1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

7 killed , 3 hurt in motorcycle-truck accident in Randolph NH

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by calsdad, Jun 21, 2019.

1. Broccoli Iglesias

Broccoli Iglesias NES Member

Im curious ... The number of drivers also increased. Did the number of accidents increase by a greater percentage?

2. pupchow

pupchow NES Member

3. wilson911

wilson911

Jeep owners are idiots.

(I own two jeeps).

bauer, KBCraig and DitchDigger like this.
  4. timbo

timbo Navy Veteran NES Member

I am a lone rider. I've ridden in groups and hate it...for me, it doesn't make for an enjoyable ride at all. I don't do it anymore. Sometimes I will ride with one other person but even that's rare. I like to putt...stop where I want, stay as long as I want where I stop. You really can't do that riding with another person ahead or behind you.

Greg, StevieP, ISOTOX and 3 others like this.
  5. SpaceCritter

SpaceCritter NES Member

I never understood it with mountain biking, either. It's actually one of my MTB Categoricals: Nay Group Rides. I'm there in the woods to get AWAY from the f***ing humans.

Yet they're a huge demand.

Canndo and timbo like this.
  6. timbo

My experience riding long distance/cross country is once you get out the Northeast corridors, traffic thins out and the idiot drivers are more spread out.

7. Broccoli Iglesias

Broccoli Iglesias NES Member

With groups you are forced to keep up with them. Go at their speed, do what they want. I also hate going out with groups. I like to start when I want, go where I want as fast as I want and stop where I want for as long as I want.

Beretta92FS and timbo like this.
  8. Hustler One

Hustler One NES Member

Very sad and i couldnt imagine what i would do to that guy if i survived or a loved one was involved. This is why im done riding.

ISOTOX likes this.
  9. Skysoldier

Skysoldier Forum Curmudgeon NES Member

Hard to know what happened, but pure logic tells me that more than a few bikers would have to make a mistake to kill 7 people,
    but it only takes one mistake on the part of the truck driver...….

AHM, xtry51, Mountain and 3 others like this.
  10. timbo

Someone once said "He who travels alone, travels fastest" and I would add, "and happier"...

11. calsdad

calsdad NES Member

I've never seen a drunk driver act as badly on the road as I've seen multiple people who were on their cellphones act.

Like you said: most of the drunk drivers I've seen are actually making an attempt to steer their car down the road in in the correct lane. The cellphone drivers aren't even making that feeble attempt.

Boris, Coda, Prepper and 4 others like this.
  12. timbo

In all the riding classes I've taken over the years, we were told that a bike should ride in what would be the same track as the left hand (driver's side) tires would be on an automobile. I'm not sure if that's what you mean by "hugging the dividing lines".

You shouldn't ride down the center of your lane as that is where oils from vehicles end up which can and do become almost like riding on icy roads if it rains. This is especially true if you live in a place where it rarely rains and then all that oil is adding to itself. When it eventually rains, all that oil becomes a terrible hazard. Hell, even cars have problems with it.

Also, riding in the left tire track takes you out of the blind spot of the vehicle in front of you. They can see you in their side view and rear view mirrors.

If you ride with more than one rider, the first rider is supposed to ride in the left track, the second rider is in the right track behind the first rider, third in the left track behind the second an so on. I hate seeing bikes riding parallel to each other when they are in groups. It leaves no room for error. This is not the Blue Angels after all.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
    massgun, drgelinas, BBQ.Uncle and 6 others like this.
  13. calsdad

calsdad NES Member

View: https://twitter.com/NTSB_Newsroom/status/1142434482030559232?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwgme.com%2Fnews%2Flocal%2F7-killed-3-hurt-in-nh-crash-involving-several-motorcycles

National Transportation Safety Board - Wikipedia

• Surface Transportation: The NTSB has the authority to investigate all highway accidents and incidents, including incidents at railway grade crossings, "in cooperation with a State".[2] The NTSB has primary jurisdiction over railway accidents and incidents which result in death or significant property damage, or which involve a passenger train.[2]

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
  14. buckfarack

buckfarack NES Member

I haven’t looked at the driver number data but that’s a great question. I have looked at policy and vehicle count which has a linear increase over the years. The number of calls for rear end accidents has increased exponentially although I’ll be honest and say that’s my opinion/perception rather than hard data. The cost of these accidents has definitely increased, there are few cheap fender benders out there, no such thing as pulling dents, bumpers have to come off for even the smallest damage and then there are airbag sensors and cameras to deal with now. I clipped the passenger side mirror on my SO’s Infiniti, cracked the outer plastic casing. $2,200 because the only option was to replace even though the only damage was to the plastic casing. The mirror has a motor and a camera (it’s one of those 360 degree surround views w front, rear and two wide angle cameras mounted under the side mirrors). Buying the part online, used, was $599 plus install. She ended up giving the car to a niece without fixing it.

