• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

7.62x39 ammo, just for the hell of it...

No brainer for turbo89 since he's in NH.

I'm sure someone will see your post and be more than willing to exchange ammo brands if Turbo does not take you up on your offer. I would...

Also, I believe that the AR chambers are a little more precise on their tolerances, which can cause extraction issues with case sealants (or, so I've read and never experienced)

The Com-Bloc rifles are supposedly much looser tolerances and will feed every x39 out there.

Have you tried brass cased x39?

As to the overpressure, could have been an over-pour on the propellant. Who knows...

Last edited:
I'm sure someone will see your post and be more than willing to exchange ammo brands if Turbo does not take you up on your offer. I would...

Also, I believe that the AR chambers are a little more precise on their tolerances, which can cause extraction issues with case sealants (or, so I've read and never experienced)

The Com-Bloc rifles are supposedly much looser tolerances and will feed every x39 out there.

As to the overpressure, could have been an over-pour on the propellant. Who knows...
Very true! I'd guess even the shit tier quality of bear creek arsenal still has a tighter chamber than my AK. I have not tried brass in it and don't plan on it as steel is so much cheaper lol. When you pay $280 for the entire upper including BCG, I don't mind replacing extractors [laugh]

Very true! I'd guess even the shit tier quality of bear creek arsenal still has a tighter chamber than my AK. I have not tried brass in it and don't plan on it as steel is so much cheaper lol. When you pay $280 for the entire upper including BCG, I don't mind replacing extractors [laugh]
Do you plan on working up reloads for the x39? Just curious...

Yesterday I chucked my AR10 chamber brush into my drill and scrubbed the shit out of the chamber. Wow is it clean now 😂
I’m going to be better at cleaning the chamber going forward. I normally just run a bore snake and clean/lube the bolt

I wonder if the lacquer or primer/bullet sealant causes for "stickier" extraction than Tula/Wolf ammo? Though he's saying Tula and Red Army are hard on the bolts. Does Red Army make a lacquered x39 round? I think the few boxes I had, was just like the poly coated wolf or tula?
been a long time since ive seen red box RAS that was lacquer coated. Most of the RAS stuff the past 3 years is rebranded tula.
I'm wondering if I might have more issues with GT than Tula in my AR due to the lacquer and bullet sealant...

Though if I need to replace the extractor every couple thousand rounds, it's short money. I just need to keep an eye on the bolt/lugs/gas rings etc. Probably wouldn't hurt to have a spare bolt.

I got a bunch of GT x39. If you ever find your way in the Wilmington or Gloucester area I'd happily sell you a case for what it would cost me to replace it with Tula/Wolf from TSUSA. That would be $372.
If you want wolf and Tula i would be happy to just trade you 1000 for 1000 GT. If you are willing to meet me half way. I am in NB its about 1hr 20 mins from Willmington. Looks like Avon is about 44 minutes for both of us. Just PM me if you want. I just shoot out of my ak's so to me i am happy with either one.

I dunno if the Republic ammo is dirtier or if the purple primer/bullet sealant fouling is more noticeable than regular black fouling[laugh]

This was after 120 rounds today. Chamber and bolt was spotless prior to shooting FWIW. It’s accurate and no malfunctions so I can’t complain too much.
3A45AE07-5EC9-4251-BEF6-1C76E4ED2934.jpeg 28BE466C-8811-4F47-9908-F4D81B4CAA87.jpeg
EB0AFFAC-D380-47B5-8955-23D7FFEEBB4C.jpeg

But what I do like is the flash!😂
This is much flashier than Wolf/Tula. I mean this is from a 10.5" barrel but still.
0BBF8888-4D1C-44D8-8832-3B13881573F5.jpeg C76ED0CD-3ADD-44D2-A058-8559EA7D56B2.png

I dunno if the Republic ammo is dirtier or if the purple primer/bullet sealant fouling is more noticeable than regular black fouling[laugh]

This was after 120 rounds today. Chamber and bolt was spotless prior to shooting FWIW. It’s accurate and no malfunctions so I can’t complain too much.
View attachment 559845View attachment 559846
View attachment 559847

This is much flashier than Wolf/Tula. I mean this is from a 10.5" barrel but still.
View attachment 559849View attachment 559850
Really making me regret not getting the short upper with that flash lol

I told myself I need to actually save money this year. We'll see how long I hold out [rofl]
Well you could always go cheap and get a BCA for $230 shipped LOL.
Someday I’ll upgrade but I enjoy shooting this BCA upper since I don’t care about getting it banged up.

When I shoot a lot of ammo that uses primer sealant, the inside of the gun looks like lipstick got everywhere. It is very messy. Does its job, though, for long term storage.

View attachment 559845View attachment 559846

View attachment 559849View attachment 559850
Not what i had in mind when i asked for a pic of you to flashing. On a side note those flash pics are awesome. Where you happy with the accuracy?

Not what i had in mind when i asked for a pic of you to flashing. On a side note those flash pics are awesome. Where you happy with the accuracy?
The accuracy seemed just as good as Tula/Wolf. I was just shooting my 8" steel at 60ish yards offhand. No issues

This, the whole point of an x39 upper is the ability to feed turds in it, otherwise youd shoot something else.

I will say I do have a 720 round case of Igman brass x39 ammo coming. But that’s because it was literally 3 cents more per round than steel Wolf/Tula etc. No brainer.

I will say I do have a 720 round case of Igman brass x39 ammo coming. But that’s because it was literally 3 cents more per round than steel Wolf/Tula etc. No brainer.
Lmk how you like that stuff. I'm assuming it's basically new production, non-corrosive Yugoslavian M67. Both lead core, brass case and made in Igman arsnenal. But now 'Made in Bosnia' instead of 'Made in Yugoslavia'

Last I knew the TSUSA 15-round Igman ammo was 52¢ a round (most steel-cased is still about 35¢ per). If you reload, the Igman (boxer-primed) makes sense certainly.
I assume you MAers pay sales tax at TSUSA?
FWIW, there's some steel-cased on guntalk.club for 34¢, but shipping or pick up will kill that deal.

Last I knew the TSUSA 15-round Igman ammo was 52¢ a round (most steel-cased is still about 35¢ per). If you reload, the Igman (boxer-primed) makes sense certainly.
I assume you MAers pay sales tax at TSUSA?
FWIW, there's some steel-cased on guntalk.club for 34¢, but shipping or pick up will kill that deal.
Yup. This other had it for 40 cpr shipped because of a 10% NYE coupon. No brainer at that price.
No idea on quality of brass but I don’t plan on reloading x39 as finding inexpensive bullets is next to impossible.

The Igman was supposed to be delivered today but the weather f***ed that up. Says Tuesday delivery now. First world problems…

Yup. This other had it for 40 cpr shipped because of a 10% NYE coupon. No brainer at that price.
No idea on quality of brass but I don’t plan on reloading x39 as finding inexpensive bullets is next to impossible.
You did good.
As for bullets, they're no longer 15¢ or less. I have a bunch of Inceptor SRR bullets that are supposed to be .312" diameter (several boxes are more like .309"). They stabilize in the SKS, but not in the Argentine Mauser, so I guess I lucked out here. Have you tried standard .308" diameter bullets in the x39mm, perhaps they'll shoot okay, albeit under-sized?

You did good.
As for bullets, they're no longer 15¢ or less. I have a bunch of Inceptor SRR bullets that are supposed to be .312" diameter (several boxes are more like .309"). They stabilize in the SKS, but not in the Argentine Mauser, so I guess I lucked out here. Have you tried standard .308" diameter bullets in the x39mm, perhaps they'll shoot okay, albeit under-sized?
Nah. I’m not tooled up to reload x39 and don’t plan to 😂
I’ll keep shooting my 25-35 cpr steel cased ammo.

Graf’s has PPU 123 gr 0.310" bullets in stock. They don’t ship to MA for anyone wondering. After shipping this is 30+ cents per bullet.

Nah. I’m not tooled up to reload x39 and don’t plan to 😂
I’ll keep shooting my 25-35 cpr steel cased ammo.

Graf’s has PPU 123 gr 0.310" bullets in stock. They don’t ship to MA for anyone wondering. After shipping this is 30+ cents per bullet.
I am tooled up for it so if you happen across any projectiles or reloadable brass, pls keep me in mind...

In a worst case scenario...

Attachments

• IMG_1363.JPG
    IMG_1363.JPG
    660.9 KB · Views: 4
  • x39mm1a.jpg
    x39mm1a.jpg
    344.9 KB · Views: 4
  • x39mm200gr.jpg
    x39mm200gr.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 310DiaFrangibleBigger.jpg
    310DiaFrangibleBigger.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 4
Last resort (pics are not 7.62x39mm, but the .308" diameter sabot will work in my SKS):

Attachments

• Swz7.5(sf).jpg
    Swz7.5(sf).jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 3
  • CrispHoles2a1.jpg
    CrispHoles2a1.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 3
Back
Top Bottom