• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

7 Lessons from a Police Shooting ( for NES why dogs and unarmed civillians get shot)

Cowgirlup

NES Member
I thought this was a good article from an LEO I know.

Quote:

"If more people realized how bad police selection processes are and how poorly police officers are trained, there would be far more gun owners, martial arts practitioners, and CCW permit holders out there"

http://www.activeresponsetraining.n...veResponseTraining+(Active+Response+Training)

Quote:
"I see this more and more as liability conscious police departments are afraid of hiring “fighters” or someone who looks intimidating. They hire candidates with no criminal record, no martial arts abilities, and exactly zero fighting experience. Most of the candidates we are seeing as entry level police officers have never served in the military, been in a fight, or played a contact sport. They are inadequately trained and then just expected by their administration to automatically know how to handle themselves in a street fight.

It’s a recipe for failure and ironically creates MORE liability instead of less liability. Look at this case. How much do you think the city is going to pay this man’s estate in the forthcoming lawsuit? But at least she didn’t punch or body slam the poor criminal. That would have looked bad."

This shit makes me sick to my stomach and is why I live in a small town where the local police are on a first name basis with most of the town.

With the exception of my local police who I know.....I'm more concerned about an accidental interaction with the police than I am about some criminal.

I've said it for a long time...we have too many laws.

More laws require more police to enforce

There are only so many people in the population who have the temperment and inclination to be a police officer.......as such the vast majority of police are ill suited to the job.....no amount of training will ever change that.

I wonder how many get passed over in the name of diversity.

I wonder how many get passed over in the name of diversity.

You can put me on that list thanks to the MA affirmative action policy. The civil service depts that accepted the provision hire in this order regardless of score, as long as you passed, Women, hispanics, blacks, whites. When I took the test I scored 96-98 I can't remember exactly. I was 54th on the list with 12 ties. [rolleyes] So after my family had been on the PD for a combined 100+ yrs. They decided that I was too white, Irish and qualified to be on the PD in MA. So ended a very very long tradition in my family. Which really pisses me off. Not only would I have carried on the tradition that had been running for generations, but I would be retired already and opening/running my own gun shop.

that's a good article. i was going to post that in the thread about the girl getting in between the state trooper and her dog.
i subscribe to his feed.

curious, how do you know greg?

I took Krav Maga for 3 years when I lived in Ohio. He was my ground fighting instructor. He used to bring a whole sale knife catalog to class and I got to order a bunch of cool knives and got an LDK before they were available to buy.

I haven't seen or talked to him in years. I came across a link to an article he wrote and found his website a few weeks ago. Good stuff!

Last edited:
Every item he lists could be overcome with good training, but the problem boils down to bad training. Namely, that most academies everywhere in the country make Lesson One this notion:

1. Everyone you encounter is a potential cop killer.
2. Anyone who doesn't immediately obey IS TRYING TO KILL YOU!

And Item 2 doesn't change just because someone is drunk, delirious after a head trauma, in diabetic shock or other medical condition, didn't hear or comprehend shouted commands, or doesn't understand why this person with weapons pointed at him just went from 0 to 11 on the escalation of force chart.

When I started my career, I was surprised at two kinds of job experience that they looked for: sales, and fast food management of minimum-wage entry-level workers. But it made total sense: both involve persuading people to do something they're not naturally inclined to do, and to do so without any kind of force.

"The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws.(Tacitus} With the amount of laws we have it is obvious that corruption is huge and running rampant in our govt.

This shit makes me sick to my stomach and is why I live in a small town where the local police are on a first name basis with most of the town.

With the exception of my local police who I know.....I'm more concerned about an accidental interaction with the police than I am about some criminal.

I've said it for a long time...we have too many laws.

More laws require more police to enforce

There are only so many people in the population who have the temperment and inclination to be a police officer.......as such the vast majority of police are ill suited to the job.....no amount of training will ever change that.

Back
Top Bottom