700 Chassis Replacement

DarthRevan

NES Member
I have a .308 700 VTR whose length of pull isn’t enough while in prone, I find myself fighting the walls of my scope way too much.
The curse of being a giant. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Any recommendations from the brain trust on adjustable stocks?
So far I’ve looked at Boyd’s and Magpull for entry options. Is this something just about any monkey can take a wrench to to swap?
I’m open to anything. Not sure where I want to set my budget yet as this isn’t high on the priority list yet but if I catch a deal I want to snag it.

I have a .308 700 VTR whose length of pull isn’t enough while in prone, I find myself fighting the walls of my scope way too much.

So far I’ve looked at Boyd’s and Magpull for entry options. Is this something just about any monkey can take a wrench to to swap?
I’m open to anything. Not sure where I want to set my budget yet as this isn’t high on the priority list yet but if I catch a deal I want to snag it.
you can always get a proper chassis, like something from XLR on sale, but in the meantime, did you try to look up options for replacing rubber buttstock?
or you can get a condom like extender there, they are actually usable, somewhat.
any precision chassis will make rifle substantially heavier, if you want precision in prone only - it is good, if you want to carry it in the woods - not so much.
View: https://www.amazon.com/TargetEvo-Buttstock-Shotguns-Shooting-Extension/dp/B07B8QTDLB

also - from snipershide thread -
"The VTR barrel is just the standard Remington Varmint barrel contour with three large flats cut on it instead of the six flutes of some of the other models. Any stock for a varmint barrel contour will fit fine."

It's literally 2 action screws to get your barreled action out of your current stock.

I'm a fan of the XLR and MPA chassis's.

KRG offers a few options at reasonable prices (link above in Talahassee's message). I put my CZ 457 Varmint rimfire into one of their Bravo chassis with very good results. Their Whiskey 3 chassis is even more adjustable, but less "tactical". High end might take you to McMillian or Manners which are commonly sought after for Rem 700 actions, but they cost "more" (grin). Favorite for my 700 clone action is the McMillian A5. Shim system to adjust LOP. You have LOTS of options if you go chassis.

What are you looking for?

1) Price range
2) Weight
3) Features (extra weights, arca rail or similar, folding stock, etc.)

The ones I mentioned are not light... and get even heavier with the weight kits. Is this for hunting, prs, bench, prone, just for giggles?

Foundation and Greyboe make decent stocks .

You can always add weight ( lead shot ) to most stocks if they aren't heavy enough.

Yeah like six years ago lol
A $350 chassis probably makes some sense for such upgrade, a $1000+ - probably not.
Really depends upon of what you want to improve. A good chassis probably deserves a better rifle as well.
I would get a good custom wooden stock if you want to carry it in a forest instead.

A $350 chassis probably makes some sense for such upgrade, a $1000+ - probably not.
Really depends upon of what you want to improve. A good chassis probably deserves a better rifle as well.
I would get a good custom wooden stock if you want to carry it in a forest instead.

To counter both of your points without trying to be a dick, my Remington 700 5R’s in both .308 and 6.5 are excellent rifles...I might have lucked out, but both are sub MOA guns. I would also prefer polymer/synthetic/aluminum for a romp in the forest gun as it would be less likely to be damaged by weather or bumps and rough handling.

get a quality chassis.
If you can wait until Black Friday, XLR and KRG will almost certainly run specials. MDT also good choice but I find their chassis options all somewhat overpriced.

To counter both of your points without trying to be a dick, my Remington 700 5R’s in both .308 and 6.5 are excellent rifles...I might have lucked out, but both are sub MOA guns. I would also prefer polymer/synthetic/aluminum for a romp in the forest gun as it would be less likely to be damaged by weather or bumps and rough handling.
I frankly care much less about possible damage to the wood - it just feels much nicer to me to feel the wood compared to plastic or metal, especially in winter.
Same reason I love feel of 457 varmint mtr. Well made wood stock is a nice thing.

I've been looking at the KRG Bravo and the Oryx chassis for my 10/22. They work for the 700 as well. I'm really trying to justify the Oryx.

I'm a big fan of the Bell & Carlson Varmint / Tactical , got 2 of them in a short and long action. Very adjustable, outstanding quality for the money.

Back
Top Bottom