• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

sample letter of recommendation for my LTC application?

I don't have any examples (I didn't need letters), but I would just get someone who will say that you're a responsible person with a cool head who understands the huge responsibility that it is to carry a gun.

I didn't need a letter, but I have one at home, because someone wrote one anyway. I can send it to you when I get home if you want.

The letter should say how long they have known you, that they believe you a responsible member of society, and that you should have an LTC A for all lawful purposes. IMO short and strait to the point is the way to go, it worked for me.

As far as I know they never even read my letters, and my references were not contacted. Good luck and hope you get an unrestricted LTC.

The letter should say how long they have known you, that they believe you a responsible member of society, and that you should have an LTC A for all lawful purposes. IMO short and strait to the point is the way to go, it worked for me.

As far as I know they never even read my letters, and my references were not contacted. Good luck and hope you get an unrestricted LTC.

+1 My town required 3 letters, and they all looked just like that. The paper was mostly blank because that was the only sentence. It also included their addresses, phone numbers, and signature.

To Whom It May Concern:

John Doe has asked me to provide a recommendation letter for his Massachusetts Class A Firearms license. I am not related to John but have known him for over 6 years and consider him a very close friend of the family. He is a respected professional man who holds his head high and achieves anything he sets out for.

I believe John Doe to be of good character and that he will accept the responsibilities involved seriously and know of no reason why he should not be granted a Massachusetts Class A Firearms license. I recommend that you approve his application.

If you have any questions regarding this letter please contact me in writing or call me directly.

Personal Information Goes Below

I used something similar to this. You can add or delete anything you want. Change the name and tense of course.

Last edited:
Are towns still asking for letters or recommendation?
My friend is going to apply soon in whitman and like to have him ready.

Ummm.
Go to the specific towns police department section of town website and see what it says about LTC apps.
May not pertain to his town, but my town gives detailed instructions on their site.
Each town has their own requirements. My town requires three letters.

That is not dead, which can eternal lie
And, with strange aeons, even death may die.

Necrothreads are the new threads.

That said, the last one I wrote was,

Dear Boss Cop:

I have known Mr. Bagadonuts for approximately one year in a professional capacity, and based on my training and experience, he has the knowledge, skill, and attitude to be a safe owner of a firearm."

Regards
MisterHappy
(then the appropriate postnomials from the sig, below (left off the forklift stuff).

whaaat...don't know anyone with some intelligence that can write a decent letter of recommendation? the education system in this country is a mess.

Are towns still asking for letters or recommendation?
My friend is going to apply soon in whitman and like to have him ready.

Look at the towns website or call and see what they require. If they want a reference letter, don’t over think it. It they put restrictions on licenses, a great reference letter isn’t going to change that at all. I know a town with the requirement but they don’t call the references and really don’t care about them. I assume someone put the requirement in years ago and it. Ever went away.

Use the K.I.S.S. system. The more that is written, the more their words could and will be used against you. Same if you are asked to write a letter on why you want to exercise your 2A right.
The outcome can easily end up being a restricted LTC, please don't ask me how I know!

I've only had my license for a few years now , I didn't have to have any letters , just references.
It's town by town. Several of the eastern ones (e.g., Woburn, Cambridge) require them. It's been a few years since I wrote for my friend, but Woburn was still calling the authors of the letters when I did.

City of Boston does not require letters. When I applied for my license in 2017 I lined up two BPD Sergeants I know and another guy to write letters. When I made the appointment for my interview I was told "don't bring in any letters, we won't even read them".

Back
Top Bottom