1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

7 killed , 3 hurt in motorcycle-truck accident in Randolph NH

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by calsdad, Jun 21, 2019.

1. rudiewhitebwoy

rudiewhitebwoy NES Life Member NES Member

I know a fact. I've been up here all week, we usually eat @ Yaya's, as we did today. The owner told me the group had stopped there just before the accident. They had hung around for a while and shot the shit. He said the were Marines and were doing a charity run. He said they were really nice guys, he was visibly shaken. My wife came running outside when it happened. I asked her how she heard, she said her cousin, in Jamaica, had posted it on her Facebook page. I guess bad news travels fast, and far. We were going to come back that way from Porcfest, but we wound up coming back on Rt.3, almost hit a Moose on the way home. So sad, RIP.

Attached Files:

KBCraig likes this.

2. robjax

robjax

very sad. thoughts and prayers to the victims, their families and friends.

3. 10thSFFD

10thSFFD NES Member

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...ory.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.1c99b383165c

The owner of a company that employs the truck driver identified as involved in a deadly collision with motorcycles says he can’t reach the driver.

Dartanyan Gasanov is the owner of Westfield Transport of Springfield, Massachusetts. He told The Boston Globe on Saturday that Volodoymyr Zhukovskyy “doesn’t answer the phone calls.”

New Hampshire Deputy Attorney General Jane Young says Zhukovskyy survived and didn’t need to be hospitalized.

No one has been criminally charged. Gasanov told The Globe he planned to speak with investigators Monday.
    -------------
    Transportation's Company HQ:
    90 Allison Lane.jpg
    ----------------

Summary:
    Volodoymyr Zhukovskyy, the driver, probably originally from Ukraine, has survived and is nowhere to be found. o_O

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
    pupchow likes this.
  4. timbo

timbo Navy Veteran NES Member

RIP Marines...

I did the "tourist" loop yesterday...from home up 28 to 16 through North Conway (traffic was surprisingly light) up through Crawford's Notch on 302 to Twin Mt, my home town, shot the sh*t with the woman at the info booth there whom I've known since I was a kid, came back home via Rt3 through Franconia Notch, etc...about 250 miles.

I stopped several times to rest, have coffee, lunch, etc. Everywhere I stopped were bikes and the topic of conversation in every case was this accident.

I only sensed overwhelming sadness...this hit close to home for any and all riders. We may or may not have known them but we riders all share the same passion and solidarity that binds us.

We all agreed that driver distraction has become epidemic but also agreed that it's not only those in "cages" (autos/trucks) but also those that ride. I personally have seen cellphone usage by riders while they ride. Riders can now be connected to their phones by bluetooth with in ear contraptions. Heck, I won't even put music on my bike...the music I listen to is the rhythm of the bike and listen for those around me.

My heart is broken for the families and loved ones of those whose lives were lost that day. Life is so precious and events like this make us take stock of those things we hold dear. We never know what the next second holds.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
    whatluck, Fixxah, KBCraig and 6 others like this.
  5. timbo

Does anyone know where these Marines were from? I thought I saw a comment about them being from South Shore.

6. TC McQuade

TC McQuade NES Member

I'm pretty sure they are from East Bridgewater

Story about them

timbo likes this.
  7. Len-2A Training

Len-2A Training Instructor Instructor NES Life Member NES Member

The police probably have his phone, doing forensics on it to see if he was using it at the time of the crash.

Absolutely horrific. My heart goes out to those involved, Families and friends. If they are from the South Shore, I am certain that a friend of mine is a member of that MC club! [halfmast]

richc and timbo like this.
  8. timbo

Thanks for the info...

9. jpk

jpk

The law wrt over 10k is that if its for commercial/pay/$$$ purposes you need a CDL

If its for personal use you dont

10. jpk

jpk

Root cause is most likely the driver of truck/trailer

I will almost guarantee that a major contributing factor in the number of involved MC's is a factor of them riding in "formation" as a group.

You ride in a group and you have no where to go to avoid an obstacle.

6 bikes in a tight group passed me on 93 yesterday and end to end they occupied a space of less than 2 car lengths....if thats not an accident waiting to happen I dont know what is

dingbat, richc and timbo like this.
  11. Drix

Drix

Geesh, I don't begrudge side by side as it might make them easier to see, but you still gotta match your car lengths, just because you're in a pack doesn't mean your reflexes have gotten better.

12. DPR

DPR NES Member

No need for a cdl under 26K. Truck or truck\trailer over 26k requires cdl.

13. DitchDigger

DitchDigger NES Member

If I’m not mistaken any combination with a trailer over 10k is a CDL class A

14. Zappa

Zappa Road Warrior NES Member

This^

15. alpineboard

alpineboard

One possibility is, big heavy trailer, (yes, unloaded, but still heavy for vehicle towing it), jack knifed, and got into high speed wobble. Driver may have been over the line a bit, and due to inattention, panic corrected too quickly to the right, the the heavy trailer sent him into the left on the wobble rebound.
    Just saw this happen the other day I93 , with a low experience trailer driver, steering way to quickly on lane changes, and the large trailer was throwing him around. Big trailers need to be turned slowly , like an ocean liner, easy and gentle. Or driver will find out the hard way.

16. slugworth

slugworth

17. kalash

kalash

You guys are worse than BLM at speculating before any information is available.

