• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

7.62 x39 recommendation?

In God We Trust

NES Member
I am taking advantage of the tax free weekend by picking up a new AK (WASR-10) and I figure I might as well get a couple cases of ammo also. Anyone have suggestions for a rifle rookie about some quality ammo and maybe where to get it on the cheap in the metro west area? Also, can anyone suggest a good magazine brand? Thanks in advance!

Not sure where to get it out that way but any of the cheaper Russian ammo will work fine in your gun. New Tapco mags work great as do most surplus steel mags.

The last time I bought ammo, it was Golden Tiger at Manchester Firing Line. Good price, and I haven't had one not go off yet.

cheap Russian from cabelas. I bought a few cases. The ammo was russian 3.79 a box. Cabelas in amaine is now sold out of this ammo. The same ammo was 5.49 a box at 4 seasons

I got stuck at work, so my wife went out to get it without me. I told her to just get whatever she could as long as it was under $300 for a case. If she can't score any, I will just get some in NH next week.

I have another question for you AK gururs. I read that some of them (5% or so) have problems with the gas tubes or sights being canted. Is this easy to spot with the naked eye?

WASRs aren't picky.

I have another question for you AK gururs. I read that some of them (5% or so) have problems with the gas tubes or sights being canted. Is this easy to spot with the naked eye?

Yes, just look down the sights, and line up the v-notch with the groove that runs down the middle of the rear sight aperture (between the numbers). And then eyeball the front sight block.
If its bad you will notice. If you don't notice, then any small imperfection can be compensated for with the sight tool.

Never heard of a gas tube being canted.

My friend bout one that was fairly canted front sight, but we still adjusted it and got it zeroed.

Back
Top Bottom