• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

7.62x39 ammo, just for the hell of it...

price now seems to be down to 27.5cpr on most steel x39 - still a bit high, but, some time ago a cci .22lr was at that level.
When I was a kid my dad bought steel cased 22lr Junoir brand russian ammo.
He once said the 4 out of 5 shots are free. Shit was cheep but not bad especially for old school plinking . He would buy it by the case, 50 or 75k round cases. The steel stuff was loose in a heavy wooden crate wrapped in heavy wax paper.
I have one 500 round brick of brass stuff left.
We would piss through that stuff by summers end and then some.

I mean i have shot thousands upon thousands of steel case with zero issues. Mind you i only use it on my ak's. White box red army standard is basically Tula. Half of the Wolf ammo is made by Tula the other half by Barnaul. If i am not mistaken Barnaul makes the "Bear" ak ammo as well. Golden tiger i believe is its own but i swear i see little difference between that and the red box red army standard. I don't buy ak's to shoot quarters at 200 yards so bring on the cheap stuff. Every brand i have shot has gone bang. My fear is that they will stop importation of ammo from russia. This is why i have been stocking up on steel case while others are buying up all the domestic ammo which will be available regardless.

So just ran into this with wolf, don't think it was like that when I loaded it into the drum

View attachment 498999
which cartridge is the problem?
i have had as many as 3 different bullet types in one box. I pulled down 30 rounds of wolf black box stuf f and had 4 noticeably different powders in that one batch of 30 rounds.
I was getting large variances in velocity and was curious to see why.
Wolf,tula, bear i have had many many boxes mixed with fmj , hp and sp bullets.

Finnish Lapua is very good but good luck finding it and when you do, you won’t want to pay for it. Brass cased top quality stuff.

I have a ton of sellier & bellot which has been great over the years - i have not seen any for sale recently. Steel cased but consistent.

I understand that their are like 2-3 ammo manufacturers is Russia and Tula is one of them and Barnul might be another - wolf, brown bear and golden tiger, example, do not “make” anything - it’s a branding thing.

I have found a good way to shop for 762x39 is by gr. I try to find 123gr as I understand this is the original military loading. YMMV.

So just ran into this with wolf, don't think it was like that when I loaded it into the drum

View attachment 498999
Same happened to me with Wolf Poly. Diving down into the front of the feed on a 75rd Chinese drum. I don’t think it mattered what round or brand was in there. The piston of an AK has a lot of kinetic energy.

Same happened to me with Wolf Poly. Diving down into the front of the feed on a 75rd Chinese drum. I don’t think it mattered what round or brand was in there. The piston of an AK has a lot of kinetic energy.
Im guessing it was due to the angle in the drum and how fast I was trying to shoot. Haven't tried to see if I can duplicate it yet though

Im guessing it was due to the angle in the drum and how fast I was trying to shoot. Haven't tried to see if I can duplicate it yet though
When I loaded them with 75 rds it happens. 73 no problem. The numbers of winds also plays into it. I’d say 4.5 full turns for my drum does it.

Uhm Red Army Standard is usually just private label Tulammo, I thought that was common knowledge.

My favorite AK ammo is Silver Bear.

I mean i have shot thousands upon thousands of steel case with zero issues. Mind you i only use it on my ak's. White box red army standard is basically Tula. Half of the Wolf ammo is made by Tula the other half by Barnaul. If i am not mistaken Barnaul makes the "Bear" ak ammo as well. Golden tiger i believe is its own but i swear i see little difference between that and the red box red army standard. I don't buy ak's to shoot quarters at 200 yards so bring on the cheap stuff. Every brand i have shot has gone bang. My fear is that they will stop importation of ammo from russia. This is why i have been stocking up on steel case while others are buying up all the domestic ammo which will be available regardless.
Sigh* I knew it was coming but still didn't stock up enough.

I wonder if any of the sealed bullet & primer ammo would decrease the likelihood of projo setback...?

1630262133952.png

I would like to find and try some of the GECO 7.62x39. They offer a "target" loading also...

"German designed and manufactured in Switzerland, Geco 7.62x39mm ammo has become the predominant choice of Olympic shooters as well as many competition shooters in the United States. Reliable, sturdy and dependable are just a few words that come to mind when thinking of the Geco line of ammunition. This Geco 7.62x39mm ammo is new production, non-corrosive ammunition, re-loadable and features brass casing and boxer primer. Ideal for target practice, plinking or range use this high quality ammunition is ready for the job. Geco 7.62x39mm ammo is loaded with a 124 grain Full Metal Jacket Round Nose bullet that is lead core and non-magnetic. The Full Metal Jacketed Round Nose bullet has a technically simple design that is favorable for production, making it interesting for shooters who engage in intensive training. With state of the art technologies, innovative design, and exacting quality controls, Geco are extremely reliable, match grade cartridges. Geco ammunition is made with high quality components and held at above ammo standards, making it the top ammunition provider on the European market. Geco manufactures some of the best precision crafted ammunition on the market today"

1630262219607.png

As well as a Soft Point...

1630262383721.png

Last edited:
I would like to find and try some of the GECO 7.62x39. They offer a "target" loading also...

View attachment 517305

As well as a Soft Point...

View attachment 517306
For a short period of time last year the Geco was discontinued and covered by Norma which are both under RUAG brands. Now Geco is back as of this year and is made in Switzerland while Norma is made in Hungary. The precision rifle lines of both brands are made in Switzerland. The ball ammo is made in Hungary.

A few examples I happen to have. Notice the new Geco just says “Made in EU” lol.
DB29B6C8-C6BA-42C7-825E-DB5C0DEC81CF.jpeg D2C2310F-C4C8-425F-A75E-DD5AB308BE72.jpeg C3FAE770-F198-4454-ACE5-33623448C3D0.jpeg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom