7 killed , 3 hurt in motorcycle-truck accident in Randolph NH

AHM

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drove past the site yesterday and today.

The Uki must have been high as a freakin' kite to cause this accident.
A number of NH state roads have always struck me as a pleasure to drive -
seem very well engineered (straight as an arrow, wide, not a lot of curb cuts, ...).

That stretch is one of them, sigh.

KBCraig

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other question bandied about elsewhere has to do with formation. Some riders think they might have been riding closed up and two per lane, as MC’s often do on highways. That gives you fewer options to bail out.
They were on the road less than a quarter mile before being hit.

No matter how they would have been spaced at highway speed, they had literally just pulled out of the parking lot together, and were bunched up because of that.

The5thDentist

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
We have another proof of our stupidity. While borders are wide open and nomads and criminals are pouring in we keep asking if we are guilty or if one of us forgot to explain to poor migrants that we do not drive in the middle of the road....! What the f is wrong with us?

Not just migrants.

Before I got to the site, some dick driving a dually Dodge pulling a horse trailer had the whole thing over the lines and in my eastbound lane. People just suck. "Me first!" No courtesy anymore.

KBCraig

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have another proof of our stupidity. While borders are wide open and nomads and criminals are pouring in we keep asking if we are guilty or if one of us forgot to explain to poor migrants that we do not drive in the middle of the road....! What the f is wrong with us?
I'm pretty sure Ukraine drives on the right side of the road too.

You never can tell about those people who escaped communist hellholes, though.

FormerlyIndifferent

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A number of NH state roads have always struck me as a pleasure to drive -
seem very well engineered (straight as an arrow, wide, not a lot of curb cuts, ...).

That stretch is one of them, sigh.
Although I don't think the road where the accident happened is one of them (it or portions of it might be; I'd have to look into it), many of the well-engineered roads you mention are so, because they were built as well-engineered railroads in the 1800s. Portions of Routes 125, 28, 3, 101, 11, 302, 112, and many others throughout the state, were converted to roads/highways as the railroads (or their branch lines) one-by-one curtailed service or shit the bed altogether. Giveaways are: long, tangent (straight) sections on wide rights of way; broad, sweeping curves; and long, gradual grades.

It's been years since I've driven the road where this accident happened, so I don't remember its features off hand.

RIP to the bikers. Damn. [angry]

Reactions: AHM

Horrible

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
absolutely. I went Keto last may. pre-diabetic. Lost 60lbs in like 3 months and my fasting blood sugar went from high 120s to like 85, cholesterol down, and triglycerides down. I did it by eating tons of steak, bacon, eggs, cheese, butter and good oils.
Ditto here. My sugars were 127 and went to 97 when I last measured in mid May. I’ve dropped 15 more pounds since then so can only imagine what sugars and cholesterol is now

10thSFFD

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time to ride again! [thumbsup]

Memorial ride for victims of N.H. crash scheduled for Saturday - The Boston Globe

The event, called “Ride For the Fallen 7,” is open to anyone who wants to join, said Brian DeSimone, one of the event’s organizers. The plan calls for the ride to start in Laconia at noon Saturday, with the group proceeding to the Randolph site of the crash.

State Police also recommended that riders stay informed on the latest route, weather, and safety information throughout the ride by following @NH_HSEM on Twitter and @NH.HSEM on Facebook.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Driver arrested for plowing into Marine motorcycle club had suspected heroin in his home
Trucking company's record
According to data available through the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, Westfield Transport had drivers placed out of service at a rate of 20.8 percent, compared to a national rate of 5.5 percent. The FMCSA's Safety Measurement System does not name drivers in its listing of company safety records.

The Safety Measurement System said that narcotics or amphetamines were found on drivers during two inspections. Details about the possession were not available on the website, and the report gives no indication that the drivers were intoxicated.

And substance use was not related to any accidents or critical safety violations, the SMS said.

Damien said the drugs violation involved marijuana possession. Even though marijuana is legal in Massachusetts, he fired the driver, he said.

He cut short the conversation when a reporter asked about additional information on the company.

According to the SMS, Westfield Transportation experienced 11 violations in the category of driver fitness from Feb. 14 to April 23. They include not having a commercial drivers license, not having a proper medical certificate, driving with a suspended license and insufficient knowledge of English.

The company's vehicle safety record was slightly better than the national average, 16.7 vs. 20.7, the SMS reported.

Last edited:

jpk

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Have the NHSP released any information yet as to whether there was any contact/collision between the truck and any of the bikes? How about between the bikes themselves?

jpk

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I presume you mean as secondary impacts? None of those would be the fault of the riders.
I think it was a direct question eh?

Has the NHSP indicated whether or not the truck actually hit ANY of the riders/bikes?

Secondarily did any of the bikes collide with one another and if they did were any of those bikes actually hit by the truck?

namedpipes

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I think it was a direct question eh?

