7 killed , 3 hurt in motorcycle-truck accident in Randolph NH

jpk

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Not exactly. Truck up to 26,000 can pull a trailer up to 10,000 and still be driven with a class D license and a medical card in MA, even with air brakes. Exceed either of those numbers and it's a class B or class A, and air brakes will require an endorsement.
Any what you just pointed out for people is that there is state law as well as fed law that folks can run afoul of......and it makes an utter confusing mess of things for anyone with a 1 ton truck (or larger)

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I had that happen when I was hauling a backhoe on an eight wheel eager beaver trailer with an F-750 on that curved section of rte.3 in Braintree under Washington St. Headed south. No seat belt back then and only one chain on the tractor. Real close to death. Never again.
I never want to tow anything!!

Gasgunner

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not exactly. Truck up to 26,000 can pull a trailer up to 10,000 and still be driven with a class D license and a medical card in MA, even with air brakes. Exceed either of those numbers and it's a class B or class A, and air brakes will require an endorsement.
That’s not what the Trooper that cited us, or the one that did our DOT audit said. Essentially, if you are driving a 26,000 (class D) truck, and put anything behind it, it’s a Class A combination.

jpk

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
That’s not what the Trooper that cited us, or the one that did our DOT audit said. Essentially, if you are driving a 26,000 (class D) truck, and put anything behind it, it’s a Class A combination.
Depends in part as I recall whether its commercial or for personal use

Buck F

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
In my experience: people simply don't pay attention to shit. They run things over they should have avoided, smash into other cars, run over animals - etc. Really makes me wonder about how driving tests should be administered before getting a license. Maybe it's because I have ridden a motorcycle since I was a teen, but I notice almost everything. I've seen chipmunks sitting at the edge of the road and swerved to avoid them. I don't think most people would see a friggin moose standing at the side of the road.

The eye tests they give to get a license only tell about 5% of the story. What they should administer is a "can you pay phucking attention" test. I'd be willing to bet that 75% of the drivers on the road would be prove to be *fundamentally* incapable of doing so.
I think it goes a little beyond not giving a shit. Years ago at an auto insurance seminar they showed a video about what a person sees real time versus what they see that's embedded in their memory. The human brain processes a significant amount of visual stimuli from memory i.e. much of what the brain sees is what it expects or is conditioned to see versus what it's actually seeing at that moment. In familiar surroundings, you tend to see more from memory that what's actually there, particularly background, stationary stuff. They related it to our industry by saying that people are conditioned to see cars making left turns at intersections but not necessarily motorcycles and definitely not bicycles. Same when they're pulling into a main roadway from a side street, they're more conditioned to see oncoming cars than motorcycles or bicycles. They did a couple of optical illusions to illustrate that, it was quite telling. That video stuck with me as I'm a regular bicycle rider. I assume in certain situation that the person doesn't see me, not because they're not paying attention but because it may just not be registering in their minds, and I ride accordingly. I have also found that the flashing white beacon on the front of the bike helps break that pattern.

cams

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Driver arrested just now....seven counts of negligence homicide.
Also heard he is being charged with being a fugitive from justice. Not sure what that’s about yet unless he was ordered back to NH and failed to return.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0

cams

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Certainly bad optics, and not defending him one bit, but going to the beach is still legal so there’s obv more to it.

Coda

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
... Just hand him over to the MC ....
Good idea………. A lot of these MC’s are affiliated, and if these guys are affiliated with any certain 1% MC's in MA this guy is in deep shit. The latest news mentioned how he was so upset he stayed in his room and won’t come out. Scared may be the real reason.

EddieZoom

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Makes me sick to think about....just terrible. I ride. Just got back from a long weekend up north...it's the only thing anyone wanted to talk about everywhere I went.

radioman

NES Member
Rating - 96%
24   1   0
Are you sure on this one?
I thought airbrakes required an
endorsement even if they are on a bicycle?

Woodstock

NES Member
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
The truck team trooper who did my audit and the MSP Commercial Vehicle Operations book both said that 10,000 trailer behind a 26,000 truck is still class D. The book is in my truck, and I'll look for the paragraph.
A 26,000 GVW truck is in the same class as a 12,000 GVW F350 for registration purposes, and I don't think all the guys hauling Bobcats and farm tractors behind F450s carry Class A licenses.
On the air brake question, the truck team trooper knew I didn't have a CDL or an air brake endorsement, and stated clearly I didn't need one for a 26,000 GVW truck. If it were any heavier I would need both.

deerdad

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Seeing in the news this piece of excrement was also arrested for a Home Depot burglary. Watching him in court, he is showing no remorse for what happened. He REALLY should have been trapped in the burning truck and dead. He's a real winner.

Greg

jpk

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Sympathy/prayers for the families/victims goes without saying

But do you think the NH armchair speculators could make some time to call the gov's office about veto-ing unconstitutional confiscation/restriction bills too?

DPR

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The truck team trooper who did my audit and the MSP Commercial Vehicle Operations book both said that 10,000 trailer behind a 26,000 truck is still class D. The book is in my truck, and I'll look for the paragraph.
A 26,000 GVW truck is in the same class as a 12,000 GVW F350 for registration purposes, and I don't think all the guys hauling Bobcats and farm tractors behind F450s carry Class A licenses.
On the air brake question, the truck team trooper knew I didn't have a CDL or an air brake endorsement, and stated clearly I didn't need one for a 26,000 GVW truck. If it were any heavier I would need both.
It's simple but people get confused on GVW and GCVW and the 10K trailer....and how 26K figures into it. GVW or GCVWR 26K or less =no CDL required no matter the size of the trailer. GVW or GCVWR>26k=CDLB required. GCVWR>26K with the trailer >10K=CDLA required.

xjma99

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess if it’s a motor home you
can drive an 80,000lb semi on a D license.
Nothing bad could happen there?
My buddy owns a semi truck and trailer, registers it as a motor home (it has sleeping quarters) and tows his race car with it. Just says ‘not for hire’ on the doors, no cdl required.

DPR

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know people with class A motorhomes with air brakes that claim they don't need a CDL or air brake endorsement ... and they weigh in between 30,000 and 40,000 lbs.
If you're not operating a commercial vehicle you do not need a commercial vehicle operators license (CDL)

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
My buddy owns a semi truck and trailer, registers it as a motor home (it has sleeping quarters) and tows his race car with it. Just says ‘not for hire’ on the doors, no cdl required.
It has to have more than that, I think it has to have a bed, a sink and a shitter in it at a bare minimum to fit under the RV exemption.

-Mike

Dadstoys

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Apparently both he and the company he worked for have a sketchy history.
According to the news tonight , they have had 67 some odd safety violation citations .
Seven of which involved brake issues and several other of their drivers getting busted for drugs.

appraiser

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Turtleboysports.com is all over the driver, he is a real P.O.S.

And remember this is NH, there is no CWOF and go home on this one.

I know someone who was involved in an accident where 1 person was killed, 2 others were injured.

He got 15 on the first count, 6 each on the additional, and they were not concurrent.

He had to do the time on the first one, then the second, then the third.

toss in the suspended license pending trial for a previous DWI arrest in CT recently and he is going to be carried out of Concord in a body bag

Last edited:
Top Bottom