• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

7.62x51 NATO | .308 Rifle Recommendations

So I'm looking to purchase my first rifle in the next few months in 7.62x51/308 and seeking recommendations from NES.

I really like the FNH SCAR 17s but the price tag is a little steep. The PTR-91/HK91 has so many manufacturers with early build problems that I read about I'm not sure what is what. The 91 is more in line with my price point however the SCAR isn't out of the question.

What other rifles should I consider?

Also, is there any concerns about the two different ammunition sizes? I read up on the 308/7.62 and it appears most can fire both but some not so much? Any information on that is welcomed too.

Thanks,

So I'm looking to purchase my first rifle in the next few months in 7.62x51/308 and seeking recommendations from NES.

I really like the FNH SCAR 17s but the price tag is a little steep. The PTR-91/HK91 has so many manufacturers with early build problems that I read about I'm not sure what is what. The 91 is more in line with my price point however the SCAR isn't out of the question.

Also, is there any concerns about the two different ammunition sizes? I read up on the 308/7.62 and it appears most can fire both but some not so much? Any information on that is welcomed too.

Thanks,

The Free World's Right Arm

c7ccd4db6309d11d4d32b9fde78112cc.jpg

I'd wait for the desert tech MDR at this point. Or go the buy/build AR10 route. Not usually a DPMS fan but they may be on to something with their G2 .308 AR10s.

Mike

Sent from my cell phone with a tiny keyboard and large thumbs...

I've got a FAL, early AR10, and M1a. Of the three, I prefer the M1a. Not cheap, though.

On the subject of ammunition, these rifles are meant to fire military spec ball ammo. Use that.

There are a number of specialized .308 Win hunting rounds that are pretty hot. Save those for your .308 bolt gun.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses everyone. Keep the recommendations coming.

I'll admit, I'm also looking for the cool factor. Something that will make the Zombies scared...

Does anyone have experience with PTR? anything I need to know about in terms of quality of models? There seems to be many to choose from and I don't want to buy one that I'll regret for not doing my homework.

Preban M1a mags are expensive, last I looked. One advantage of the Hk-91/PTR-91 is that mags are stupidly cheap.

They are expensive. IIRC, when I was stocking up, Prebans were in line with brand new factory mags from Springfield. They may have been even slightly cheaper. But both were in the $40-$50 range, so leaving one behind on the ground would be a bummer.

Just looked and it seems you can get new ones for about $30 now. Cheaper if you want Taiwanese knock offs.

ETA
Now I want a PTR-91

Ptr is good to go. I went the Armalite AR10 20" route. I love the gun. I do want to grab a 16" upper for a red dot. The 20" w/ scope gets heavy. Pre bans are around but run about $75 a piece. I grabbed 4 a few years ago when Armalite was selling them.

Last edited:
Ptr is good to go. I went the Armalite AR10 20" route. I love the gun. I do want to grab a 16" upper for a red dot. The 20" w/ scope gets heavy.

The AR-10 does feel like a boat anchor in my hands. It just doesn't balance well for me. Very easy to scope, however, especially compared to an M1a.

The PRS stock definitely helps with balancing things but damn! Its a 12lb gun without scope unloaded.

Might want to check out the FNAR in 7.62x51mm. It looks like a sweet rifle. I think that's what I would get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've talked with a lot of people who have PTRs. They like them other than some questions about ergonomics and cleaning. Prices on the button release models are going down as the paddle releases are shipping. I think Bud's Gun Shop had them for $660 last week. Mags and parts/accessories are dirt cheap.

I have an M1A. Preban mags aren't very expensive (~$25) as long as you stay away from OMG PREBAN!! type sellers. Parts are plentiful, but kinda expensive. The gun itself is a prewar design, so it's not as modern-battle-rifley as a G3 or FAL clone. If you do buy one I'd highly suggest getting a used one from the '80s-90s since they'll have USGI parts (instead of foreign cast parts) and will probably cost less than a new one.

I don't know anyone with a FAL but it seems like the best design in the price range. I would have gone that route if I wanted "a rifle" and not "an M14."

Last edited:
. I don't know anyone with a FAL but it seems like the best design in the price range. I would have gone that route if I wanted "a rifle" and not "an M14."

