• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

7.62x39 AR upper BCG??

MAGA99

NES Member
5C953FA6-C5A7-4A4F-8933-E8BDC70EB430.jpeg A friend showed up with a new to him AR chambered in x39 the other day and none of us knew that such an animal existed (very familiar w 233/5.56 and 300 blackout). He bought it used and was not familiar either. Seems to be custom mags that fit standard lower.

Not sure about BCG though. Is it just a slightly different bolt in standard bolt carrier ??

colt made an ar in 7.62x39, don't know if it was ever discontinued. several companies offer this caliber in an ar rifle. no custom mags, you got to buy a 7.62x39 ar style mag, easy to find. rileys and bass pro (manchester) are stocked items on the shelf but pricey. i built 2 of these and despite rumors to the contrary, work flawlessly. well, the bolt is 7.62x39, don't know what the base dimension of the cartridge is so i don't know if another bolt can be used. obviously it ain't gonna be a 5.56 bolt. i bought a couple spares when the parts shortage hit a few years ago just in case. my side charger configuration takes a different bolt.

7.62x39 in AR platform has been around for a while. however my experiences there were not positive. to me if i wanted a .30 cal AR i would just go to a 300 blk despite the 7.62x39 being more powerful. the only different parts are the BCG, bolt and magazines. From what I can tell it uses similar buffer and spring. i think the gas port is closer something like carbine length but not a major difference like a 300 blk that runs best on a pistol length.

issues many encounter:
-poor feeding through magazines, due to tapered cartridge going up a straight mag well
-lighter hammer springs lead to lightstrikes on the berdan primed ammo, so most end up running mil spec or heavier hammer springs
-due to larger chambering, the walls of the bolt face are thinner. i frequently shredded off bolt lugs, must faster than on a comparable 5.56. i'm guessing this is why CMMG went to a larger bolt/BCG on their mutant 7.62x39 rifle
-increased degree of fouling in chamber and BCG particularly with steel cased ammo (this is my own observation, may not be universal)

honestly most who get into this setup end up wishing they went with a 5.56. in my case i pulled out the 7.62 barrel and placed what shoudl have been there from the start, a 16 inch BCM lightweight barrel. for longer range a heavy 223 just walks all over a 7.62x39. yes this is a sensitive topic but most who love the 7.62x39 never shoot past 200 yards. i still dig the cartridge but i find 223 far more versatile.

to have a truly reliable and smooth operating rifle in 7.62x39, it's best built around a curved magazine like an AK. just my opinion. it's worth exactly what you paid for it.

Last edited:
I love my x39 AR...rounds are cheap, you can train with a nice hard hitting round. I needed to buy a extended firing pin and a heavy hammer spring, it chews any ammo I put in it...tula, wolf, Red army. Def a good call to have one.

I don't own any ARs, but the 7.62x39mm in an AR isn't anything new.
You have other options without changing the 5.56x45mm BCG (which doesn't apply to your friend's rifle). As mentioned the .300 ACC BLK. Another option: the .277 Wolverine.
.277 Wolverine
There's also a .25-45 Sharps; duplicates the 250 Savage (.250-3000) essentially, the first commercial rifle cartridge to break the 3000 fps barrier.
Probably many others, but don't expect any of these to be widely available at less than 25¢ per round!

Rim dia.: 7.62x39mm .447" -.010" / .223 Remington .378" -.010"
http://saami.org/specifications_and_information/publications/download/Z299-4_ANSI-SAAMI_CFR.pdf

Your friend has the following option with his 7.62x39mm AR, I suppose:
q0ntFvsm.jpg

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vS9eMyZnZ2U

[SHOT 2018] Wolf Ammo's 9X39 AR-15 And Taiwanese 205th Arsenal - The Firearm Blog

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom