7 killed , 3 hurt in motorcycle-truck accident in Randolph NH

Broccoli Iglesias

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have been in the car insurance biz for 25 years, the number of accidents has definitely increased. When a client calls and says little Suzy got into an accident I don’t even have to ask, it’s an IV RE OV (Insured Vehicle Rear Ended Other Vehicle), usually when they’re stopped at a signal.
Im curious ... The number of drivers also increased. Did the number of accidents increase by a greater percentage?

timbo

Navy Veteran
NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Is it just me or does anybody else not understand the whole riding in groups thing? I've been riding since the 1970s and I've never had the desire to ride with a group of motorcycles. In the first place it's hard to get the timing down so thar

I never got the whole group ride thing. I've been riding since the 70s and I've logged a few miles and I've never had the urge to hook up with a bunch of other bikes. I like to set my own pace and keep my own distance from other traffic.
Say it wasn't motorcycles. I drive a Chevy Silverado. Imagine if me and 30 other Silverado drivers got together and drove around in a clump on a Saturday morning? It would seem pretty weird.
I am a lone rider. I've ridden in groups and hate it...for me, it doesn't make for an enjoyable ride at all. I don't do it anymore. Sometimes I will ride with one other person but even that's rare. I like to putt...stop where I want, stay as long as I want where I stop. You really can't do that riding with another person ahead or behind you.

SpaceCritter

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a lone rider. I've ridden in groups and hate it...for me, it doesn't make for an enjoyable ride at all. I don't do it anymore. Sometimes I will ride with one other person but even that's rare. I like to putt...stop where I want, stay as long as I want where I stop. You really can't do that riding with another person ahead or behind you.
I never understood it with mountain biking, either. It's actually one of my MTB Categoricals: Nay Group Rides. I'm there in the woods to get AWAY from the f***ing humans.

Yet they're a huge demand.

timbo

Navy Veteran
NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Terrible, terrible thing. Rest in peace, all.

I'm riding to Texas in two weeks, then on to Montana, rode cross country last May. Distracted drivers are my worst fear. I really don't like riding in groups although this could have just as easily happened with a single bike, in a group I feel as though you are surrendering some control, but that's just me.

Sincere condolences to their families and friends.
My experience riding long distance/cross country is once you get out the Northeast corridors, traffic thins out and the idiot drivers are more spread out.

Broccoli Iglesias

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I never understood it with mountain biking, either. It's actually one of my MTB Categoricals: Nay Group Rides. I'm there in the woods to get AWAY from the f***ing humans.

Yet they're a huge demand.
With groups you are forced to keep up with them. Go at their speed, do what they want. I also hate going out with groups. I like to start when I want, go where I want as fast as I want and stop where I want for as long as I want.

Hustler One

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Very sad and i couldnt imagine what i would do to that guy if i survived or a loved one was involved. This is why im done riding.

timbo

Navy Veteran
NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
With groups you are forced to keep up with them. Go at their speed, do what they want. I also hate going out with groups. I like to start when I want, go where I want as fast as I want and stop where I want for as long as I want.
Someone once said "He who travels alone, travels fastest" and I would add, "and happier"...

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Using your phone while driving should be treated like drunk driving. Maybe even more severely. At least the drunks are trying to look at the road.
I've never seen a drunk driver act as badly on the road as I've seen multiple people who were on their cellphones act.

Like you said: most of the drunk drivers I've seen are actually making an attempt to steer their car down the road in in the correct lane. The cellphone drivers aren't even making that feeble attempt.

timbo

Navy Veteran
NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
They probably weren't on the wrong side of the road, but both parties were likely hugging the middle.

People hug or ride on the dividing lines these days.
In all the riding classes I've taken over the years, we were told that a bike should ride in what would be the same track as the left hand (driver's side) tires would be on an automobile. I'm not sure if that's what you mean by "hugging the dividing lines".

You shouldn't ride down the center of your lane as that is where oils from vehicles end up which can and do become almost like riding on icy roads if it rains. This is especially true if you live in a place where it rarely rains and then all that oil is adding to itself. When it eventually rains, all that oil becomes a terrible hazard. Hell, even cars have problems with it.

Also, riding in the left tire track takes you out of the blind spot of the vehicle in front of you. They can see you in their side view and rear view mirrors.

If you ride with more than one rider, the first rider is supposed to ride in the left track, the second rider is in the right track behind the first rider, third in the left track behind the second an so on. I hate seeing bikes riding parallel to each other when they are in groups. It leaves no room for error. This is not the Blue Angels after all.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Is an NTSB investigation typical for a collision like this incident?
View: https://twitter.com/NTSB_Newsroom/status/1142434482030559232?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwgme.com%2Fnews%2Flocal%2F7-killed-3-hurt-in-nh-crash-involving-several-motorcycles

National Transportation Safety Board - Wikipedia

• Surface Transportation: The NTSB has the authority to investigate all highway accidents and incidents, including incidents at railway grade crossings, "in cooperation with a State".[2] The NTSB has primary jurisdiction over railway accidents and incidents which result in death or significant property damage, or which involve a passenger train.[2]

Last edited:

Buck F

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Im curious ... The number of drivers also increased. Did the number of accidents increase by a greater percentage?
I haven’t looked at the driver number data but that’s a great question. I have looked at policy and vehicle count which has a linear increase over the years. The number of calls for rear end accidents has increased exponentially although I’ll be honest and say that’s my opinion/perception rather than hard data. The cost of these accidents has definitely increased, there are few cheap fender benders out there, no such thing as pulling dents, bumpers have to come off for even the smallest damage and then there are airbag sensors and cameras to deal with now. I clipped the passenger side mirror on my SO’s Infiniti, cracked the outer plastic casing. $2,200 because the only option was to replace even though the only damage was to the plastic casing. The mirror has a motor and a camera (it’s one of those 360 degree surround views w front, rear and two wide angle cameras mounted under the side mirrors). Buying the part online, used, was $599 plus install. She ended up giving the car to a niece without fixing it.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I also ride on the roads, non motor. I put a flashing white beacon on the front and the red one on the back, I wear day glow Jerseys. I tell people that if I get whacked it’ll be from the front, not behind. From behind you’ll get pushed in the direction you’re traveling in, most likely onto the shoulder and not into incoming traffic. The close calls are people pulling out from a side street or making a left across traffic, it’s worse when you’re going downhill. Sometimes you can see them freeze at the last moment when they see you.
I don't ride, but I do run. I can't tell you the number of close calls I've had because of people texting, or otherwise not paying attention to the road. I've even had one a**h*** jump the sidewalk to get around someone waiting to take a left hand turn. Had I not been running toward them, and promptly jumped out of the way, I might not be here typing this right now. It's not like people can't see me either. I'm always wearing a bright yellow shirt that Helen Keller, Ray Charles and Stevie Wonder could all see from a mile away.

Buck F

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Funny. My last two accidents - years apart - were women rear-ending me while stopped: one at a light, the second at a stop sign. The former almost ended in a court battle: she was driving estranged hubby's ride, and there were questions as to whether she "had permission" to do so. Me: don't care - it's your insured vehicle. Take that up with your customer. Insurer didn't want to pay.
Shouldn’t be a problem if you had collision coverage, as long as you could ID the other vehicle/driver they waive your deductible & no surcharge (in MA). Whether or not your insurance company can recover from the other insurance company is their problem, not yours. It also shouldn’t be an issue re permission under those circumstances, if she had access to the car and is married, whether estranged or not, he and his policy eat it. None of my carriers would be able to deny coverage based on that. If you didn’t have Collision and we’re making a third party claim they may have made a feeble attempt to deny to see if you’d go away but I can’t see a carrier getting away with that. If permission was a reason to deny a claim people would say their child/relative/friend/roommate didn’t have permission in order to avoid their insurance company denying the claim. If only that were the case my loss ratios would be a lot lower, lol.

The5thDentist

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
In all the riding classes I've taken over the years, we were told that a bike should ride in what would be the same track as the left hand (driver's side) tires would be on an automobile. I'm not sure if that's what you mean by "hugging the dividing lines".

You shouldn't ride down the center of your lane as that is where oils from vehicles end up which can and do become almost like riding on icy roads if it rains. This is especially true if you live in a place where it rarely rains and then all that oil is adding to itself. When it eventually rains, all that oil becomes a terrible hazard. Hell, even cars have problems with it.

Also, riding in the left tire track takes you out of the blind spot of the vehicle in front of you. They can see you in their side view and rear view mirrors.

If you ride with more than one rider, the first rider is supposed to ride in the left track, the second rider is in the right track behind the first rider, third in the left track behind the second an so on. I hate seeing bikes riding parallel to each other when they are in groups. It leaves no room for error. This is not the Blue Angels after all.

What you describe is smart riding, and I don't doubt that the guys killed were probably not at fault.
What I'm talking about are people hugging the double yellow, etc.. Yes, I've seen guys on Harleys do this. I've even seen the occasional moron stick their leg out like they are daring the oncoming traffic to hit them.

Lots of a-holes out there.

Keep both eyes open and stay safe, everyone.

Greg

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Is it just me or does anybody else not understand the whole riding in groups thing? I've been riding since the 1970s and I've never had the desire to ride with a group of motorcycles. In the first place it's hard to get the timing down so thar

I never got the whole group ride thing. I've been riding since the 70s and I've logged a few miles and I've never had the urge to hook up with a bunch of other bikes. I like to set my own pace and keep my own distance from other traffic.
Say it wasn't motorcycles. I drive a Chevy Silverado. Imagine if me and 30 other Silverado drivers got together and drove around in a clump on a Saturday morning? It would seem pretty weird.
I went on a group ride once with a bunch of people of varying skill levels,it wasnt fun more like a "look at me and my bike" parade.

Riding by myself gets kinda boring,I like to talk about the turns and talk shit afterwards on breaks.

5 or 6 people is cool as long as everybody is expected to not stay together..Riding 2 abreast is gay..and dangerous. I see a lot of HD guys ride like this,gives a rider a lot less room to react to the unexpected.

appraiser

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
There is a big difference between going on a poker run or some such BS or riding in close quarters with guys you know, you know their riding style, you know their braking style, etc.

I won't do a poker run or group ride with people I do not personally know, but when I was active in the PGR I tried to meet up with the same folks and ride with them. The PGR had very little tolerance for showboat riders

I ride with a small group of older men ( 70+) in Florida, I am comfortable being close to them as I have over the years figured out how they operate as a group WRT riding style.

You can bet the Jarheads MC were used to riding in close proximity to each other...

They lost 5 patched members and 2 others in this accident BTW

TC McQuade

NES Member
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Fund Raiser
Jarheads MC - Victims and Families support

Jarheads Motorcycle Club is a club consisting of active duty or honorably discharged Marines and FMF Corpsmen. We ride and serve veterans and veteran families in our committees, with chapters in Massachusetts, New Hampshire, and Maine.

On June 21st 2019 Jarheads MC was riding to a charity event at the local American Legion in Gorham, New Hampshire Post #82. Our pack was struck by an oncoming vehicle and we lost 5 patch holders and 2 supporters, and many others are injured. Our club and the families are going to need help and we cannot do it alone. I am pleading with you all, please do what you can, and this money will go where it is needed to help ease some of the burden of these victims families. Jarheads MC has always been about helping veterans and their families and sadly, today we are in need of that same support.

We will be in New Hampshire the rest of the weekend supporting our friends and families.

greencobra

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Riding 2 abreast is gay..and dangerous. I see a lot of HD guys ride like this,gives a rider a lot less room to react to the unexpected.
i don't ride but i've encountered a situation a few times where 2 abreast riders in the right lane start to drift in close to each other. the rider on the left looks like he may do a sudden move to get some space and over corrects, the bike heading into the other lane, either heading into a vehicle along side trying to pass them or into the path of a vehicle moving in that lane.

Woodstock

NES Member
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Terrible story. Prayers for those who were lost and for their families.
Trucking company owner says Vlod was a new driver and it was his second trip. Gotta wonder if the trailer did something unexpected and got the truck loose. I've pulled a heavy trailer thousands of miles with an F 350, and if the trailer brake controller is set too high the trailer can skid and jackknife. Set too low, it can push the truck and turn it sideways. We may never know.

KBCraig

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This accident was about 15 miles east of me. I've consumed all I can find about it, and it's all horrific.

Contrary to the maps you've seen, it wasn't near Lowe's Garage, which is flat and level. It was just east of the Jefferson View Motel and Cabins. I have a lot of time on that road, so I recognized the terrain, the two-car garage seen across the road from the scene, even the little cut-out where the truck crashed.

So, the obvious direct cause of the accident was that the truck driver crossed into the line of bikes. The cause could have been fatigue or distraction (whether from cell phone or just enjoying the scenery really doesn't matter in the end). Or, he might have drifted off the right shoulder, and over-corrected (again: could have been fatigue or distraction).

All of that will be sorted out in the end. Meanwhile, RIP Marines. :/

It was taught that way in the '70s when I started riding, along with hand signals starting with the leader and passed on back through the pack... something military folks should be familiar with.

Groups, whether motorcycles or cagers, tend to fall victim to group mentality and tunnel vision. They tend not to look at traffic as they would when solo, but focus on the one vehicle they're following, to the exclusion of all else. When I've had occasion to convoy in a group of cars and I wasn't driving, I frequently want to scream at whomever I'm riding with, because they think that in a 300 mile interstate drive, they'll somehow get lost if they don't constantly change lanes and hug the bumper of the lead car.

These riders had just started about a quarter mile from where they crashed, so I don't think that was the case here. It was over a rise and in a curve and they were just getting up to speed.

One last thing: many thanks to Gov. Sununu for his handling of the one a**h*** reporter from "Channel 3 in Vermont" who wanted to know if he would return to Concord and demand a helmet law, as if that would have mattered.

deerdad

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I know I shouldn't think like this but too bad the SOB didn't burn to death in his truck. I'm biased because I ride and have my daughter with me often. I always tell her, you have to pay attention because everyone is trying to kill you. It's one thing if someone is weaving around cars and riding dangerously but it's another when you're being careful and still have some A HOLE not paying attention crossing into your lane.

Greg

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Driver was in a RAM 2500, towing a car hauler flatbed.

He crossed the lines, overcorrected, and the trailer jackknifed, taking out ten bikes. If he didn't die on the crash, he probably wishes he was dead. He's got to be riddled with horrific guilt.

Top Bottom