• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

7.62x51 / 308 Semi-auto options

C308 for ~$700. Tons of cheap preban mags. Even if you put a match grade trigger on it, that still less than $900. What's not to like with that package?

C308 for ~$700. Tons of cheap preban mags. Even if you put a match grade trigger on it, that still less than $900. What's not to like with that package?

Agreed. The OP doesnt want anything high end, and doesnt want the Ar platform.
I dont have a purpose for all my purchases.

I guess the question is why buy a .308 semi-auto?

I own four .308 ARs and they just feel real, I know most look at them for hunting or long distance shooting but if I was only gonna own one itd be a 16 inch with a red dot or 2.5x optic - slap a 25 round mag in and go boom boom boom into whatever you setup to destroy downrange :).. hard to go back to the AR15s after that.

larger calibers in general are just more fun. My 8mm Mauser has become my favorite rifle. i need a second. my scar is great for the purpose of a DMR with a nice scope. i would not mind an M&P10, or an FG42

I understand the OPs stipulation but this is all kinda crazy... if I had the $$ for it no doubt Id consider a SCAR in 7.62 NATO... but then Id probably opt for a high end "AR10" instead, ie Daniel Defense or Barret...

Given you dont have the $$ the best thing for a quality maintable rifle is going to be a DPMS pattern big bore AR (not the brand just saying the pattern)... if you buy them during one of the frequent 15% sales, an Aero M5 runs about 1k before optics..

The big ARs may look similar but they are way different to shoot and like small ARs you have lots of growing room and support with different caliber and applications in uppers (ie a 16 inch .308 for blasting with a red dot and a 22 inch 6.5 creed with a scope for the long game for instance, stocks, high end barrels, adjustable gas blocks, buffer springs, triggers, etc and easily available reasonably priced magpul mags)..

It is the most practical thing - big bore ARs just make sense.
AR-10 is almost certainly the most pragmatic choice for accuracy, cost, etc.
I nearly got on the AR-10 train this month when a 308 receiver nearly fell on my lap.
A friend of mine is in the process of assembling one right now so I should get a chance to check it out.
I was just thinking it was really similar to AR-15 but two plus people here have said otherwise.

No 308 option but I do like 7.62x39 offering.
Were they the company that was supposed to be done with these a long time ago?

I think all build these days are pretty much because they can be fun to do. The idea you could build a quality rifle, even an AR15 for less money than buying a production model went away some time ago. 15 years ago when there were maybe 15 companies doing ARs, builds made a lot of sense, with the proliferation of ARs in the market builds are pretty much done for fun.

I disagree, builds (at least a partial) on an AR still makes a lot of sense even today, given that some of the shit you can create isn't commonly seen on the market, etc. Or if you buy a prefab rifle you might have to change something, etc.

Also, went away? So you mean that FET (excise tax) just gets eaten by the manufacturers? [laugh] I don't think its an issue of less money though. Although anyone can skinflint a build whether its a good idea or not is another story.

Now these days, would I bother building an upper? Maybe. More than likely I'd just get something COTS though from a good vendor with a matched BCG and be done with it. That way less bullshit I can screw up in the process, etc.

-Mike

Identical in controls and design but like comparing a 1/2 ton and 1 ton truck, they certainly are very different and more so in person.

Unless you are experienced be very careful building one via mixing and matching parts though, they are not as standardized as an AR15 - unless theres a good reason (ie not to save 10 bucks on an LPK) and you have vetted fitment, the simple thing is to stay with one manufacturer (3 of mine I just bought complete lowers and the same brand uppers later when I hit a sale right).

Last edited:
Identical in controls and design but like comparing a 1/2 ton and 1 ton truck, they certainly are very different and more so in person.

Unless you are experienced be very careful building one via mixing and matching parts though, they are not as standardized as an AR15 - unless theres a good reason and you have vetted fitment, the simple thing is to stay with one manufacturer (3 of mine I just bought complete lowers and the same brand uppers later when I hit a sale right).

Yes, an AR-10 type gun is a whole different ballgame from a regular AR. It's its own "strange dialect".

I dont have a purpose for all my purchases.

I don't either but 9 out of 10 times when I break that rule, I hate myself for it later because it's usually stupid. I see guns without a purpose as a waste of money tying up space and capital. The only dust collectors in my safe right now are guns that literally would cost me too much to sell them. (like I have a stupid f***ing SW22A, my only 22, that I would send off, except it's worth so little it's not worth selling. I have a deep seething hate for most .22 LR handguns, but that's a whole other topic for another thread. )

Then again I'm biased because I'm not really a "collector" having a bunch of shit laying around that I rarely use does nothing for me, and I went through that impulse buy phase a long time ago. I usually spend more time telling myself why something is stupid than getting excited over it.