15. Pete85

Pete85

I don't ride, but I do run. I can't tell you the number of close calls I've had because of people texting, or otherwise not paying attention to the road. I've even had one a**h*** jump the sidewalk to get around someone waiting to take a left hand turn. Had I not been running toward them, and promptly jumped out of the way, I might not be here typing this right now. It's not like people can't see me either. I'm always wearing a bright yellow shirt that Helen Keller, Ray Charles and Stevie Wonder could all see from a mile away.

buckfarack and timbo like this.
  16. buckfarack

buckfarack NES Member

Shouldn’t be a problem if you had collision coverage, as long as you could ID the other vehicle/driver they waive your deductible & no surcharge (in MA). Whether or not your insurance company can recover from the other insurance company is their problem, not yours. It also shouldn’t be an issue re permission under those circumstances, if she had access to the car and is married, whether estranged or not, he and his policy eat it. None of my carriers would be able to deny coverage based on that. If you didn’t have Collision and we’re making a third party claim they may have made a feeble attempt to deny to see if you’d go away but I can’t see a carrier getting away with that. If permission was a reason to deny a claim people would say their child/relative/friend/roommate didn’t have permission in order to avoid their insurance company denying the claim. If only that were the case my loss ratios would be a lot lower, lol.

17. ISOTOX

ISOTOX NES Member

N of the Rebublic. SE of Alba and W of Ling Ling
    Prayers sent for those that lost their lives and the family they left behind.

Who really gives a f*** about insurances advice or statistics.....Or the I know someone that was in an accident....Blah Blah Blah.

gasaman and zboys like this.
  18. ISOTOX

ISOTOX NES Member

N of the Rebublic. SE of Alba and W of Ling Ling

No but you managed to prompt the question.....Trolling again are you? Seems to be your thing.

Nick Fury likes this.
  19. The5thDentist

The5thDentist NES Life Member NES Member

What you describe is smart riding, and I don't doubt that the guys killed were probably not at fault.
    What I'm talking about are people hugging the double yellow, etc.. Yes, I've seen guys on Harleys do this. I've even seen the occasional moron stick their leg out like they are daring the oncoming traffic to hit them.

Lots of a-holes out there.

Keep both eyes open and stay safe, everyone.

timbo likes this.
  20. wilson911

wilson911

Trolling by stating an obvious observation? Good one dude.

21. Greg

Greg

ISOTOX likes this.
  22. Greg

Greg

I went on a group ride once with a bunch of people of varying skill levels,it wasnt fun more like a "look at me and my bike" parade.

Riding by myself gets kinda boring,I like to talk about the turns and talk shit afterwards on breaks.

5 or 6 people is cool as long as everybody is expected to not stay together..Riding 2 abreast is gay..and dangerous. I see a lot of HD guys ride like this,gives a rider a lot less room to react to the unexpected.

ISOTOX and drgrant like this.
  23. TC McQuade

TC McQuade NES Member

Truck Operator (Volodoymyr Zhukovskyy) sure looks like the guy on the phone in the picture below.

Volodoymyr Zhukovskyy
    upload_2019-6-22_21-48-57.png

upload_2019-6-22_21-50-32.png

pupchow and wilson911 like this.
  24. appraiser

appraiser NES Member

There is a big difference between going on a poker run or some such BS or riding in close quarters with guys you know, you know their riding style, you know their braking style, etc.

I won't do a poker run or group ride with people I do not personally know, but when I was active in the PGR I tried to meet up with the same folks and ride with them. The PGR had very little tolerance for showboat riders

I ride with a small group of older men ( 70+) in Florida, I am comfortable being close to them as I have over the years figured out how they operate as a group WRT riding style.

