1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

7 killed , 3 hurt in motorcycle-truck accident in Randolph NH

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by calsdad, Jun 21, 2019.

1. 10thSFFD

10thSFFD NES Member

pic.jpg

2. jpk

jpk

Decreasing driver skills is a real problem and set to get worse as more and more tech is built into cars that suggests to drivers that they dont need to focus on control of the vehicle and surroundings

3. wilson911

wilson911

Should we rename this thread the "I dont know a single fact for sure, but let's speculate wildly and assign blame"?

jpk, jpm, kalash and 10 others like this.
  4. calsdad

calsdad NES Member

I find it hard to believe that an ENTIRE column of motorcycles was on the wrong side of the road. And the truck that crashed into them went off the road and was burning on................ the wrong side of the road.

Make of that what you will.

I know what I make of it.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
  5. noxin

noxin

Pure speculation :
    A common tactic when riding in a group is to use one of the bikes as a block when crossing oncoming traffic, like taking a left into some place, like say a hotel or a b&b (like the one they were staying at just up the road).
    Reading the article, the truck was coming the opposite direction.
    If they were blocking, and the truck didn't see them, he could have caught a good number of them during the initial hit and a few others as bikes were sliding around.
    Still, seven seems like a lot unless they were riding with passengers.
    Re reading the article, I see six motorcycles mentioned which lends itself to passengers.

I didn't know about the trailer before this thread, so that brings in the additional weight, speed, and inability to stop that someone else mentioned.

6. Zappa

Zappa Road Warrior NES Member

No sooner do I get through reading the updates in this thread, when I look at the pager and find multiple motorcycle accidents, all within the last two hours. One in Plymouth NH, one on I-293 in Manchester, and one in Boston involving two BPD M/C units.

7. The5thDentist

The5thDentist NES Life Member NES Member

They probably weren't on the wrong side of the road, but both parties were likely hugging the middle. Not saying that's what happened, but I see it every day.

People hug or ride on the dividing lines these days. And before someone chimes in and assumes texting, no. It's all types. Old, young, male, female, bikes, cars, pick-ups, and even big rigs of all kinds. And most are not on a phone.

I see it every day, and that's just driving back and forth from Methuen to Dracut.

It's ridiculous just how bad and careless people are today.

And cops do nothing. Yes, they go after the low hanging fruit of speeders, but there are so many far more dangerous things idiots are doing today with their vehicles and cops do nothing. They could be issuing reckless driving citations, but no.

8. The5thDentist

The5thDentist NES Life Member NES Member

Condolences to anyone who may know the deceased. Tragedy all around.

ISOTOX likes this.
  9. appraiser

appraiser NES Member

I saw that video via a friend, the railings did cause major damage.

I won't go thru that tunnel on 2 wheels, I get off and do surface roads.

A MSP Motorcycle Officer from Wakefield was one of the first victims of that railing design. A survivable accident if not for the railings.

10. mannydog

mannydog NES Member

Terrible, terrible thing. Rest in peace, all.

I'm riding to Texas in two weeks, then on to Montana, rode cross country last May. Distracted drivers are my worst fear. I really don't like riding in groups although this could have just as easily happened with a single bike, in a group I feel as though you are surrendering some control, but that's just me.

Sincere condolences to their families and friends.

Greg, ISOTOX and timbo like this.
  11. Asaltweapon

Asaltweapon NES Member

RIP riders. A very sad day for sure.

ISOTOX likes this.
  12. TC McQuade

TC McQuade NES Member

The truck and trailer

[​IMG]

13. 10thSFFD

10thSFFD NES Member

Is it under 48 feet from bumper to bumper?

14. Coda

Coda NES Member

What an awful situation. Lots of speculation here but none of it changes the outcome. Like jason19711971 my bikes do not have a motor. But riding a bicycle along the side of the road unquestionably has become the most dangerous thing I do. It has gotten really bad in recent years probably due to distracted driving. I have had some really close shaves and consequently just don’t ride as much as I use to. I try to use the local bike path on weekdays because weekends are so crowded, but the bike path is not exactly safe either.

It has gotten to the point that when I am out on a bike ride I never call my wife on my cell phone. As soon as she sees the caller ID she freaks out and figures I have had an accident.

Deepest sympathy to all involved in this awful tragedy.

The5thDentist, ISOTOX and 10thSFFD like this.
  15. Mountain

Mountain NES Member

You realize that would apply to 99.9% of the threads on this forum?

16. pupchow

pupchow NES Member

Is an NTSB investigation typical for a collision like this incident?

17. zboys

zboys NES Member

And you sir win the biggest idiot remark of the day award.

