7.5 or 8?

I favor 7.5 just because there the biggest you can use. There is aprox a 50 shot deference between the two useing 1.125oz and .005 difference in size. Mix up both in a box. dont look. The target wont know either. maybe when you get to the 27 yard line it may matter

I use whatever Walmart has at the time. I haven't been shooting long, but I can't tell the difference.

Most of the shooters that I've seen shoot 8, but some wll switch to 7 1/2 for handicap, especially 24 yards and over.

The theory being that there is greater energy in each pellet. I'm sure that there is a scientific analysis somewhere, but I'd guess that there is minimal difference.

Now....much of Trap is a mental game, and if you "know" that 7 1/2 will work better for you, then you'll do better. ( I understand that there are real differences between one load and another, and my reloads hit the bird "differently" than factory, but I'm saying that if all parameters other than shot size are the same, there's not going to be that much difference)

This is an excellent Trap discussion - when we're done here, let's move on to what is the "Perfect" barrel length! [laugh]

Why?

What conditions make one favorable over the other?

Does getting on target faster favor the 7.5, or 8?

I'm not really looking for "what to do", but more of the why.

Heavy wind influences #8's more than #7 1/2s, also #7 1/2s are better for the longer distance shots, however if you get on target pretty quick, #8s are great. I personally usually shoot #7 1/2s in my 20ga and #8's in my 12 as the 20ga has a shorter barrel, less powder, and a fixed modified choke. I have found that 8's out of my 20ga have a harder time breaking the new "corn meal" clays that have been exposed to the humidity. You'll see a few pellets go through, but the bird manages to stay together.

For trap it does'nt much matter really. Like MisterHappy said trap is a mental game.

Now if you were talking sporting clays there are advantages to #7 1/2 or #8's.

The super math wiz types may answer this better.

If the pellets where pure lead # 8 measure .090, # 7.5 measure .095 how much more velocity and energy would be retained by the 7.5 vs 8 ? If loaded to 1200fps. sorry I dont know how much a pellet would weigh?

I shoot 8 at 16 yards and will go to 7 1/2 when moving back more.
Having said that you might find it less frustrating and cheaper to just start smoking crack now. :) I love or hate trap depending on the day.

Heavy wind influences #8's more than #7 1/2s, also #7 1/2s are better for the longer distance shots, however if you get on target pretty quick, #8s are great. I personally usually shoot #7 1/2s in my 20ga and #8's in my 12 as the 20ga has a shorter barrel, less powder, and a fixed modified choke. I have found that 8's out of my 20ga have a harder time breaking the new "corn meal" clays that have been exposed to the humidity. You'll see a few pellets go through, but the bird manages to stay together.

Ok, I understand most of that, and it makes a lot of sense. Except for the part about getting on target quick. Why would a smaller shot be and advantage?

For trap it does'nt much matter really. Like MisterHappy said trap is a mental game.

Now if you were talking sporting clays there are advantages to #7 1/2 or #8's.

Can you expand on this? What's different about sporting clays that makes it matter?

I'm a pretty new trap shooter with a gun that's way way way better than I am. I've been buying a mix of 7.5 and 8 bulk Federal stuff at Wallyworld because it's cheap, and certainly good enough for me at this time. I'm pretty sure I can't tell the difference between the two shot sizes, but it would be nice to know why I'd want one over the other once my skill improves to the point I can tell the difference. (and if I expand into other shotgun sports)

http://shotshell.drundel.com/pelletcount.htm

The link above will give you pellet counts if you want to check my math.

quick paper calculation, based on the data in the link, and 1200 fps:

each pellet of 7 1/2 averages 0.0029 ounces, or 0.0001812 pounds.

Therefore, energy = mass x velocity: 0.001812 x 1200.0 = .2174 pounds feet of energy.

Result is .1829 lbft for 8 ( 16 percent less energy per pellet )

That's at the muzzle.

A sphere is a crappy aerodynamic shape, so there is significant energy loss due to deceleration due to drag.

When you consider that the shot string lengthens from about 1 inch to several (IIRC 11) feet at "normal" trap ranges you can see that there's a lot of turbulence and drag.

And each gun will digest a given load differentlt from the next gun in the rack.

Now, a clay is designed to break - so even a light hit may give you a dead bird.

As a practical matter, go with what you're comfortable with - the mental certainty of a good load in your shotgun will outweigh the minor differences in retained energy. When you're good enough to note the difference in the quality of the hits with different size shot, THEN it will be important.

I'll let you know when I get there!

http://shotshell.drundel.com/pelletcount.htm

And each gun will digest a given load differentlt from the next gun in the rack.

As a practical matter, go with what you're comfortable with - the mental certainty of a good load in your shotgun will outweigh the minor differences in retained energy. When you're good enough to note the difference in the quality of the hits with different size shot, THEN it will be important.

I'll let you know when I get there!

I don't shoot trap, but always thought the way to select shot size was to pattern each with your shotgun and go with the size that gives the most evenly spread pattern (no holes or gaps). I figure, even if the results vary from round to round, doing this once will give you enough confidence in your choice that you won't worry about it anymore. Then you can concentrate on form, and practice practice practice.

That being said, I warn you that I am more of a rifle shooter. I tend to try to aim my shotgun, and so I suck with it on clays.

Last edited:
I don't shoot trap, but always thought the way to select shot size was to pattern each with your shotgun and go with the size that gives the most evenly spread pattern (no holes or gaps). I figure, even if the results vary from round to round, doing this once will give you enough confidence in your choice that you won't worry about it anymore. Then you can concentrate on form, and practice practice practice.

That being said, I warn you that I am more of a rifle shooter. I tend to try to aim my shotgun, and so I suck with it on clays.

It's not shot size per se, but the load that you pattern. Each maker and each load will perform slightly differently from a given gun. I have reloads that, out of my A5, hit much "harder" than factory loads. Not more birds per round, but each one appears to be more thoroughly smashed.

That being said, when I'm not supplied with reloads, I use the cheapest factory stuff, and I've yet to miss because of a load.

As a practical matter, 98% of the shooters on the Trap line will not notice any difference between 7 1/2 and 8 shot. And the 2% that do notice know what to do.

Trap is mental game ( when you get the body mechanics down ) but it's easy to over-think it, too. Get the cheapest loads so you can shoot more. That's the important thing.

Static paper punching Patern test is only really good to see where your patern is going compared to where your barrel or where you think you barrel is pointing. Also will give you a idea of how open or tight your choke is. There was some really good highspeed(slowmotion) films on busting clays. I will try to to find the links.

Back
Top Bottom