• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

7.62 NATO "battle packs"

jcetto0351

NES Member
Here's my mini-rant:

I go to my favorite local gun shop and have $250 to drop on some .308 win. I wanted to get a variety to see how they perform with my new rifle and also to get a feel for what she likes to eat. I buy some WWB in .308, some Hornady match .308, some R1M1 south African 7.62 NATO, .... so far so good.

This is where I look at the $170 two hundred round sealed sleeve of 145gr. 7.62 NATO which was next to some "other" 7.62 NATO rounds in the 20 pack boxes which were 12.99 a box. I know I should have been more careful and observant but I was a little upset when I realized the 200 round battle pack was the same exact ammo as the loose 20 round pack but were marked up $40 when bought in bulk!

I don't blame the shop because I could have been more observant. (lesson learned and they have lost my ammunition business in the future) I would like to know if this is a common practice and whether or not I got hosed by my favorite gun shop?

Well, the battle pack WAS over-priced, but you can blame some of the difference on a "sealed" container that supposedly extends the shelf life of the ammo, and protects it from "the elements." In a wartime or TEOTWAWKI situation, it can be a useful feature, but for range plinking ammo - not so much.

maybe they bought it when prices were higher. now new inventory comes in and the price is lower. I have seen the same ammo on the same shelf marked different prices. When i mentioned it to the owner, he explained they were to busy to remark them.

I guess I was hoping that as a "regular" they would have said something... I don't blame them for not but I feel a bit cheated and I'll be shopping elsewhere for ammo. They still have a great selection for firearms though

They probably had some 20 round packs out, then got a new shipment of bulk packs in and needed to raise the prices, leaving the 20 round packs already on the shelf a lower price.

$170! What ammo? Usually they are less than $100, at least I won't pay moe than $.50 a round! That's crazy. Is it berdan or boxer primed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMAG0451.jpg IMAG0452.jpg IMAG0450.jpg

As far as I know the are both the same 145gr .308 I assumed it was cheaper in bulk.

I'll just be more observant in the future.

Last edited:
Just what was stated in earlier posts, they probably had some already open then new battle packs came in for a different price. That is all and the battle packs shouldn't get opened unless you really need to, keep them sealed and stored away for the future before you can't find them like that any more. Look at the .223/5.56 battle packs, those are getting hard to find a reasonable price anymore.

Just my .02, and I always try to keep the battle packs and cans sealed, but its just hard to find them in this NAZI state.

Charles.

Well, the battle pack WAS over-priced, but you can blame some of the difference on a "sealed" container that supposedly extends the shelf life of the ammo, and protects it from "the elements." In a wartime or TEOTWAWKI situation, it can be a useful feature, but for range plinking ammo - not so much.

This

$40 for the coolness factor of something called a battle pack.

well....yeah....

I meant is one US manufactured as opposed to some south american country and maybe that was the reason for the price difference. I think Newgunguy is probably right though

They are all privi-partizan , not US manufacture at all. But it is boxer primed and re-load able, good brass too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you ask the shop what was up with that bulk price yet? Damn, 40 bucks is 40 bucks, better in your pocket, right? Might have even been an oversight cause thats a big difference even for a sealed can.

well....yeah....

I meant is one US manufactured as opposed to some south american country and maybe that was the reason for the price difference. I think Newgunguy is probably right though

All privi partizan ammo is manufactured in Serbia...I figured that was a no brainer

It is decent stuff, I've shot quite a bit of it without incident

I bought 400 Rnds of .308 147gr FMJ battle packs from here for $142. Looks sold out now but they prices on their other Russian ammo is pretty cheap too.

Back
Top Bottom