It is a sad day for sure for many, RIP

KVX, ISOTOX and wilson911 like this.
  18. lowbuckbob

lowbuckbob NES Member

Another view:

NH crash.jpg

19. SERE

SERE NES Life Member NES Member

20. n1oty

n1oty NES Member

And the 4PM briefing certainly indicated that they are closely examining the driver of the truck. They identified him, the firm he drives for and specifically asked the public for any information or videos of the truck driver prior to the crash. Although they are not coming right out and stating he is at fault, the hints are absolutely thunderous.

21. wilson911

wilson911

I'm a little surprised at this thread. Its been an hour since the drivers name was released and nobody has questioned his citizenship status yet?!?

22. appraiser

appraiser NES Member

Jarheads MC ... South Shore chapter

23. Broccoli Iglesias

Broccoli Iglesias NES Member

All the crashed bikes are on the correct side of the road.

Unless the truck had a mechanical issue that caused it to lose control, it is 100% the drivers fault.

But, in todays world, an ambulance chaser can probably sue the truck manufacturer, the cellphone company, the service provider, the motorcycle companies for not providing more protection, the helmet manufacturers, DOT (because DOT standards for helmets are pure sh*t) ...

drgrant and Greg like this.
  24. SpaceCritter

SpaceCritter NES Member

You are, I presume, speaking of:

Regardless, obligatory Ma**h*** comments hereby incorporated by reference.

fencer, Fixxah and KBCraig like this.
  25. buckfarack

buckfarack NES Member

I also ride on the roads, non motor. I put a flashing white beacon on the front and the red one on the back, I wear day glow Jerseys. I tell people that if I get whacked it’ll be from the front, not behind. From behind you’ll get pushed in the direction you’re traveling in, most likely onto the shoulder and not into incoming traffic. The close calls are people pulling out from a side street or making a left across traffic, it’s worse when you’re going downhill. Sometimes you can see them freeze at the last moment when they see you.

I have been in the car insurance biz for 25 years, the number of accidents has definitely increased. When a client calls and says little Suzy got into an accident I don’t even have to ask, it’s an IV RE OV (Insured Vehicle Rear Ended Other Vehicle), usually when they’re stopped at a signal.

Had a dad call about His kid who made a left at a traffic light, motorcycle coming the opposite direction skidded out to avoid, guy got taken away in an ambulance, survived. Kid got a ticket for distracted driving, there was a cop at the intersection. Father swore up and down kid was using GPS on his phone. I tried to be as polite as I could but this jackass wouldn’t stop, hired a lawyer to represent kid to fight ticket. Finally after the umpteenth phone conversation with the guy, after the kid got surcharged and he couldn’t understand why, I told him that if his kid needs GPS on the main road less than a mile from the house perhaps he shouldn’t be driving. I don’t need clients like that.

AHM, Coda, BBQ.Uncle and 3 others like this.
  26. calsdad

calsdad NES Member

One of the stories I read said it was a 2500 series Dodge Ram, and the trailer appears to be one of these:

Two Car-Truck Gooseneck Trailer - by Kaufman Trailers
    G.V.W.R. 14,000 lb.
    Deck Length 35 ft. 6 in. (24 ft. flat + 11 ft. 6 in. dove)

I can't quite make it out in the pic, but it looks like the truck has MA plates and they may be commercial plates.

I know the laws vary some state to state, but I thought that towing an equipment trailer over 10k - means you need a commercial license. Typically trailers like that are used for hauling cars - for business purposes, and that puts you into commercial license territory as well.

27. Wickedcoolname

Wickedcoolname NES Member

I never got the whole group ride thing. I've been riding since the 70s and I've logged a few miles and I've never had the urge to hook up with a bunch of other bikes. I like to set my own pace and keep my own distance from other traffic.
    Say it wasn't motorcycles. I drive a Chevy Silverado. Imagine if me and 30 other Silverado drivers got together and drove around in a clump on a Saturday morning? It would seem pretty weird.

jpm, KBCraig, NickLeduc and 2 others like this.
  28. Wickedcoolname

Wickedcoolname NES Member

Using your phone while driving should be treated like drunk driving. Maybe even more severely. At least the drunks are trying to look at the road.

Coda and buckfarack like this.
  29. zboys

zboys NES Member

Jeep drivers do it all the time

KBCraig likes this.
  30. SpaceCritter

SpaceCritter NES Member

Funny. My last two accidents - years apart - were women rear-ending me while stopped: one at a light, the second at a stop sign. The former almost ended in a court battle: she was driving estranged hubby's ride, and there were questions as to whether she "had permission" to do so. Me: don't care - it's your insured vehicle. Take that up with your customer. Insurer didn't want to pay.