You can bet the Jarheads MC were used to riding in close proximity to each other...

They lost 5 patched members and 2 others in this accident BTW

Toe Knee likes this.
  25. TC McQuade

TC McQuade NES Member

Fund Raiser
    Jarheads MC - Victims and Families support

Jarheads Motorcycle Club is a club consisting of active duty or honorably discharged Marines and FMF Corpsmen. We ride and serve veterans and veteran families in our committees, with chapters in Massachusetts, New Hampshire, and Maine.

On June 21st 2019 Jarheads MC was riding to a charity event at the local American Legion in Gorham, New Hampshire Post #82. Our pack was struck by an oncoming vehicle and we lost 5 patch holders and 2 supporters, and many others are injured. Our club and the families are going to need help and we cannot do it alone. I am pleading with you all, please do what you can, and this money will go where it is needed to help ease some of the burden of these victims families. Jarheads MC has always been about helping veterans and their families and sadly, today we are in need of that same support.

We will be in New Hampshire the rest of the weekend supporting our friends and families.

[​IMG]

fencer likes this.
  26. greencobra

greencobra NES Member

i don't ride but i've encountered a situation a few times where 2 abreast riders in the right lane start to drift in close to each other. the rider on the left looks like he may do a sudden move to get some space and over corrects, the bike heading into the other lane, either heading into a vehicle along side trying to pass them or into the path of a vehicle moving in that lane.

27. Woodstock

Woodstock NES Member

Terrible story. Prayers for those who were lost and for their families.
    Trucking company owner says Vlod was a new driver and it was his second trip. Gotta wonder if the trailer did something unexpected and got the truck loose. I've pulled a heavy trailer thousands of miles with an F 350, and if the trailer brake controller is set too high the trailer can skid and jackknife. Set too low, it can push the truck and turn it sideways. We may never know.

Mountain and ISOTOX like this.
  28. KBCraig

KBCraig NES Member

This accident was about 15 miles east of me. I've consumed all I can find about it, and it's all horrific.

Contrary to the maps you've seen, it wasn't near Lowe's Garage, which is flat and level. It was just east of the Jefferson View Motel and Cabins. I have a lot of time on that road, so I recognized the terrain, the two-car garage seen across the road from the scene, even the little cut-out where the truck crashed.

So, the obvious direct cause of the accident was that the truck driver crossed into the line of bikes. The cause could have been fatigue or distraction (whether from cell phone or just enjoying the scenery really doesn't matter in the end). Or, he might have drifted off the right shoulder, and over-corrected (again: could have been fatigue or distraction).

All of that will be sorted out in the end. Meanwhile, RIP Marines. :/

It was taught that way in the '70s when I started riding, along with hand signals starting with the leader and passed on back through the pack... something military folks should be familiar with.

Groups, whether motorcycles or cagers, tend to fall victim to group mentality and tunnel vision. They tend not to look at traffic as they would when solo, but focus on the one vehicle they're following, to the exclusion of all else. When I've had occasion to convoy in a group of cars and I wasn't driving, I frequently want to scream at whomever I'm riding with, because they think that in a 300 mile interstate drive, they'll somehow get lost if they don't constantly change lanes and hug the bumper of the lead car.

These riders had just started about a quarter mile from where they crashed, so I don't think that was the case here. It was over a rise and in a curve and they were just getting up to speed.

One last thing: many thanks to Gov. Sununu for his handling of the one a**h*** reporter from "Channel 3 in Vermont" who wanted to know if he would return to Concord and demand a helmet law, as if that would have mattered.

Boris, xtry51 and ISOTOX like this.
  29. deerdad

deerdad NES Member

I know I shouldn't think like this but too bad the SOB didn't burn to death in his truck. I'm biased because I ride and have my daughter with me often. I always tell her, you have to pay attention because everyone is trying to kill you. It's one thing if someone is weaving around cars and riding dangerously but it's another when you're being careful and still have some A HOLE not paying attention crossing into your lane.

Greg

30. StevieP

StevieP NES Member

Driver was in a RAM 2500, towing a car hauler flatbed.

He crossed the lines, overcorrected, and the trailer jackknifed, taking out ten bikes. If he didn't die on the crash, he probably wishes he was dead. He's got to be riddled with horrific guilt.