Has the NHSP indicated whether or not the truck actually hit ANY of the riders/bikes?

Secondarily did any of the bikes collide with one another and if they did were any of those bikes actually hit by the truck?
It feels like you're looking for justification for the truck driver. There isn't any. Whatever pieces of metal connected with whatever other pieces, he clearly caused the collisions. Who hit what after he initiated the sequence of events is utterly irrelevant.

jpk

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It feels like you're looking for justification for the truck driver. There isn't any. Whatever pieces of metal connected with whatever other pieces, he clearly caused the collisions. Who hit what after he initiated the sequence of events is utterly irrelevant.
I'm looking for facts

Did the guy hit one or more of the bikes or not?

Did the bikes hit one or more of the other bikes or not?

Stop trying to convict in court of public opinion.....doing so only further perverts our badly bruised judicial system

one-eyed Jack

Manufacturer
Dealer
NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
This. Right on. Jack.

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I'm looking for facts

Did the guy hit one or more of the bikes or not?

Did the bikes hit one or more of the other bikes or not?

Stop trying to convict in court of public opinion.....doing so only further perverts our badly bruised judicial system
All the news reports indicate that the trailer being pulled by the truck driven by the guy hit some number (most? all?) of the bikes, ergo the driver of the truck is responsible whether it was the truck, trailer or another bike attempting to avoid the truck or trailer that hit the bikes.

meh

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0

jpk

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Well, this came from the NHSP:
Justi
Serious Motor Vehicle/Motorcycle Crash, Route 2, Randolph | News and Events | Division of State Police | New Hampshire Department of Safety

"The Dodge truck collided with several motorcycles."

I wouldn't bet my life on such an early report, but neither would I invest two sh-ts, let alone a paragraph, on the possibility that he didn't collide with any of them.
That was 6/21 which iirc was the day of the accident.

That would not have been the actual "report" or a product of any analysis of the scene.

The more people armchair this case and demand a pound of flesh without actual facts, the less likely all parties are to see a factual accounting of what happened let alone an impartial judicial process/outcome

jpk

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
All the news reports indicate that the trailer being pulled by the truck driven by the guy hit some number (most? all?) of the bikes, ergo the driver of the truck is responsible whether it was the truck, trailer or another bike attempting to avoid the truck or trailer that hit the bikes.
How reliable/accurate are news outlets these days?

They're not....

AHM

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neither our judicial system nor the truck drivin' addict is entitled to NES's silence.

jpk

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Neither our judicial system nor the truck drivin' addict is entitled to NES's silence.
Our judicial system has some serious issues.......namely that justice aint blind anymore.....I'll agree with you on that point

On the issue of the drive who is almost certainly a shit bag.....even shit bags deserve their day in court and an unbiased one at that.

AHM

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our judicial system has some serious issues.......namely that justice aint blind anymore.....I'll agree with you on that point

On the issue of the drive who is almost certainly a shit bag.....even shit bags deserve their day in court and an unbiased one at that.
NES isn't court, and has no obligation to follow the rules
the people have placed upon court.

If the truck driver didn't want to be tried in the court of public opinion,
maybe he should have stayed on his side of the road.

appraiser

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
The problem with high profile cases like this that are front and center in the news and social media is trying to find a jury that is not tainted by prejudicial pre-trial publicity, giving the defense a grounds for appeal if a change of venue is not granted

Picton

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
The problem with high profile cases like this that are front and center in the news and social media is trying to find a jury that is not tainted by prejudicial pre-trial publicity, giving the defense a grounds for appeal if a change of venue is not granted
True, but this case isn’t like the usual high-profile murder or rape. This is basically a traffic accident, with highly qualified reconstruction teams who’ll be able to credibly testify about what happened. And with surviving eyewitnesses, too.

I expect a plea. The jury will come into play during the civil suit. Or rather, suits. Plural.

meh

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
That was 6/21 which iirc was the day of the accident.

That would not have been the actual "report" or a product of any analysis of the scene.
Well, yeah, of course. Like I said, I wouldn't bet anything on it. OTOH, no official, in all the days since, has yet suggested that the accident wasn't a collision between the truck and the motorcycles.

The more people armchair this case and demand a pound of flesh without actual facts, the less likely all parties are to see a factual accounting of what happened let alone an impartial judicial process/outcome
If there's a mechanical explanation that mitigates the driver's responsibility, for example, the NTSB will find it, and I don't see a mechanism for polluting their investigation from here, nor do I think it will affect the state and local accident investigation and analysis that will ultimately form the basis of the prosecutions case. He should request a bench trial, anyway, assuming that is an option for him.

jpk

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
NES isn't court, and has no obligation to follow the rules
the people have placed upon court.

If the truck driver didn't want to be tried in the court of public opinion,
maybe he should have stayed on his side of the road.
Irony/kharma would be getting called to jury duty on this case after demonstrating a bias without facts

Reactions: AHM
Top Bottom