1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

7 killed , 3 hurt in motorcycle-truck accident in Randolph NH

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by calsdad, Jun 21, 2019.

1. deerdad

deerdad NES Member

I don't believe thats been made public yet but in this situation, it probably wouldn't have made a difference in the outcome. They were hit head on with a lot of extra iron at speed. Lets not be pointing the finger at that the same way an anti points at the gun as a the problem.

Greg

timbo, KBCraig, Jason Flare and 5 others like this.

2. Dip Dungles

Dip Dungles NES Member

Did you see the wreckage? Wouldn't have mattered in any sort of way if they were wearing full or half faced helmets.

3. 10thSFFD

10thSFFD NES Member

Thank you, Greg! I was about to answer something banworthy. [bow]

4. whatluck

whatluck

At about 40mph you're a wet meat balloon in a crash. Your organs rupture and bones break. This was a head on crash in a 55 zone, so a net 110mph+ impact. Let's be respectful to the dead please.

Dip Dungles, timbo, ISOTOX and 5 others like this.
  5. xtry51

xtry51

Helmets are just something you wear to help the police/emt picking up the literal pieces of you a little easier. I say this as a person who always wears a helmet on bikes/quads/etc. There is little a helmet can save you from at elevated speeds. You're soft and everything around you is not.

6. 10thSFFD

10thSFFD NES Member

We have another proof of our stupidity. While borders are wide open and nomads and criminals are pouring in we keep asking if we are guilty or if one of us forgot to explain to poor migrants that we do not drive in the middle of the road....! What the f is wrong with us?

TrashcanDan and mibro like this.
  7. Sweeney

Sweeney NES Member

The physics don't work that way. A head-on with both vehicles traveling at 55mph equates to an impact speed of 55mph for each. It's the same as hitting a wall at 55mph.

Mxracer239y, pupchow and DPR like this.
  8. xtry51

xtry51

You need to retake physics.

wiryone1, Horrible, NHKevin and 12 others like this.
  9. drgrant

drgrant Moderator NES Member

tucker impression voice: "No, its not"

mibro and Len-2A Training like this.
  10. strangenh

strangenh NES Member

Common Core physics?

11. whatluck

whatluck

What would hurt more? If I kicked you in the throat, or if I kicked you in the throat while you rode by on a skateboard?

Horrible, timbo, xtry51 and 3 others like this.
  12. Mr.E

Mr.E

not a physicist and I think you're doing it wrong by talking in mph...I believe the appropriate way would be to look at it by "energy" likely kinetic energy. A single mass colliding with a fixed object while traveling at Xmph has a lower kinetic energy on impact vs hitting a moving object since that object now brings energy to the impact as well...

timbo likes this.
  13. Picton

Picton NES Member

Yeah. It’s about energy, not velocity.

timbo likes this.
  14. whatluck

whatluck

You are absolutely right. I will further add that in my incorrect example, the net energy would be for both objects. If the truck and trailer weighs 9x as much as you and your motorcycle, you absorb 90% of the net energy, and the truck absorbs 10%. You get hit with a freight train, and the truck hits a speedbump.

mibro likes this.
  15. W.E.C

W.E.C NES Member

16. Sweeney

Sweeney NES Member

Your foot would hurt equally in either case and you might make me angry.

My comment was in response to the simple example given not considering elastic and inelastic collisions, momentum, etc. In the case of two equal mass objects colliding with equal velocity each decelerates from that velocity to 0 in the same amount of time and in the same distance... no different than hitting a wall.

For your viewing pleasure...
    View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8E5dUnLmh4

garandman likes this.
  17. mibro

mibro NES Member

This should be interesting.

18. pupchow

pupchow NES Member

yep.

19. Picton

Picton NES Member

This here?

This is your problem.

20. Sweeney

Sweeney NES Member

The statement made, "This was a head on crash in a 55 zone, so a net 110mph+ impact." , is incorrect. This is what I commented on. What's my problem?

21. Picton

Picton NES Member

Post 313.

This thread isn’t about a physics problem. It’s about horror. Let’s not sidetrack it.

KBCraig and ISOTOX like this.
  22. boatman

boatman

You said it above, equal masses. That is why the mythbusters video shows that 2 50mph collisions between 2 EQUAL masses is equal to a single 50 mph crash (not 100 mph). It is 2x the speed, but the whole system is 2x the mass.

Unfortunately, with the motorcycle and the truck (and trailer), it is not close to equal mass. So if the truck outweighs the bike by 20:1 the transference of energy is going to that proportion, if both were going 50 mph head on, the biker is only giving up (or getting depending upon how you look at it) 5% so it is like him hitting a wall at 95 mph. Like a fly hitting your windshield. You do actually slow up by an amount proportional to the energy from the fly, but it doesn't really affect your car. Not the case for the fly.

KBCraig and xtry51 like this.
  23. whatluck

whatluck

You're actually making a good point here, but the total velocity is still 55mph x 2, and shared between the two objects. m*v = m*v no matter what.

And I don't throat kick with the foot, I throat kick with the shin.

24. 67ray

67ray NES Member

Firstly I didn't comment on whether I believe it would have mattered I simply asked if they were wearing helmets.

Secondly were any of you there for the crash? You can't say if any one of either the dead or injured could have had the same or a better outcome wearing a helmet.

I was asking for facts only and note this isn't a thread to argue helmet laws. If you want that please start another thread.

25. Mr.E

Mr.E

very true, more mass is able to absorb more energy. And since energy can neither be created nor destroyed, transferring of said energy is the only outcome.

26. Bonesinium

Bonesinium NES Member

You don’t think driving on the wrong side of the road into a group of motorcycles is negligent?

mibro likes this.
  27. Woodstock

Woodstock NES Member

Regarding the earlier question of when a CDL is required, I found my copy of the MSP Guide to Commercial Vehicle Operations, and on page 14 among the frequently asked questions they state " A power unit with a GVWR of 26,000 lbs. with a trailer with a GVWR of 10,000 does not require a CDL. Explanation: The trailer not over 10,000 lbs. GVWR and power unit is not over 26,000 lbs. GVWR." In another paragraph they state that a power unit under 26,001 lbs. GVWR with Air Brakes does not require a CDL.
    It gets tricky when the trailer is above 10,000 lbs. being towed by a truck with a GVWR of 16,000 lbs. or more. That combo requires a Class A.

28. calsdad

calsdad NES Member

What about a trailer over 10k - being towed by a truck with a GVWR that would put it under the 26K total?

A lot of the 2500 and 3500 series trucks are fully capable of towing say a 14-15K trailer (the latest generation is rated for 23,000+ in some configurations) , but their GVWR can range from 9500 to 13,000 pounds (again depending on config).

So the piece that would put you over the 26K limit wouldn't be the weight of the vehicle fully loaded - it would be the weight of the trailer. You have an HD pickup with a 10K GVWR - and a 15,000 pound trailer behind it - and not be over that 26k number.

That's the config that the guy who caused this accident was towing BTW. He had a Dodge Ram 2500 - with a 14K trailer. He was on commercial plates - but he was also "engaged in commerce" since he was hauling cars for business purposes.

29. garandman

garandman Instructor NES Member

There isn’t enough information to speculate if the crash was survivable with full gear.

The other question bandied about elsewhere has to do with formation. Some riders think they might have been riding closed up and two per lane, as MC’s often do on highways. That gives you fewer options to bail out.

No information has been posted one way or the other.

30. The5thDentist

The5thDentist NES Life Member NES Member

Drove past the site yesterday and today.

The Uki must have been high as a freakin' kite to cause this accident.