JRLB, whatluck, Fixxah and 4 others like this.
  18. BlackwaterFence

BlackwaterFence NES Member

R.I.P. Marines
    No need for CDL under 26k but DOT numbers and Medical card required over 10k>26k if commercial plates

19. timbo

Clean your skivvies much kid? It looks like he might have had the load too far back on the trailer. At least 2/3 of the weight should be in front of the axles if memory serves me correctly.

slugworth likes this.
  20. timbo

21. Asaltweapon

Asaltweapon NES Member

I forget the details but yes, if owned by a company. There is some screwy cutoff point on GVWR that I never paid attention too because I didn’t have to.

22. Soundwave

Soundwave

10,001+ lbs. you need a commercial inspection. I believe they just changed the law so you don't need commercial plates if only for personal use.

23. Gasgunner

Gasgunner NES Member

The combination has to exceed 26,000. When it does it’s Class A.

24. calsdad

calsdad NES Member

That whole "easier to see" thing has bugged me for decades. I hear the bikers claim they ride side by side to make themselves easier to see - but I've never noticed any appreciable difference between "seeing" a single lone bike or two side by side.

I've been driving for decades - and it was probably 20 years ago when they started the big push for headlights on during the day so " you could be seen " . Yet I never noticed any appreciable difference between "seeing" car with the headlights on or off - DURING THE DAY. At night it's obviously another story.

The other day I was outside in the my front yard - and hear a car going by and happen to look up just in time to see it run over a raccoon. The guy hit the brakes momentarily - hit the raccoon square on - and then drove off. Right after that a second raccoon runs out in the street over towards the one that just got hit. These were young juvenile-sized raccoons. Just as the 2nd coon is doing that another car comes down the road - and almost hits him but he bolted off into the woods. The thing is - the driver had a few HUNDRED feed to see this thing - I saw him clearly and I was at least 100 feet away from him. So after that car passed - the 2nd coon comes running out again straight for the now dead 1st coon. Along comes another car - and hits the 2nd guy before I could do anything. It looked like he just caught the side of the tire or something - because he bounced a few times and then ran off into the woods.

But I was standing there thinking " WTF - those two drivers should have CLEARLY saw that 2nd coon - they never even really slowed down".

This is a residential neighborhood - with some teenage kids occasionally walking up the street and stuff like that.

In my experience: people simply don't pay attention to shit. They run things over they should have avoided, smash into other cars, run over animals - etc. Really makes me wonder about how driving tests should be administered before getting a license. Maybe it's because I have ridden a motorcycle since I was a teen, but I notice almost everything. I've seen chipmunks sitting at the edge of the road and swerved to avoid them. I don't think most people would see a friggin moose standing at the side of the road.

The eye tests they give to get a license only tell about 5% of the story. What they should administer is a "can you pay phucking attention" test. I'd be willing to bet that 75% of the drivers on the road would be prove to be *fundamentally* incapable of doing so.

10thSFFD, BBQ.Uncle, timbo and 2 others like this.
  25. KBCraig

KBCraig NES Member

Classic case of not knowing to steer straight when the oscillation starts. When he feels it and steers to counter, he actually creates a bigger whip. Bumper pulls are bad at whipping, but it happens with fifth wheels too.

I almost got killed by a truck towing some massive piece of equipment. I was going the other way, in the right hand of a three lane up hill, and he was coming down. I saw him start to whip, and I punched the throttle, hoping to get out of his way before he got to me. The 1987 Plymouth Horizon I was driving didn't sputter for once, and actually hauled ass (to the degree it could).

Good thing, because if I had braked, or if the car hadn't responded correctly, I would have been sitting exactly where that massive load swung all the way into the ditch on my side before whipping a donut and pulling the towing truck backwards off the hill on his side.

August 1989; I was on my way to Dallas for my first job interview after leaving the Army.

mibro likes this.
  26. Boris

Boris Son of Kalashnikov NES Member

this is a terrible tragedy. RIP.

SERE likes this.
  27. SERE

SERE NES Life Member NES Member

Bump.

Click here to support Jarheads MC - Victims and Families support organized by Doug Hayward

Jarheads MC - Victims and Families support

On Friday, June 21st 2019 Jarheads MC was riding to a charity event at the local American Legion in Gorham, New Hampshire Post #82. Our pack was struck by an oncoming vehicle and we lost 5 patch holders and 2 supporters, and many others are injured. Our club and the families are going to need help and we cannot do it alone. I am pleading with you all, please do what you can, and 100% of the funds raised will go where it is needed to help ease some of the financial burden left behind after this tragic event. Jarheads MC has always been about helping veterans and their families. Please help us now and give what you can. Everything you can do is appreciated. We are strong enough to get through this, but we ask for and need your support.

Names and conditions of all will not be shared at this time as we are still being impacted by news as it arrives. We will be in New Hampshire the rest of the weekend supporting our friends and families.

*Jarheads Motorcycle Club is a club consisting of active duty or honorably discharged Marines and FMF Corpsmen. We ride and serve veterans and veteran families in our committees, with chapters in Massachusetts, New Hampshire, and Maine.

DPR and TC McQuade like this.
  28. Fixxah

Fixxah NES Member

I had that happen when I was hauling a backhoe on an eight wheel eager beaver trailer with an F-750 on that curved section of rte.3 in Braintree under Washington St. Headed south. No seat belt back then and only one chain on the tractor. Real close to death. Never again.

slugworth likes this.
  29. radioman

radioman NES Member

30. Woodstock

Woodstock NES Member

Not exactly. Truck up to 26,000 can pull a trailer up to 10,000 and still be driven with a class D license and a medical card in MA, even with air brakes. Exceed either of those numbers and it's a class B or class A, and air brakes will require an endorsement.

mwalsh9152 likes this.