Another fun thing I do now is "Total System Cost". EG, what will it cost you when it's "done" and not having it done and fully equipped creates a hinderance or not. Like for example, if a bolt action rifle is $600, that rifle is f***ing worthless without glass, so not counting the likely $500-$1000 worth of glass that goes on top isn't doing you any favors, etc.

-Mike

I don't either but 9 out of 10 times when I break that rule, I hate myself for it later because it's usually stupid. I see guns without a purpose as a waste of money tying up space and capital. The only dust collectors in my safe right now are guns that literally would cost me too much to sell them. (like I have a stupid f***ing SW22A, my only 22, that I would send off, except it's worth so little it's not worth selling. I have a deep seething hate for most .22 LR handguns, but that's a whole other topic for another thread. )

Then again I'm biased because I'm not really a "collector" having a bunch of shit laying around that I rarely use does nothing for me, and I went through that impulse buy phase a long time ago. I usually spend more time telling myself why something is stupid than getting excited over it.

Another fun thing I do now is "Total System Cost". EG, what will it cost you when it's "done" and not having it done and fully equipped creates a hinderance or not. Like for example, if a bolt action rifle is $600, that rifle is f***ing worthless without glass, so not counting the likely $500-$1000 worth of glass that goes on top isn't doing you any favors, etc.

-Mike

Well I honestly can't say I've ever bought something I actually regretted purchasing. I've never gone into a gun shop and walked out with an impulse purchase, and been like, " I'm an idiot, what have I done?" Most of my purchases are impulsive but they do make sense, to me anyway. Living in this state, I buy shit I think may be taken away from me when Maura decides I'm not capable of owning. If I lived in NH or some other free state there is no way I'd have all the Armament I've acquired, its sickening and its Maura's fault.. For ex. I bought a Tavor recently, I liked them, they are popular and they are great rifles, but I never planned on buying one. But in this state, I feel I better get one.
I to have a hate for ANYTHING .22, I will never ever buy one. I cant buy into them being fun and cheap to shoot, just not for me.
I definitely dont shoot all the guns in my safe, but there is only one, I've considered selling. And again, most of it Is because of restrictions or incase of future restrictions.

Honorable mention is the Desert Tech MDR. Looks tempting but they're a tiny company, no military service, and it was rushed to market. More recent reviews with the improved gas system have been positive but I would never get one.

Was never rushed to market, it was pushed back year after year after year after year. It is a stupid concept that leaves minimal room for error with their dumb ass ejection system.

I would wait for the Bren 2/806. Second choice would be G3 clone, Zenith is coming to market with new G3 clones this year

Don't hold your breath. They have been delaying for half a decade now and still haven't had a rifle to show for it. They are basically unresponsive to preorders as well while telling people soon™. I have a target from them and it's great, and I was very hopeful for their rifles. I instead am on the wait list for Rick at SMG guns. Thought about getting the Cetme build kit from them and decided to just get an HK flat set instead after seeing some of the negative responses about HMG with their CS in relations to the build kits.

Don't hold your breath. They have been delaying for half a decade now and still haven't had a rifle to show for it. They are basically unresponsive to preorders as well while telling people soon™. I have a target from them and it's great, and I was very hopeful for their rifles. I instead am on the wait list for Rick at SMG guns. Thought about getting the Cetme build kit from them and decided to just get an HK flat set instead after seeing some of the negative responses about HMG with their CS in relations to the build kits.
First heard of them while back and they had a no mass ship already so I did not even consider it

First heard of them while back and they had a no mass ship already so I did not even consider it
Yeah, when they first were out and were already a well established company I thought about it too because I was still at least partially out of state resident. What annoys me the most with that whole thing at that time was they'll ship to NJ with no threaded barrel, a welded barrel and a 10 round magazine, but they won't to MA because f*** us, right?
Jokes on me though I suppose because they haven't shipped to anybody. [rofl]

Well I honestly can't say I've ever bought something I actually regretted purchasing. I've never gone into a gun shop and walked out with an impulse purchase, and been like, " I'm an idiot, what have I done?"

This usually doesn't happen immediately but often times months later. Like I impulsively bought two Sig P320s. Then the stupid recall happens. If I could have unrang that bell I would have in a nanosecond, $1000 buys a lot of ammunition. Both of those f***ing things were impulse buys, now I'm basically stuck with them. No they're not terrible guns, hardly, but if I had my druthers I would rather not have bought them to
begin with.

Most of my purchases are impulsive but they do make sense, to me anyway. Living in this state, I buy shit I think may be taken away from me when Maura decides I'm not capable of owning.

I give zero f***s about MA bans I drive around her/MA bullshit whenever I want. The same way we did with all the AGs that came before her. On a personal level her "ban" is meaningless to
me. As a matter of principle though it still needs to be fought at every turn, but that's more of an issue of the ass-kicking that dealers are taking over it, etc. And the general malaise caused to
newbies, etc. Her ban creates a climate of irrational fear that stops new people that don't know any better from getting licenses and guns.

If I lived in NH or some other free state there is no way I'd have all the Armament I've acquired, its sickening and its Maura's fault..

I generally avoid buying guns because of some stupid bitch's political stunts.

For ex. I bought a Tavor recently, I liked them, they are popular and they are great rifles, but I never planned on buying one. But in this state, I feel I better get one.

Why would you buy something you didn't want? Because fear? I guess it makes sense if you have lots of cash to set on fire, but to me its money that could have been spent on the guns that I have or more ammunition, etc.

I to have a hate for ANYTHING .22, I will never ever buy one. I cant buy into them being fun and cheap to shoot, just not for me.
I definitely dont shoot all the guns in my safe, but there is only one, I've considered selling. And again, most of it Is because of restrictions or incase of future restrictions.

If a gun in my safe isn't run at least once a year it gets sold, unless it's like a dupe of something else or some kind of intentional backup etc. Or it's something that I'm babysitting for a friend. (I have no idea why but they think I am the gun orphanage or something.... [rofl] ) Otherwise, dust collectors represent wasted capital otherwise. The notion of an unfired gun is just mind numbing to me. The only way I'd make an exception is if it was some priceless family heirloom or something, that wasn't safe to fire. And i don't have any of those... [laugh]

-Mike

Last edited:
I generally avoid buying guns because of some stupid bitch's political stunts.
I'll admit at least part of my reason for buying an SKS was that it was right after 7/20 and I was shooting my AKs a lot. There were those one or two stories about people being stopped by cops camping outside of MA ranges, and I got nervous that AKs/ARs would become kind of safe queens, so I got an SKS as partly another means to shoot 7.62x39. It's still a gun I bring to MA often when I am shooting there and I don't regret buying it. If I had to sell due to hardship, though, it'd be probably # 3 out the door.

If a gun in my safe isn't run at least once a year it gets sold, unless it's like a dupe of something else or some kind of intentional backup etc. Or it's something that I'm babysitting for a friend. (I have no idea why but they think I am the gun orphanage or something.... [rofl] ) Otherwise, dust collectors represent wasted capital otherwise. The notion of an unfired gun is just mind numbing to me. The only way I'd make an exception is if it was some priceless family heirloom or something, that wasn't safe to fire. And i don't have any of those... [laugh]
I have my infamous spreadsheet where I track cleaning/round count/last fired, etc. Everything made it out last year, although it took a 12/31 range trip to get the last two items out. However, due to my move to NH I could only do USPSA from January-June so I had to "rush" to get them all out.

This year everything's already been shot at least once except for two "occasional summer carry" pieces. I'll actually probably shoot them in a week or two.

I've never sold a gun (did a trade once), but I have two items that I have thought about listing, one because it messes with my hand (leftie) and one because it's worth more than I value it, based on prices I see. It's not a gun I particularly enjoy and would rather convert it into something I would enjoy more.

It is my understanding they absolutely destroy brass which as a reloader kind of stinks. But otherwise, yes, it's a contender. There were some posts wanting to do a group buy in the Members' Section, but it didn't take off.
Have you looked into EMWON - A's? Because you should really just get one.
The standard ones are going for $1150 right now so that's within budget, but I've fired one a good amount (few hundred rounds) and it's close enough to my M1s (plus I can shoot it whenever my friend brings his) that it rates low on the list for me; I don't have regular access to any of the others on the list except (soon) an AR-10.

larger calibers in general are just more fun. My 8mm Mauser has become my favorite rifle. i need a second. my scar is great for the purpose of a DMR with a nice scope. i would not mind an M&P10, or an FG42

Regarding the M&P 10 part, as far as "AR10"s go they are of some quality and are backed by S&W, the 18 inch contoured barrel is really unique and lightweight. The downside to them is S&W mucked around with things and has some proprietary parts that you just cant get elsewhere. They are a fine rifle if you like what you buy out of the box and are OK with shipping back for repairs if they are ever needed, a bad choice if you like to customize and tinker yourself.

