1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

7 killed , 3 hurt in motorcycle-truck accident in Randolph NH

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by calsdad, Jun 21, 2019.

1. jpk

jpk

The mAss license suspension scandal is over 1600 now

Over 1,600 Driver Licenses Suspended in Mass. Probe

Dont see anyone looking into how many of those folks were involved in accidents of any sort/severity subsequent to the conditions that SHOULD have yielded a suspension yet......

2. 10thSFFD

10thSFFD NES Member

Don't worry! To answer our questions Crying Baker is appointing an outside agency!
    dumpster.jpg

3. GM-GUY

GM-GUY NES Member

I drove by the site today, caution signs up before ‘Caution Roadside Activity Possible’. There was someone stopped each time I went by (out & back). I should have taken a picture but I couldn’t stop as I had a 20 ft trailer behind my truck,

Lots of flags, USMC flags too, some crosses / somber spot knowing what happened.

4. garandman

garandman Instructor NES Member

Any more details of what occurred?

5. KBCraig

KBCraig NES Member

Driver with a history of crashes and alcohol/drug charges crossed the line and wiped out 10 people on motorcycles, killing 7 of them.

I don't know how much more detail we need.

whalerman69 and Picton like this.
  6. KBCraig

KBCraig NES Member

I drove past on Tuesday (to a coworker's funeral in Gorham), and saw the same thing.

Single motorcycle each time, one a cruiser, the other an adventure tourer, both parked beside the road and kneeling in front of the crosses.

There are a lot of properties along the road displaying 7 flags.

7. timbo

timbo Navy Veteran NES Member

I'm heading up next weekend to Lancaster to my 45th HS reunion. I am making it a point to stop by the place that this all went down. If appropriate, I will take some pics and post them here.

I really wanted to make the ride they had a week or two back but I was careening around the Midwest at the time. I'm not much for multi-rider rides but I would've made an exception for this one.

8. KBCraig

KBCraig NES Member

Wow, you're old. ;)

Hit me up. I'd be honored to buy you one of their special memorial beers at the Copper Pig.

9. 10thSFFD

10thSFFD NES Member

Here are the key unanswered questions surrounding the Mass. RMV scandal - The Boston Globe
    Massachusetts authorities concede that Zhukovskyy’s commercial driving license should have been suspended before the New Hampshire crash and that the RMV either missed or ignored notifications from Connecticut.

In March 2018, the RMV rolled out a new records management system.

For reasons that have not been explained, the agency began ignoring paper mail notifications about Massachusetts drivers cited or convicted for breaking driving laws in other states. A RMV review of the missed notification alerts led to the suspension of 1,607 Massachusetts drivers.

But RMV officials have yet to say which states sent the alerts, identify the drivers or say if they were involved in serious incidents after the alerts were sent. Meanwhile, officials have acknowledged that the number of suspensions could grow as the investigation continues.

About the unsent mail

As part of the review, state authorities admitted that the RMV does not consistently mail notifications to other states when drivers from those states break laws in Massachusetts. Instead, the agency has relied on out-of-state motor vehicle authorities to check a national driving record database to find records of Massachusetts driving violations. The practice has been in place for years, but state officials have not explained the reasons behind it.

Who is responsible?

Baker, whose administration hasn’t cast blame on anyone for the scandal, said he has “full confidence” that longtime transportation secretary Stephanie Pollack will fix the issues.

Thomas Bowes, the leader of the Merit Rating Board, the agency sub-division tasked with processing paper alerts from other states, was 3,200 miles away in Europe when the scandal broke. Bowes has declined to answer questions about his role. He remains in his $114,455-a-year post.

In the weeks since the scandal broke, Baker commissioned a forensic audit of the agency’s procedures for dealing with out-of-state notifications. For now, the RMV plans to mail alerts to other states whenever out-of-state drivers are suspended in Massachusetts. A plan for a new notification process is under development.

Meanwhile, the state Legislature Joint Committee on Transportation has scheduled an oversight hearing for Monday and requested that Deveney, Bowes, and several other key figures to testify.

wilson911 likes this.
  10. wilson911

wilson911

11. 10thSFFD

10thSFFD NES Member

Patience, my friend!

wilson911 likes this.
  12. 10thSFFD

10thSFFD NES Member

The most popular governor should resign.

