his Clydesdale in to pull it out. Best freaking 30 buck you'd ever spend.

There used to be some good hunting shows on outdoor channel. One was by a company that built shooting systems. Forget the name but long distance was the norm. And the bullet path was just like this one. Visible to the target. That guy must have had a nice prone setup. And talent.

.338 Lapua Magnum.

At that distance, the 300 grain projectile would still be traveling 1734 fps, with 1690lbs of energy. To zero at that distance it would peak at 51" at 450 yards.
I'd even take a 300 Win Mag at that distance and as long as I knew the wind I'd be pretty confident of the shot. 338 Lapua almost a no-brainer if a sub-MOA shooter.

Nope not taking that shot. The best I have done was 145-150yds on a quartering away trotting/running moose and 167 yds on a standing caribou. I might push to 300yds on a record - I shoot a 300 Weatherby.

the meat i like the best is the reindeer. moose is also nice, if young. horse sausages are also not that bad, if made right.

Admitting to my own limitations, I would not take the shot.

Yeah. Probably put the meat in bags and moved it some distance from the carcass and gut pile.

Or go (almost) completely boneless. Every pound saved reduces the effort schleping it back to camp. If he's alone, 500 lb is probably 3-5 trips. If he took the shot from camp, that would mean between 2.5 and 4.5 miles he gets to hike with that meat.
And I used to bitch about carrying a 20 pound striper over the sand in Mashpee.

The problem I have with these scenarios, and I'm not sure I have a "problem" with them per se, is that we only ever see the successful shots. How many people film themselves taking a really long shot like that, fail, and post it up online for everybody to see? NONE. And I can almost guarantee there are more failed shots at long distance than there are successful.
By "successful" I mean a quick, humane kill. Failed shots might ultimately result in a kill, but not after a lot of unnecessary suffering or no recovery at all.

I would not take that shot. I’ve shot competed across the course in service rifle, so I’ve taken 600 yard shots. But that was a huge, unmoving piece of paper with great contrast at a known distance and the only penalty for a miss was a lower score. I’m sure some people can make that shot, but I would not trust myself to do so.

He clearly knows what he's doing. Static target, known distance with high quality gear. You want an animal like that, this is what you're doing.

I'm sure there are lots of misses we never see. But I've seen bad shots at stationary targets at 50yds with a rifle so you can't set the rules by the lowest common denomination.

First thing, I know that animal hearing is great, but whispering at 775 yds???? LOL. Think 8 football fields away. Well, let's say 6 end zone-to-endzone. At one, you'd not hear someone barely. At 2, you may not know they are talking. At 3, you definitely don't know they are talking. At 6??? Damn. I'd be surprised if a moose could hear quiet talking that far.

I try to avoid the "Well if I couldn't make the shot , then no one could judgments "
I'm not bad , but there are many people a lot better.
Apparently it is a doable shot evidenced by the dead moose.

I try to avoid the "Well if I couldn't make the shot , then no one could judgments "
I'm not bad , but there are many people a lot better.
Apparently it is a doable shot evidenced by the dead moose.
I personally think it depends entirely on your rifle and optics, and how comfortable and confident you are. I also think it has a whole lot to do with what you are used to. I've never hunted anywhere but the woods of the East coast. Some folks live places where if you are not willing to try to take some long shots, you are going to have an empty freezer, and a very expensive hike. Most of the places I've hunted, you wouldn't even see a moose 300 yards away, through the trees.

Sure there are some guys that hunt the edges of a field that might occasionally see a white tail at distance, but most are under 100 yards and close enough that you really don't need an optic. 30-30 with irons are great for most east coast hunts. First time I sighted a deer through a scope, I spazzed because I was so close, all I saw was BROWN. By the time I reached up and dialed down the scope, the deer saw me, laughed at me and called me a dumbass, and jumped 100 yards at light speed. And I had my first "one that got away" story.

Who else watched the guy drop the hammer on an empty chamber a few times and thought, "that would never happen around here."

But youtube has tons of long range hunting vids.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vUBHWfoaKo&t=522s

I personally think it depends entirely on your rifle and optics, and how comfortable and confident you are. I also think it has a whole lot to do with what you are used to. I've never hunted anywhere but the woods of the East coast. Some folks live places where if you are not willing to try to take some long shots, you are going to have an empty freezer, and a very expensive hike. Most of the places I've hunted, you wouldn't even see a moose 300 yards away, through the trees.

Sure there are some guys that hunt the edges of a field that might occasionally see a white tail at distance, but most are under 100 yards and close enough that you really don't need an optic. 30-30 with irons are great for most east coast hunts. First time I sighted a deer through a scope, I spazzed because I was so close, all I saw was BROWN. By the time I reached up and dialed down the scope, the deer saw me, laughed at me and called me a dumbass, and jumped 100 yards at light speed. And I had my first "one that got away" story.

Who else watched the guy drop the hammer on an empty chamber a few times and thought, "that would never happen around here."

But youtube has tons of long range hunting vids.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vUBHWfoaKo&t=522s

On the east coast of North America those kind of shots are far and few between.
My best one to date was 310 yards up in Canada.
There are guys in the midwest picking off prairie dogs a hundred yards further than that.

Last edited:
On the east coast of North America those kind of shots are far and few between.
My best one to date was 310 yards up in Canada.
There are guys in the midwest picking off prairie dogs a hundred years further than that.

They were shooting a 100 years into the future? 😆

I personally think it depends entirely on your rifle and optics, and how comfortable and confident you are.
Certainly the rifle, optics, and ammunition have to be up to scratch. You also need a way to know the distance (e.g., laser range finder) and know your trajectory. But you also need to be able to read the wind. At 700+ yards, misreading the wind can result in a miss, or worse.

Back
Top Bottom