1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

7 killed , 3 hurt in motorcycle-truck accident in Randolph NH

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by calsdad, Jun 21, 2019.

1. Malodave

Malodave

Living in the Bahamas for 2.5 years, they drive on the left. Coming back to the States,
    It would sometimes take me about two blocks to realize that I needed to drive on the Right again.
    No accidents because of it.

Malodave

NickLeduc likes this.

2. jpk

jpk

Kinda sad/disappointing that a tragedy like this has evolved into the typical NES dumpster fire....maybe its time for this thread to be put to out to pasture

buckfarack and Coda like this.
  3. jhblaze1

jhblaze1

too much to sort through in this thread....does anyone know WHY he was charged with the 7 counts of negligent manslaughter?

I didn't see anything in the news saying he was on his phone or drunk or anything, unless I just haven't seen the latest....

4. NewGuyRay

NewGuyRay NES Member

For the win! People should do a little reading. Following the government's advice to eat a low-fat, high-carb diet is the surest way to live the progression of insulin resistance -> Type II Diabetes -> Obesity -> Death from Coronary Disease/Cancer. Animal fat is not the problem. Sugar and other non-plant/fruit based carbs are what's killing people.

mibro likes this.
  5. HARRYM

HARRYM NES Member

Criminally negligent manslaughter
    Main article: Negligent homicide
    Criminally negligent manslaughter is variously referred to as criminally negligent homicide in the United States, and gross negligence manslaughter in England and Wales. In Scotland and some Commonwealth of Nations jurisdictions the offence of culpable homicide might apply.

It occurs where death results from serious negligence, or, in some jurisdictions, serious recklessness. A high degree of negligence is required to warrant criminal liability.[13] A related concept is that of willful blindness, which is where a defendant intentionally puts themself in a position where the defendant will be unaware of facts which would render them liable.

Criminally negligent manslaughter occurs where there is an omission to act when there is a duty to do so, or a failure to perform a duty owed, which leads to a death. The existence of the duty is essential because the law does not impose criminal liability for a failure to act unless a specific duty is owed to the victim. It is most common in the case of professionals who are grossly negligent in the course of their employment. An example is where a doctor fails to notice a patient's oxygen supply has disconnected and the patient dies (R v Adomako).[14] Another example could be leaving a child locked in a car on a hot day.[citation needed]

6. jhblaze1

jhblaze1

too much to sort through in this thread....does anyone know WHY he was charged with the 7 counts of negligent manslaughter?

I didn't see anything in the news saying he was on his phone or drunk or anything, unless I just haven't seen the latest....

I know what the term means....I'm asking what specific circumstances other than his shitbag past led to those charges.

Someone driving carefully could have a legitimate accident that caused death and they wouldn't be charged with manslaughter unless there was something specifically negligent about their actions that led directly to the deaths.

7. NickLeduc

NickLeduc NES Member

I agree that he is screwed. What I do disagree with is trashing his life based on the little know info that has been spread.
    No matter his defense, he ended up on the wrong side of the road killed a bunch of people. Should he be sentenced to death if there were other factors into WHY he was on the other side of the road. The majority of the ppl in this thread think he should hang no matter what. Accidents do happen.

Coda likes this.
  8. NewGuyRay

NewGuyRay NES Member

As a matter of safe riding practices, I will not ride in groups of more than 3 motorcycles and the motorcycles ride in a stagger with proper spacing between them. Riding in larger groups scares the crap out of me. I get the fun aspect of it but, there is just so much that can go wrong. There are very few riders I've met that I would trust to ride in such close proximity to me. I participated in some large charity rides when I first got licensed and I saw too much go wrong to continue doing it safely.

As for the trucking company in this story, I would not be surprised to learn that it was a drug running/money laundering enterprise.

timbo, 10thSFFD and richc like this.
  9. NickLeduc

NickLeduc NES Member

10. AHM

AHM NES Member

[​IMG]

11. 10thSFFD

10thSFFD NES Member

I appreciate that, finally, Our President is trying to address legal and illegal immigration. As a refugee myself I fully support everything he does!

Der Luckmustest was not passed here. If you arrive as a legal refugee and you have nothing or close to nothing it will take you few decades to get on your feet. If you suddenly have few cars and few houses, you are probably something else and you may be driving on "the wrong side".

In some European countries Ukrainians are used for slave labor. Recently one such an unfortunate soul died in the factory in Poland and was pulled into woods just like that.
    Polish employer, who took Ukrainian to forest to die, faces five years in jail
    By the way, most of the Europe drives on the right side of the road and the amount of drugs in many local waterways is higher than here.

There are many different kinds of Russians. Let's wait what Turtle Boy will sniff out for us, he is on his right path.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
    AHM likes this.
  12. 10thSFFD

10thSFFD NES Member

13. 10thSFFD

10thSFFD NES Member

Mass. trucking company in deadly N.H. crash had troubling history of driver violations - The Boston Globe
    The Massachusetts company that owns the truck involved in a devastating head-on crash that killed seven people in Randolph, N.H., on Friday racked up serious driver-related violations over the past two years at a rate four times higher than the national average, federal records show.

“That’s exceptional,” said national trucking industry expert Scott L. Turner. “Typically what that means is they have inadequate management controls.”

Ten of those inspections, or 20.8 percent, resulted in at least one out-of-service order, nearly four times the national average of about 5 percent, records show.

The man behind the wheel of the company’s truck during Friday’s crash was Volodymyr Zhukovskyy, 23, of West Springfield.

He had begun working for Westfield Transport three days before the crash, the company’s owner told the Globe previously. The owner could not immediately be reached for comment Tuesday.

Zhukovskyy, who has a history of driving arrests, faces seven counts of negligent homicide. He waived his arraignment in Coos County Superior Court in Lancaster, N.H., and he was ordered held in “preventative detention,” court records show.

14. PaulR

PaulR NES Member

this kid has pleaded "not guilty" to the charges.

15. 10thSFFD

10thSFFD NES Member

Expected.

16. 10thSFFD

10thSFFD NES Member

Do we remember this?

Feds shut down Wilmington limo company
    The order details several instances in which vehicles that failed state safety inspections were later allowed to transport passengers. The order says some vehicles inspected by federal regulators had "defective emergency exits, defective safety glass, flat tire, inadequate brakes, tire tread depth, and broken rear steps attached to vehicle using bungee cords."

The company also violated federal regulations by failing to systematically repair vehicles, and by failing to adequately monitor the hours its drivers were working, whether those driver's had the required driver's licenses, and failed to adequately test drivers for drug and alcohol use, according to the order.

The order cites several instances in which drivers were allowed to drive vehicles, such as a full-sized coach bus converted to host a mobile party, even though the drivers did not have required CDL licenses.

Similar violations were also discovered with smaller vehicles and other drivers, according to the order.

Regulators also claim the company had no current drug- and alcohol-testing program, and that drivers were allowed to transport passengers before passing drug and alcohol screenings.

"During the investigation, FMCSA observed one driver sleeping in a limousine at 7:45 a.m.," the order states. "The investigator interviewed the driver, who reported that he had driven until 2 a.m., was going to his day job, and would then return at 7 p.m. and drive again until 2 a.m."

While the statement posted online by Baudanza said the company has been in business since 1984 and is "one of the largest and safest carriers in the business," the cease-and-desist order says the company was selected for screening because 65.2 percent of motor carriers nationwide "have demonstrated better on-road compliance."

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  17. rcoolbaugh

rcoolbaugh

... Ditto ... I try to stay far away from group rides, on the few I've been on - with good friends - I always choose to ride the rear where I can choose my own speed, following distance and lane position. I always ride with a go-pro running so if anything goes wrong there is at least some evidence left behind.

18. n1oty

n1oty NES Member

I read an article today that stated he was charged because he was driving erratically just before the crash and that he was operating left of center at the time of the crash.

drgrant and Picton like this.
  19. commodon

commodon NES Member

A conviction for OUI. A second arrest for OUI. A conviction for drug possession. A green card holder.

Somehow, after each of these arrests, he was never subject to deportation?

Lovely...

xjma99, 10thSFFD and mibro like this.
  20. deerdad

deerdad NES Member

The kid isn't even showing the least bit of remorse in any of the video clips that I've seen. I think anybody that just killed 7 people would give some sign of panic or at least agitation.