Last edited:
Something black and stainless came home with me today, in addition to a shotgun (which I will post about in GD later on today)...

This is a DSA SA58 FAL clone with stainless steel receiver and bull or "medium contour" barrel. Serial number is DS170XX, which indicates LMT made the receiver. Receiver also marked "DSAInc." in logo and "LK BARRINGTON, IL." The caliber is marked as ".308 CAL."

Here's a thread quoting a thread saying when receivers stopped being forged and instead were cast internally by DSA:

How to tell older DSA cast forged receivers from newer Cast type? - AR15.COM

And here's a thread about these stainless guns in particular:

DSA Stainless steel barrel???? - AR15.COM

Stainless Steel DSA - The FAL Files

Bought the rifle off a member here on NES. The rifle also comes with a bipod. I took the bipod off and there's a retaining washer still in the handguard, so I need to figure out how to remove the handguard. Edit: the handguard comes off with two torx-esque screws at the muzzle end:

Free floating hand guard - The FAL Files

For the time being I don't intend to do anything to the gun except perhaps add a flash suppressor or FN combination device and maybe permanently attach a sling swivel if I find one helpful in RI 3-gun matches and if they won't let me use a bipod. The rifle is heavy as it is and doesn't need more stuff. I may add an optic over this winter if I find I need one. However, I really like the OEM FAL sights. The rifle has not been fired much and just needs to be cleaned up from storage and its last firing by the previous owner.

And finally here's the obligatory pictures of my carpeting because I don't own a workbench [laugh]

20190520_150436.jpg 20190520_150831.jpg 20190520_150926.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Something black and stainless came home with me today, in addition to a shotgun (which I will post about in GD later on today)...

This is a DSA SA58 FAL clone with stainless steel receiver and bull or "medium contour" barrel. Serial number is DS170XX, which indicates LMT made the receiver. Receiver also marked "DSAInc." in logo and "LK BARRINGTON, IL." The receiver is also marked as ".308 CAL."

Here's a thread quoting a thread saying when receivers stopped being forged and instead were cast internally by DSA:

Bought the rifle off a member here on NES. The rifle also comes with a bipod. I took the bipod off and there's a retaining washer still in the handguard, so I need to figure out how to remove the handguard. Edit: the handguard comes off with two torx-esque screws at the muzzle end:

For the time being I don't intend to do anything to the gun except perhaps add a flash suppressor or FN combination device and maybe permanently attach a sling swivel if I find one helpful in RI 3-gun matches and if they won't let me use a bipod. The rifle is heavy as it is and doesn't need more stuff. I may add an optic over this winter if I find I need one. However, I really like the OEM FAL sights. The rifle has not been fired much and just needs to be cleaned up from storage and its last firing by the previous owner.

And finally here's the obligatory pictures of my carpeting because I don't own a workbench [laugh]

View attachment 285453 View attachment 285454 View attachment 285456
Nice! I think it will look even better with a muzzle device.

Wow - that’s a beaut. Was that formally on sale here? I ask because I’ve been looking for an AR-308 platform for a bit. Definitely let us know how she handles if and when you get to the range.

Wow - that’s a beaut. Was that formally on sale here? I ask because I’ve been looking for an AR-308 platform for a bit. Definitely let us know how she handles if and when you get to the range.

Yes it was. I plan on going to NH this weekend and shooting with a friend and then swinging down to meet @daekken so he can try the FAL also. Rifle's then going to see action at a 3-gun match in RI on Father's Day. Stay tuned.

This is a DSA SA58 FAL clone with stainless steel receiver and bull or "medium contour" barrel. Serial number is DS170XX, which indicates LMT made the receiver. Receiver also marked "DSAInc." in logo and "LK BARRINGTON, IL." The caliber is marked as ".308 CAL."

View attachment 285453 View attachment 285454 View attachment 285456
That's tasty! I don't think I've ever seen even a pic of one of these before. The DSA railed top cover is a nice addition too; it's a solid piece.
Good luck with her!

That's tasty! I don't think I've ever seen even a pic of one of these before. The DSA railed top cover is a nice addition too; it's a solid piece.
Good luck with her!

Per DSA and FALFiles, DSA made something like 275 to 300 of these receivers. The reason for so few is that an all-stainless gun is expensive and heavy. Once you find one, they go for about $1300 to $2000ish.

Back
Top Bottom