I've got a FAL. I never will understand the why people think it is such a great rifle.

It is seriously nose heavy. The trigger is crap. The sights are crap. The adjustable gas system that fans love to point to as being the best thing since sliced bread is just another failure point that you can screw up if you don't adjust it properly. In fact, if you don't adjust it properly you can completely jam up the rifle to the point where you need a gunsmith to get it running again.

A box stock M1a has a far better trigger and much better sights than a FAL.

If you think you'd use it for hunting or a go to battle rifle, build an AR10. If you want a toy, buy an M1A.

The AR10 is going to give you a platform that opens up optics and accessory options (like a light). It's also going to be the most accurate platform short of building a bolt gun.

The M1A is just a fun rifle to shoot. Accurate if you buy a quality one and are good at shooting iron sights.

I have an M1A, but frankly I rarely shoot it. Maybe 6 times a year. It's a Springfield and a tack driver.

Does anyone have experience with PTR?

I picked up a PTR over the summer and it's a fun rifle to shoot, fairly accurate and the mags are dirt cheap. Rifle is in the $1k range, so under what some of your other options are.

I also have a LAR-8, which is Rock River's AR10 variant as well as a "Loaded" Sprinfield M1A. I love shooting all of them as each has it's benefit. While I enjoy my PTR, but if accuracy is your thing I would go with one of the other options. It's not that it isn't accurate, but my M1A and LAR-8 are more accurate.

Overall cool factor hands down goes to the LAR-8! It takes Metric FAL mags which are much cheaper then mags for the AR-10.

IMG-20110717-00113-1.jpg

CMP M1 GARAND IN 308.
RM1308SPECIAL

CMP Special (.308) M1 Garand. This is a completely refurbished rifle consisting of an original M1 Garand Springfield or HRA receiver, new production Criterion barrel, new production American Walnut stock and handguards, and new web sling. Receiver and most other parts are refinished USGI, but some parts may be new manufacture. A .308 spacer block is installed to prevent the loading of a .30-06 round into the chamber.
$1,030
Allow 30-60 days for delivery.

Free Shipping

Thanks,

I've done a bunch of research on 308's, hands down, go with the SCAR. Lightweight, insanely reliable, recoils slightly more than a 5.56, super accurate, Ergonomics mimic the AR. it really is the best Battle rifle going. The only disadvantage is Mags, you have to stick with the FN Mags or buy an aftermarket lower to accept Sr-25 mags/pmags. Youtube is ur friend, tons of reviews from reputable people, everyone raves about the gun. Problem is the 17's have gone up in price, the black ones are $2500-2800 and the FDE is $3000-3400, if u can find one.
I got one on Layaway.

I've shot an HK91 and a PTR, both are heavy and recoil heavy, In my opinion, nothing great about them, i sold the HK, and i don't miss it. I hate also the no bolt hold open.

Last edited:
Once again, I present the DPMS GII...

7764e7c845f58caf52ca5c74ff47f810.jpg

2b5876a60a78e61a7db6cd6cee3b9da9.jpg

Under 10#, takes Pmags, MOA accuracy, and uses most AR15 accessories.

Oh, and it's $1200 for the Recon and $1700 for the SASS.

I've got a FAL. I never will understand the why people think it is such a great rifle.

It is seriously nose heavy. The trigger is crap. The sights are crap. The adjustable gas system that fans love to point to as being the best thing since sliced bread is just another failure point that you can screw up if you don't adjust it properly. In fact, if you don't adjust it properly you can completely jam up the rifle to the point where you need a gunsmith to get it running again.

A box stock M1a has a far better trigger and much better sights than a FAL.

I've had a FAL myself, an L1A1 (inch).

I've got to agree that what M1911 noticed, I noticed too.

So a FAL ends up #3 to me.

I do like the AR10 and the M14 clone/M1A.

I'm building couple of AR-10's, one for me, one for my son (we're both building them, of course).

I already have 2 M14 clones, one an early Fed Ord (USGI parts, not Chinese), the other an M1A Loaded. Nice guns. Only downside to them is mounting optics, but that's still doable.

I'm not a fan of the G3/HK91/PTR rifles.

Back
Top Bottom