AHM and Super99Z like this.
  13. silversquirrel

silversquirrel NES Member

Assuming hypothetical revocation of the dirtbags license, what exactly is it that would have prevented him from driving, and being on the road that day, just the same?
    I must have missed the part where the kid followed rules, and obeyed laws.

14. GM-GUY

GM-GUY NES Member

I don’t think his employer would have given him the load.

15. 10thSFFD

10thSFFD NES Member

You did not pay attention. His employer is just like him.

16. GM-GUY

GM-GUY NES Member

Is the employer charged? As far as I’ve seen it’s just the driver. Was the employer a ‘zero tolerance’ place, apparently not but the driver had a valid license.

The company is still operating, but does have a dodgy record. I didn’t see any mention of having unlicensed employees though.

17. Mr.E

Mr.E

FTFY

Radtekk, 10thSFFD and AntiHippie like this.
  18. 10thSFFD

10thSFFD NES Member

Just give it another few months when Crying Baker will finally open another door full of evidence which was unfortunately overlooked. ;)

19. AHM

AHM NES Member

"Boston Globe" - you so funny.

20. 10thSFFD

10thSFFD NES Member

There we go! Finally!
    Healey launches investigation into trucking company tied to N.H. motorcycle crash that killed seven - The Boston Globe

Over the past 24 months, 48 inspections were conducted on drivers working for Westfield Transport Inc., records on the agency’s website show.

Ten of those inspections, or 20.8 percent, resulted in at least one “out-of-service” order, about four times the national average of about 5 percent, records show. An out-of-service order is issued as a result of serious violations.

Federal records for Westfield Transport listed no reported crashes that resulted in fatalities, injuries, or tows over the past two years.

Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles officials revealed that Zhukovskyy should have been stripped of his commercial driver’s license weeks before the crash after he was arrested in East Windsor, Conn., on a charge of driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

Registry officials have acknowledged that they had received notifications from Connecticut’s registry about Zhukovskyy’s arrest but had failed to promptly review and suspend his commercial license. After the lapse was made public in late June, Registrar Erin Deveney resigned.
    -------------------
    And also this:
    RMV hearing recesses after Baker admin no-shows
    BOSTON — Lawmakers abruptly recessed an oversight hearing on failures at the Registry of Motor Vehicles after the Baker administration witnesses the committee hoped to hear from did not show up.

Lawmakers last week called transportation officials to Beacon Hill to discuss record-keeping failures, but the few who were in Gardner Auditorium Monday morning said they planned to offer limited testimony because of an ongoing independent audit.

Several of the witnesses the Joint Committee on Transportation sought, including current RMV employees who work in departments related to an enormous backlog of out-of-state violation notices, did not attend the hearing, a move that Sen. Joseph Boncore, the committee's Senate chair, called "frustrating."

Transportation Secretary Stephanie Pollack also said that witnesses who did attend were limited in testimony they could offer because national firm Grant Thornton is conducting a forensic audit about the scandal at the RMV.

"I don't think it's enough," said Rep. William Straus, the committee's House chair. "I think the kind of good faith cooperation that was expressed in a heartfelt way by Gov. Baker a few weeks ago set a minimum level of assistance that the committee and the legislature could expect."

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
  21. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152 NES Member

I was coming back from Santas Village yesterday on Rt2 when suddenly there was about a thousand US flags on the side of the road. As I was realizing where I was I saw the seven crosses. Then seeing just how close they were to the safety of their hotel really was horrible.

10thSFFD, KBCraig, AHM and 1 other person like this.
  22. 10thSFFD

10thSFFD NES Member

23. KBCraig

KBCraig NES Member

Why he did doesn't really matter. That he did, matters.

We went to Gorham on Tuesday for lunch and a Walmart shopping trip. While I had already wanted to stop at the memorial site, I didn't bring it up, because my lovely bride is pretty sensitive about things like this.

To my surprise, she asked if we could stop, so of course I did.

We all got out, and we all suffered from allergies. The colors left on the site from as far away as Tucson and Nevada were touching, but the single stake with dew rags tied on it was probably the clincher.

That, and the still-visible skid marks, gouges in the pavement, blue paint marking positions from the accident investigation... but worst of all was the debris left behind. Burned and charred bits of metal and plastic scattered all over the roadside.

The dude from Quebec who pulled over just to ask what it was all about put my "be a man and don't cry to a stranger" to the test. In his very broken English, he said that he's been riding "since fifteen years", but as he's been older he knows how dangerous it is.

clampett, timbo and 10thSFFD like this.
  24. KBCraig

KBCraig NES Member

"Seven flags" are all over the place up here.

