7 killed , 3 hurt in motorcycle-truck accident in Randolph NH

calsdad

NES Member
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Just saw this on the Channel 5 news:

7 killed, 3 hurt in crash involving motorcycles, truck in Randolph, police say

RANDOLPH, N.H. —

Seven people were killed and three others were hurt in a crash Friday evening on Route 2 in Randolph, police said.

The crash, which involved multiple motorcycles and a truck, happened just before 6:30 p.m., according to state police.

Of the three people who were hurt, one was taken by medical helicopter to Maine Medical Center and two others were transported to Androscoggin Valley Hospital, police said.

"It’s tragic. It’s tragic for those involved, tragic for the families, so we’re doing our job, we’re doing our work and our thoughts are with the people who were adversely affected by this," New Hampshire State Police Capt. Chris Vetter said.

Police said they confirmed that the truck, a 2016 Dodge 2500, was traveling west on Route 2 before it collided with several motorcycles that were traveling east on Route 2.

The truck was on fire when firefighters arrived on scene, officials said.

Miranda Thompson, of Manchester, said she was just a few cars behind the vehicles when the crash happened.

"You could see motorcycles dumped all over the road, and you could see people on the phone frantically calling, people pacing back and forth, and just, they were lost," witness Miranda Thompson, of Manchester, said. "Everybody got out of their car and helped, got blankets and first-aid kits. Everyone went into action and just helped."

timbo

Navy Veteran
NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Two people killed on 106 in Canterbury, NH as well today...so many accidents have the statement that one of the vehicles involved “drifted into the oncoming lane”. I’m not going to speculate on this accident in Randolph but it sure sounds like the same situation.

People are just shitty drivers anymore. I was heading to a friend’s house for dinner tonight on my motorcycle in downtown Concord and two van loads of college age girls pulled a U turn right in front of me....total idiots. Totally oblivious to anyone other than themselves.

I’m seriously considering getting one of these: Denali Soundbomb Compact Air Horn - RevZilla

Last edited:

Reptile

NES Member
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Horrific.

Prayers for all involved.

I worry about motorcyclists all the time.

This will affect the dead and wounded along with the people on the scene for a long time.

I was up in Laconia for a couple days during bike week.

I may have crossed paths with some of the victims.

If the truck driver drifted into the bikers, I hope he goes to jail for a long time.

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
It's been a bad year for motorcycle fatalities.
I got pager alerts on both of the above incidents, but the one in Randolph turned out to be much worse than what the message text specified.

There was a double fatal in the O'Neil Tunnel two weeks ago (two bikes), it was on the news, but what you saw and heard from the local MSM outlets was a sanitized account.
Granted they were morons doing 80+, and maybe drunk too, but it was a nasty, gruesome scene, with dismemberment.
Someone just happened to get cell phone video of the scene within moments of the crash, and forwarded it to people in my industry, and it finally made its way to me a few days ago. I'll post the video link below if anyone wants to see it. I'm sure MassDot has some great footage of it too, but they won't release the nasty stuff without a FOIA request.

Those railings inside the tunnel have claimed MANY lives since the Big Dig was finished, one on the very first week it opened. Mostly bikes, but people in cars have also been killed by them in rollover accidents.
If any ambulance chaser lawyer want a chance to score big, seek out the families of the deceased accident victims and file a lawsuit against the state, DOT, contractors, architects, inspectors, everyone down the line. Those railings don't need to be there. They are in place to keep someone on the elevated walkway from falling into traffic, but realistically, they are only useful to some DOT employee once in a blue moon. Also the railings are only in front of the doors, which basically go nowhere, or open to the opposite traveling lanes. If OSHA or some other agency mandates the railings be there, then that may be part of the problem too.
The quick fix would be to remove all the railings, but if some law specifies they must be in place, replace them with some kind of breakaway type, no stronger than needed for it's intent, which is to stop a 250 lb person at walking speed. (250 figure estimated knowing that the specific persons would be state employees) It doesn't need to stop anyone traveling over 10 mph.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipPjjVs2BWvPvDf5JpPyIclCLz1b7P4Xgs8RJYbuYk0Cv239yBIi0B0evt0Cmr2l5A/photo/AF1QipM9nevmoeruaZC6nHx28dXQAHTv3oHCJykgJE1y?key=d2xXXzlqWU82cHp2d2pSOHc4dVVQS1VPWmZfUXB3

