7 killed , 3 hurt in motorcycle-truck accident in Randolph NH

TC McQuade

NES Member
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
NH To Suspend 4,000 Licenses After Deadly Crash Prompts DMV Review

New Hampshire plans to suspend the licenses of nearly 4,000 drivers in the latest fallout following a June crash that killed seven motorcyclists, Gov. Chris Sununu said Wednesday. The Republican governor said the review of the Division of Motor Vehicles sparked by the deadly crash that was just released led authorities to catch up on notifications it had that dated back to July 2016. Sununu said the department is now caught up and more than 37,000 DMV infractions have been looked at.

“What we have learned through the process allows us to both challenge and assist other states as they hopefully undergo the same exercise,” Sununu said.

Further out, Sununu is recommending legislative changes that would allow the DMV to share notifications for all drivers, not just those in states which participate in the REAL ID program. The state is also hoping to encourage municipalities in New Hampshire to automate the sharing of notifications with the state. Currently, most mail paper notifications to the DMV.

AHM

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New Hampshire plans to suspend the licenses of nearly 4,000 drivers in the latest fallout following a June crash that killed seven motorcyclists, Gov. Chris Sununu said Wednesday. The Republican governor said the review of the Division of Motor Vehicles sparked by the deadly crash that was just released led authorities to catch up on notifications it had that dated back to July 2016. Sununu said the department is now caught up and more than 37,000 DMV infractions have been looked at
I heard a soundbite of the press conference,
and I could swear that the figure Sununu quoted
for the number of unprocessed transactions in the NH "tub" (<= my term)
dating back to July 2016 was in the "mere" (<= my term) double-digits.

The video of the press conference is over 36 minutes long,
so I haven't watched the whole thing to try and find it.

10thSFFD

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Truck driver faces 16 new charges in deadly N.H. motorcycle crash - The Boston Globe

A Massachusetts man is facing 16 new charges after a New Hampshire grand jury handed up indictments related to the horrific crash in June that killed seven motorcyclists and exposed widespread problems at the Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles.

Volodymyr Zhukovskyy, 23, previously had been charged with seven counts of negligent homicide. The indictment added seven counts of negligent homicide while driving under the influence, seven counts of reckless manslaughter, and one count each of aggravated driving while intoxicated and reckless conduct with a deadly weapon — his 2016 Dodge pickup truck.

Authorities have said Zhukovskyy was high on drugs and reaching for a drink when the pickup he was driving with an attached trailer crossed over the yellow line on Route 2 in Randolph, N.H., and collided with a group of motorcyclists.

Officials at the Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles have conceded that Zhukovskyy’s commercial driver’s license should have been terminated before the June 21 crash because he had been charged with drunk driving in Connecticut in May.

However, the agency failed to act on a notification of the charge from the state of Connecticut, along with tens of thousands of other notifications about lawbreaking drivers from other states, many of which piled up in boxes in the registry’s storage rooms.

Zhukovskyy has been jailed since the crash, and is scheduled to appear in court in Lancaster, N.H., via video conference on Nov. 5.

Coos County Attorney John McCormick, who is prosecuting Zhukovskyy along with New Hampshire Attorney General Gordon J. MacDonald, declined to comment on the indictment.

Zhukovskyy’s troubled driving record began at age 16, when, according to court records, police in West Springfield found him and another man in a car that had crashed into heavy brush. Zhukovskyy was charged with driving without a license, speeding, and negligent operation of a motor vehicle.

He was arrested in June 2013 for drunken driving in Westfield, records say. He was sentenced in that case to a year of probation, and his license was suspended for 210 days, the Westfield News reported. There were no fatalities in that case.

Super99Z

NES Member
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
However, the agency failed to act on a notification of the charge from the state of Connecticut, along with tens of thousands of other notifications about lawbreaking drivers from other states, many of which piled up in boxes in the registry’s storage rooms.
[rofl][rofl][laugh2][laugh2] Got to love the Massachusetts State government and all its employees.

Radtekk

NES Member
Rating - 100%
108   0   0
Apropos of nothing, but an indication of how incompetent the Mass RMV folks are... I moved to MA from Arizona 10-11 years ago. Turned in my AZ license and got my MA one. For years, EVERY time I bought a gun I got "Hold for further review" even after completing the paperwork for a UPIN. the holds were generally 15 seconds or so, except Friday afternoons and weekends when I got "held" until Monday or Tuesday, so I stopped buying guns those times.

Now, here I am in Tennessee at Motor Vehicles, which is actually part of our (state) DHS. Apparently I have two "indicators", meaning driver's licenses. Meaning MA never told AZ I got a DL in MA. So there are two records of my status in two states. Took the Tennessee clerk 20 minutes and two calls to MA to get it fixed, while I waited. Over the next week I went to Bud's twice to buy/pickup guns, ZERO issues.

Fvck you MA!

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Interesting.... so you're suggesting that somehow your DL f***ed up NICS? I find this intriguing because I had always been of the understanding that NICS doesn't "know" everything only that it knows people it thinks are "bad". And last I knew, even then having two DLs, while possibly not legal, doesn't make someone a prohibited person. Is TN a POC state? POC states might have their own requirements beyond fed template....

-Mike

Radtekk

NES Member
Rating - 100%
108   0   0
Mike,
Dunno why it happened, and I definitely get "correlation does not mean causation" but over 8 years in MA I got some sort of hold/delay EVERY SINGLE TIME I did an ffl transfer, even after the UPIN. Never had a problem with an efa10. Dunno which JBT looks at what records or when, just know my personal experience. Maybe somebody can get hold of @atilla...

Anyway, I don't want to derail the thread, which is WAY more important than my personal experience. Just thought yet another example of MA systemic incompetence would be interesting.

Oh, what's a POC state?

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Mike,
Dunno why it happened, and I definitely get "correlation does not mean causation" but over 8 years in MA I got some sort of hold/delay EVERY SINGLE TIME I did an ffl transfer, even after the UPIN. Never had a problem with an efa10. Dunno which JBT looks at what records or when, just know my personal experience. Maybe somebody can get hold of @atilla...

Anyway, I don't want to derail the thread, which is WAY more important than my personal experience. Just thought yet another example of MA systemic incompetence would be interesting.

Oh, what's a POC state?
Point Of Contact = states that run their own NICS check center... just looked at this map, TN is a full POC state which means they run their own fed BG
checks for FFLs.. NICS Participation Map | Federal Bureau of Investigation

The green states (even MA!) all FFLs only use the FBI NICS line/systems for the checks. (obvs MA has LTC bullshit too but that is completely separate system used by the
dealer).

The reason I bring this up is because under normal circumstances I've never heard of a NICS check having anything to do with drivers licenses, and I suspect that in TN there might be some "state level adventurism/f***ery" where they do stuff above and beyond whatever the federal template is. In most cases this isn't a problem but sometimes it results in stupid shit happening. Actually in your particular case it might (of course I'm just making a wild assed guess here) have actually helped you- because it's possible TN NICS POC examiners all have higher level access, and if some "flag" comes up, it may get resolved quicker rather than have to be punted into another examiner's "queue" like it would with the FBI. Of course most of this is a guess, but I am betting the POC states don't have money to waste on several different tiers of examiners. (in some cases its pretty obvious some of them don't have enough money to properly staff their POC to begin with, like NH's handgun POC, that has like... 3? 4? people that do all the handgun checks in the entire state.... )

-Mike

Top Bottom