Ya-ya's in Twin Mountain has seven full sized flags up. I popped in today for a soda while doing some family business. They have a Jarheads MC donation jar on the counter, and I dumped all my money in.

timbo likes this.
  25. KBCraig

KBCraig NES Member

The same day that @timbo was up to visit, another friend whose property borders the Jefferson/Randolph line shared a post. NHDOT had removed all the flags and vests and patches and other personal property, leaving just the 7 crosses. They asked that people stop leaving items at the crash site, because it would be removed.

10thSFFD and timbo like this.
  26. timbo

timbo Navy Veteran NES Member

It was great to see you last Saturday Kevin. I made it to the crash site and was definitely surprised that for all intents and purposes, the only thing there were the crosses. Even with just those, it's still a very solemn place. When I got there, I was the only one there. By the time I left 15 minutes later, there were about a dozen people there. We were all wearing sunglasses, probably a good thing as all of us probably had tears in our eyes. I know I did.

A friend of mine lives about a 1/4 mile away on the Randolph side. He says there is almost always someone there, night or day.

crosses.jpg

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
    KBCraig and 10thSFFD like this.
  27. zboys

zboys NES Member

28. Picton

Picton NES Member

29. 10thSFFD

10thSFFD NES Member

Pay attention!:

Truck driver was on drugs, reaching for drink at time of fatal New Hampshire crash, report says - The Boston Globe

The report also includes Zhukovskyy’s admission that he was reaching for a beverage at the time of the crash, as well as a detailed description of the destruction the collision inflicted on the pickup truck and trailer that Zhukovskyy was operating for Westfield Transport Inc. of West Springfield. An inspector found 24 violations of federal motor carrier safety regulations involving Zhukovskyy and the vehicle, according to the report. At least 14 of the violations — such as flat tires, faulty brakes, and inoperable lights — resulted from the collision.

A spokesman for the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration declined to comment, saying the agency doesn’t discuss crashes publicly. The Globe obtained the inspection report through a public records request.

Zhukovskyy, who has a lengthy record of traffic and impairment charges, walked away from the crash uninjured. He was arrested three days later and has pleaded not guilty to seven counts of negligent homicide.

Reached Wednesday evening, Dartanyan Gasanov, who owned Westfield Transport, said he wasn’t aware that Zhukovskyy had been charged in Connecticut with operating under the influence in May because it wasn’t listed on his driving history.

Gasanov said he knew Zhukovskyy had been arrested for drunken driving in 2013 but let him work for Westfield Transport anyway.

“We are cooperating,” Gasanov said.

He said he hasn’t seen the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration inspection report from the crash.

“It’s really hard to talk about this,” he said. “It’s very hard to sleep at night.”

Gasanov then hung up, ending the interview.

Last week, state Attorney General Maura Healey announced she was investigating Westfield Transport. The business disbanded on July 3 and faces a civil lawsuit from one of the survivors of the crash, state records show.

Gasanov also owns East Transport LLC, a trucking business in West Springfield with one truck and one driver, federal records show. The company appears to still be in business.

Following the fatal New Hampshire crash, a federal inspector spent more than two hours examining the wreckage, the report said.

A fire erupted after the collision, damaging the brakes on the pickup truck and trailer, burning battery cables and melting headlamps, turn signals, and tires, the report said.

The suspension systems on the truck and trailer were also affected.

On June 26, five more inspections were conducted on commercial vehicles operated by Westfield Transport, federal records show.

Three inspections occurred on Western Avenue in West Springfield, and two others were conducted in Springfield. An inspector cited one driver for not having a medical certificate. During a different inspection, a vehicle with brake problems was ordered to be taken out of service, records show.

------------------
    I have told you from the beginning that there is more to this than one crazy Ukrainian driver. Now we are still on the beginning. Unfortunately, it will be you and me paying with our taxes while officials responsible for this mess will be resigning with their pensions untouched. What a state! What a governor!

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
  30. KBCraig

KBCraig NES Member

Don't read too much into the report. He tested positive for drugs, but that doesn't mean he was under the influence of them (but it does mean he should be denied a CDL).

Also, nothing in the report says he was reaching for an alcoholic beverage... it could have been a bottle of water.

Still, he clearly caused the accident through negligence, as I've said all along.

wilson911 and timbo like this.