Greg

10thSFFD and commodon like this.
  21. commodon

commodon NES Member

Agreed. Of what I read, he went to the beach with his family the day after the accident! Seriously? Who TF does that?

22. HARRYM

HARRYM NES Member

Yup, little by little things leak out. He has has at least 4 "interactions" with police in 2019.

23. calsdad

calsdad NES Member

There's a big difference between looking at the facts of a case - AS PRESENTED - and coming to a conclusion about what happened, and just calling for somebody to hang from the nearest tree because of what you THINK they did.

You and I can make decisions about what somebody might have done , or might do in the future - and take actions in our own self interest. I hear black people moan endlessly about how "da white womenz cross to road to avod me". Ya ok - it's "racism" No shit Sherlock. It's also completely practical given that it's a PROVEN FACT that black men far outpunch their weight class in terms of committing crime.

I got shit because I simply looked at the pictures of the accident and said "it was the pickup truck driver's fault" - much earlier in this thread. With enough EXPERIENCE it's not that hard to look at the evidence presented and come to a conclusion - and be right MOST of the time. In this case the bikes were strewn all over the highway - and the truck was off the road and burning ON THE WRONG SIDE OF THE ROAD. Since the bikes were all in formation - I found it extremely unlikely that an entire procession would go over the wrong side of the road AND that the truck would end up on the wrong side of the road. The pictures also seemed to show a relatively straight and level section of road - and the trailer was empty. So the truck shouldn't have been in a situation where it was overloaded and/or coming down some of those steep hills and out of control.

There's a big difference between doing what I just did - and calling for the guy's head without a trial. My assumptions might make me a bad juror - that's for the lawyers to decide.

When the state starts playing the jump to conclusions game - that's when we ALL will have big problems. Which is what they're doing more and more frequently these days BTW.

NickLeduc likes this.
  24. mibro

mibro NES Member

A sociopath. Someone to whom other people are just objects.

TLB, commodon and silversquirrel like this.
  25. calsdad

calsdad NES Member

I see people crossing lines all the time. When there's somebody parked on their side of the road - they'll cross the line to around them , oncoming traffic be damned. It seems an awful lot of drivers refuse to accept that fact that the other lane - isn't their lane as well. My mother-in-law calls it the "hooray for me and the hell with everybody else" mindset.

I'm only saying this because the way I was taught to drive was "stay in your phucking lane!!". No exceptions. Yet I see people who appear to be stone cold sober violating that rule ALL THE TIME.

26. buckfarack

buckfarack NES Member

Only after we can conclusively determine if he needed a CDL for his 10K+ GVW plus trailer...

27. Picton

Picton NES Member

Uh, you know it’s perfectly legal to get in the oncoming lane to pass slower traffic with a dotted lane divider, right?

Perfectly safe, too, if you use caution.

28. calsdad

calsdad NES Member

As a motorcycle rider I learned a long time ago that you will likely end up splashed all across the pavement sooner or later , if you don't adopt an attitude of pre-convicting people for their soon-to-come stupid behavior while driving. Certain people I just stay far away from. Pickup trucks with landscaping Co. signs on the side, young chicks in pretty much any Mitsubishi , old women, anything I can't see around, etc.

Even if the guy lost control because the wheels fell off the truck - I'm pretty sure somebody is getting screwed for this.

If I remember correctly that's exactly what happened up in Maine where that state trooper got hit by a tire and killed. They just had something on the news about that recently and I believe they found that faults in the wheel assemblies were missed at two recent inspections. I don't recall anything being said about charges - yet. But since it was a trooper that got killed you can almost guarantee they're going to keep looking for a head to put on the platter.

29. calsdad

calsdad NES Member

That's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about people on two lane roads who - just because there's something blocking them in the lane they're in - decide that the other lane - which has oncoming traffic - is now "their" lane. Oncoming traffic be damned.

And yes - I know it's legal to pass the slowpokes by crossing the dotted line into the other lane - I do it all the time when I get sick of being stuck behind the guy going 20 in the 40 zone , or being behind all the damn cyclists who ride 3 abreast as they meander thru Concord.

30. Reptile

Reptile NES Member

xjma99 and AHM like this.