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My FIL lost a leg and a buddy in a similar accident in Kentucky many years ago. Woman in the truck that crossed the centerline and took out all the bikers was jacked up on booze and pills.

Sympathy to the many families that are grieving together today.

richc

NES Member
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
According to stats you are 35x more likely to be killed on a motorcycle than vs automobile per mile driven.

You can be the safest damn motorcycle driver in existence and you lose in any accident.

I'll stick to my convertible...

And, yes, I get the excitement and freedom a motorcycle provides. Totally get it. But life and limb are more important to m.

jason19711971

NES Member
Rating - 100%
92   0   0
My bike doesn't have a motor, but I'm always looking at the drivers when I'm riding and the majority of the people are looking down which I guess are texting and I noticed women like to look at their phones when talking. Some of these phones look like tablets they cover half their face.

10thSFFD

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tewksbury father, 59, killed in crash
"It's the day before Father's Day and the individual who lost his life has children," Sheehan said. "It's absolutely a terrible tragedy and our thoughts, our prayers and our hearts are with this family."

The crash took place when traffic stopped to let a 21-year-old Wilmington man, driving a 2009 Chevy Impala, out of the McDonald's parking lot at 1928 Main St., Sheehan said.

The 21-year-old was attempting to cross both northbound and southbound lanes to access the parking lot at 1899 Main St. The driver failed to see the Tewksbury man operating his 2003 Harley Davidson south on Main Street, "and the motorcycle struck him broadside," Sheehan said.

The Wilmington man was uninjured in the crash, according to Sheehan.

Last edited:

10thSFFD

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Tinkermatic

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
My wife is from VT and has her motorcycle endorsement. She won't ride down here in MA because of the traffic. I got my license down here so all I know is the traffic but for the most part, it's all going in the same direction as you. As much as I like two lane roads, the idea of head on traffic coming at me without a physical barrier is terrifying. A 40mph head on collision on a bike is like 80mph, lord knows a bike isn't going to abosrb an impact like a car. Those tight twisty roads are fun and beautiful but far more deadly than a divided highway.

mwalsh9152

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
What a horrible tragedy. I've worked enough fatal bike accidents in my day. As a result, I could never feel comfortable on my bike when I bought it. Some things just cant be unseen.

It's been a bad year for motorcycle fatalities.
I got pager alerts on both of the above incidents, but the one in Randolph turned out to be much worse than what the message text specified.

There was a double fatal in the O'Neil Tunnel two weeks ago (two bikes), it was on the news, but what you saw and heard from the local MSM outlets was a sanitized account.
Granted they were morons doing 80+, and maybe drunk too, but it was a nasty, gruesome scene, with dismemberment.
Someone just happened to get cell phone video of the scene within moments of the crash, and forwarded it to people in my industry, and it finally made its way to me a few days ago. I'll post the video link below if anyone wants to see it. I'm sure MassDot has some great footage of it too, but they won't release the nasty stuff without a FOIA request.

Those railings inside the tunnel have claimed MANY lives since the Big Dig was finished, one on the very first week it opened. Mostly bikes, but people in cars have also been killed by them in rollover accidents.
If any ambulance chaser lawyer want a chance to score big, seek out the families of the deceased accident victims and file a lawsuit against the state, DOT, contractors, architects, inspectors, everyone down the line. Those railings don't need to be there. They are in place to keep someone on the elevated walkway from falling into traffic, but realistically, they are only useful to some DOT employee once in a blue moon. Also the railings are only in front of the doors, which basically go nowhere, or open to the opposite traveling lanes. If OSHA or some other agency mandates the railings be there, then that may be part of the problem too.
The quick fix would be to remove all the railings, but if some law specifies they must be in place, replace them with some kind of breakaway type, no stronger than needed for it's intent, which is to stop a 250 lb person at walking speed. (250 figure estimated knowing that the specific persons would be state employees) It doesn't need to stop anyone traveling over 10 mph.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipPjjVs2BWvPvDf5JpPyIclCLz1b7P4Xgs8RJYbuYk0Cv239yBIi0B0evt0Cmr2l5A/photo/AF1QipM9nevmoeruaZC6nHx28dXQAHTv3oHCJykgJE1y?key=d2xXXzlqWU82cHp2d2pSOHc4dVVQS1VPWmZfUXB3
MSP Trooper Cilia met the same fate as the people in your link while on duty. He was a bitter enemy of my old boss, and is now buried next to one of my childhood friends.

I'm shocked that those railings still are in place given how dangerous they are. I'm pretty sure the Cilia family sued about then.

BigTimber

NES Member
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
We sold our bikes many years ago. As the texting became more common, I didn't care for the near death experiences that seemed to happen by the hour. Golf was safer.
This. I did the exact same thing. Road bikes for years but could see the writing on the wall, it was just a matter of time. Bought a convertible and couldn’t be happier. Awful story.

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I heard it was a USMC MC from another page I follow. Tragic.

This. I did the exact same thing. Road bikes for years but could see the writing on the wall, it was just a matter of time. Bought a convertible and couldn’t be happier. Awful story.
I love my Harley but it hasn't been on the road in a couple years. I love my wrangler too, and safety and practicality wise it is hard to justify the bike. I still like having it for around town, but as time goes on I know more and more people who have been in minor to serious accidents.

fencer

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
When I was younger, I really wanted to buy a bike because all my friends rode Harleys. But that was more than 20 years ago. The world has changed for the worse when it comes to traffic and the roads.

I remember, when I was a kid learning to drive in Mass, there were public service announcements everywhere reminding us that " A little courtesy won't kill you." Anyone remember those? Well, now it will kill you.
I have taught two of my kids to drive, and my last will get her license this year. They were always inclined to slow or stop to let other motorists into traffic. I have always told them not to, unless they were in a line of stopped cars. The problem is that if you are in a line of traffic moving at travel speed, and slow or almost stop to be a nice guy, some selfish a**h*** with their face in their phone is likely to smash into you at full speed.

This is a gut wrenching, tragic story that is becoming far to common. Prayers to the families. It makes me cringe when you hear of vets that survived combat dying in what can only be described as senseless accidents. Semper Fi Marines.

calsdad

NES Member
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Two people killed on 106 in Canterbury, NH as well today...so many accidents have the statement that one of the vehicles involved “drifted into the oncoming lane”. I’m not going to speculate on this accident in Randolph but it sure sounds like the same situation.

People are just shitty drivers anymore. I was heading to a friend’s house for dinner tonight on my motorcycle in downtown Concord and two van loads of college age girls pulled a U turn right in front of me....total idiots. Totally oblivious to anyone other than themselves.

I’m seriously considering getting one of these: Denali Soundbomb Compact Air Horn - RevZilla
Hard to tell exactly what happened from the pictures I've seen of the accident scene, but the truck that hit them was a Dodge Ram with a relatively large 5th wheel style flatbed trailer behind it. The road there looked pretty flat - so I find it hard to see how this could have been a case of him say coming down a steep slope and losing the brakes or something like that. Pure speculation on my part: but a lot of guys who drive those sorts of rigs - big diesel pickup with a long flatbed behind them - are "hotshot" truckers - and are always looking to make time. So the guy might have been just going too damn fast and talking on the cell or something.

What is Hot Shot Trucking and is it for you? - FR8Star

Top Bottom