• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

7.62 X 54R reloading tips needed....

Hi All,

I've got a nice 91/30 and I want to start reloading for this rifle.

I reload for 40S&W & 10MM pistol rounds using a Dillon 550.

I'm also beginning to get into casting my own bullets.

I'm looking for advice about using the Dillon 550 or some other set of tools (like the Classic Lee loader) to reload a few hundred rounds a year.

I've given up on the thought of reloading the old surplus brass I've been shooting. I'm getting 40 rounds of loaded Privi to get some basic brass & I'm will also be picking up new/primed brass at some point in the future.

Lastly, I don't mind the surplus stuff but its just to damn inconvenient to get here in Mass.

Thanks.

David

You'll want to reload this on a single station press. You can get those dies pretty cheap, and there's only a few steps needed so it doesn't make a lot of sense to struggle through the Dillon set up for a small qty of brass for that one.

PRVI Partizan makes NEW boxer primed brass for this round. I bought some (500 pcs) a while back, and it reloads very well.

You'll need to check your barrel to see how much erosion there has been, and will need bullets of either .308 or .311 (or perhaps something in between) to set in the brass. I load the 7.62X54R with BLC(2) powder, and you'd want to check with Hodgdon to see how much of that for your needs.

There are a bunch of places with info regarding "standard" bullet weight for this round. So, seek out some of that info. Maybe even pull one factory round apart with an inertia bullet puller to see how it's loaded (bullet size/ weight), and then pick a powder and powder weight to go with it.

When I got my Mosin, I immediately ordered the dies, and the brass and never fired any factory ammo through it. It's all been reloads.

I have a single stage press as well as 2 progressives. I use the single stage to size and trim bottle necked rifle brass. I do all my loading on the 450 and the 650 Dillons. If you already own a 550,use that. It's cheaper than buying a single stage press and it will work fine. I also shoot a Mosin. It's very robust even if it is the ugliest rifle I own.

I use progressive press to load for my Mosins and my Finn Mosins.

You may need to slug the barrel to get the correct diameter projectile size. I actually had one of my Mosins counter bored and it shoots dime sized groups now with my reloads.

Use a good reloading book for your best powder selection and use some trial and error of powder types for the best results. There is a great deal of satisfaction when you find just the right powder and grain to get the best results for each rifle.

I also shoot a great deal of surplus.....sorry to hear you cant hook up with someone who lives in a free state to help you buy some ammo.

Remember....keep em in the ten ring[wink]

I use a Lee single stage press. It's slow but it works. Definately slug the bore. You can get worn barrels to shoot like new by using the proper size bullet.

If you want surplus ammo, Bron's classic firearms in Sturbridge has it by the case and always plenty in stock.

Hi All,

I've noticed that the Lee dies are much cheaper. Anybody use them?

Also, will they fit my 550 toolhead?

I will slug the bore. I've got to find my egg shaped lead sinkers first.

If I slug the bore, will I eliminate the need to resize?

David

Most of my dies are RCBS but I have a few sets of Lee dies.They work fine so far. They have the same threads as RCBS dies. Slugging your bore tells you the bore size.You still need to resize your brass but if you're shooting the ammo in a bolt rifle, it doesn't need to be full length resized. It may be more accurate if you neck size only. I don't know if you'll notice the difference, shooting a Mosin. I love shooting my Mosin but it's not my most accurate military bolt action.

You can get a neck sizing only die for your Mosin, which would allow you to only size the part of the case which holds the bullet firmly. The Mosins are bolt actions, and the neck sizing only dies are made for that. If you had two Mosins, there would be differences between them, and you would have to full length resize unless you took pains to keep the brass separate, one to the other.

Lee also offers a "Factory Crimp" die for the Mosin, a great investment.

One of my reloading students is an Orthodontist.

He was having issues with reloaded ammo working in one of his Sig P229 but not in the other, supposedly identical P229's. After batting around ideas, we agreed that taking a casting of the chamber would be the best idea.

He said that the rubbery cast material that they use for dental work sets up fast, and is dimensionally stable, even after time. I would guess that it makes it suitable for "slugging" the barrel also. He used the term, "Alginate", when referring to the stuff.

I used some Googling, and see that the stuff is readily available:
http://www.fineartstore.com/Catalog...el/a/Default.aspx?SortField=UnitCost,UnitCost

http://www.monstermakers.com/product/dental-grade-alginate-1-lb.html

http://www.directdentalsupplies.com/shop/cat/alginate-replacement/product-14449.php

Last edited:
My BIL has 7.62x54R dies, (NIB). He inherited them from his father and has no plans to reload. He has a bunch of other dies as well - some exotic stuff like .218 Bee and the like. If anyone is interested, let me know...

Interested. Can you send me a PM with what he has for dies, and how much $$$ he wants. I may buy the lot.

There's been some interest, so I'll talk to him tonight and have him run through what he has. His father passed away and left him with a lot of guns and related hardware, but sadly, he could not fit the megaton of reloading equipment, (save a bunch of die sets and reamers) in his car...Guns took priority. Will let you guys know what he has and let you all know...

There's been some interest, so I'll talk to him tonight and have him run through what he has. His father passed away and left him with a lot of guns and related hardware, but sadly, he could not fit the megaton of reloading equipment, (save a bunch of die sets and reamers) in his car...Guns took priority. Will let you guys know what he has and let you all know...

[smile] Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom