6th. Annual CERF (Chaplain's Emergency Relief Fund) Match - Sig Academy

scan0001-1.jpg

We also expect the BBQ once again !!!

Bump for a worthy cause. Not sure if I can be there unless my wife can hold out giving birth for another week. ;)

P.S. For those of us who can't make it, there is a stellar raffle. Guns from SIG, Ruger, $300 worth of certificates from Comp-Tac, Surefire flashlights from New England Tactical, and a bunch of other stuff. Email John Tata for raffle tickets, $10 each - john.tata AT comcast.net

Last edited:
I believe we will be shooting the following stages:
Outer Limits
Showdown
Smoke & Hope
Pendulum
Roundabout
5 to Go

There will also be a side match/stage. I'm told there the side match will use large targets at a fairly close range for those of us who like the shoot/miss really, really fast.

from the flyer:
160 power factor max, minimum power floor 750 fps

What is the reasoning for these figures? Preserving the life of the steel targets?

I shoot a lead 230g 45acp, at an average of 740 fps, works out to a power factor of 170.

Does this mean I can't use this gun/load?

Last edited:
Can't tell which load you can use, but I can verify that light loads are requred to protect the plates. SC plates are designed to produce a clear audible ding when hit and most likely cost more than regular plates.

Consider this, a 115g 9mm in a carbine could reach velocities of 1350 fps and still be under the 160 PF.

Am I wrong in thinking a fast jacketed 115 g 9mm may do more damage to the plates than a slow lead 230g 45?

Im not here to argue I just curious as to where the figures originated from.

Consider this, a 115g 9mm in a carbine could reach velocities of 1350 fps and still be under the 160 PF.

Am I wrong in thinking a fast jacketed 115 g 9mm may do more damage to the plates than a slow lead 230g 45?

Im not here to argue I just curious as to where the figures originated from.

I has to do with several things and the plates are the last concern. Ask the RO from NH that ended up with a bullet embedded in his arm when it came back off a plate. The Power Factor for this game IIRC were started by Mike Dalton and Mike Fichman.

Last edited:
I think a big concern is the bullet going to slow - The Steel Challenge rulebook recommended a minimum velocity so that the bullet will fragment when it impacts the plates, instead of staying whole and bouncing back toward the shooter. Not sure if the 750fps is still a rule in the new rules (6/30/12) but getting hit by bounce back is not fun.

Last edited:
Looks like a fun time...and the wife is going to CT for the day. Road trip time to NH. Hope to see some NES'ers. Look for the short Asian guy with the Mickey Mouse shirt and say hi!

Glad I was able to make this one. The staff was just great- everyone was friendly and courteous. The heat though... man was it tough!

Was a great day despite the heat. Kiva was rockin the Sombrero and was on Fuego. Thanks to all for putting on this great match.

Last edited:
Without knowing it, I met a few of you guys. Yes, it was a success in spite of the heat. The 11 hours we spent there setting up and running it were well worth the effort.

I will also say that the Meat House http://themeathouse.com/Home.aspx family who once again provided the BBQ at no cost also have become shooters. As some saw we had them shoot the stages ( thanks to all that had to wait a bit while they shot). Jason , who is one of the owner's wife has got bitten by the sport. They also are the driving force behind Operation Thank You. They are the real deal when it comes to helping the area military.

Thanks to all of the staff at SIG who, pitched in. especially the water cart. Being such a precious commodity that day, we had to provide protection.
2012-07-14101927.jpg

[

Justin Rosberg and family who not only helped but shot the match. They had a great time.

2012-07-14092711-1.jpg

2012-07-14155514.jpg

2012-07-14153934.jpg

2012-07-14153934.jpg

2012-07-14123500.jpg

2012-07-14121111.jpg

2012-07-14110448.jpg

2012-07-14110044.jpg

Chief Jon Worrall who help start the match from day one knows what they do after his injuries he received in Iraq. Today he has started a grassroots effort to counsel injured military at his own cabin.

2012-07-14101959.jpg

2012-07-14094700.jpg

Last edited:
This was a great match for a great cause. I had to run a second gun in at the end of the day when the wait at the stages was all but gone!

I got to speak with Chief for a while at a couple different stages and after the match. He thanked me numerous times for attending. I told him the thanks really goes to him and his "guys" for the sacrifice they made / make for all of us.

Thanks to everybody who made this happen. I can't wait to hear how much money was raised for the soldiers.

Last edited:
I had to run a second gun in at the end of the day when the wait at the stages was all but gone!
We had to meet somewhere during the day as I was still playing SO until the very end. Gotta get name tags or t-shirts. John Tata who has been a driving force since day one and really started it all along with the raffles was dared by me to wear a tux. The Chief was in but common sense took over somewhere during the planning sessions.

Chief Worrall knows as do we all that having so many come out and support this cause along with so many commercial vendors makes it the success and allows them to help those who need it.

Thanks again.........

Yes I talked to you Rich. You were working stage 5 (5 to go) if I recall correctly. I came back around at the end with JB from the Acad to shoot my open pistol. I was wearing a plain white T shirt. I started out with a couple really good runs and then lost the groove when I started pushing it too fast.

By the end of the day I barely knew my name. I didn't get home until about 6:30 but living a few minutes from the Academy makes it a bit better. The lobster I have later that night finished off the day.

Now we start planning next year.........

I wish I could have made the CERF match it's always a fun match for a great cause. Thanks to all of the ROs, staff and other volunteers who managed to make it through the desert heat wave. You guys are saints.

Paul - Do you guys at Harvard ever limit pistol power factor for Steel? I can't remember ever turning people away for wanting to shoot factory .45 or .40 loads. But we have had people (myself included) at Pioneer get smacked with jacket fragments (something I consider an occupational hazard) but never a serious safety problem. I think the only factory pistol round I've prohibited was 5.7x28mm (FN Five Seven) and I'd probably also prohibit Tokarov (7.62x25mm) but I'm probably the only one nutty enough to try that one. I'll make a note to reread the rule book and revisit the power factor issue when we make up next year's flyer.

..Paul - Do you guys at Harvard ever limit pistol power factor for Steel? QUOTE]

We have not had any issues with ammo yet - other than a couple that have wanted to shoot 380acp (which I did not allow).

Here's a list of the current SCSA Ammunition rules:

4.1 Ammunition: All ammunition used in competition must be safe, serviceable and appropriate for the firearm being used.
4.1.1 Minimum cartridge for centerfire competitions (38 Special 9X19).
4.1.2 Rimfire firearms must be .22 Long Rifle (.22LR) only. No powderless cases.
4.1.3 No multiple-projectile or magnum loads allowed.
4.1.4 Any ammunition deemed unsafe or likely to damage the targets will be removed from use.

With that being said - if you as the MD feels that someones ammo is not safe you have the right (and should) stop that competitor from using that ammo.

btw - I have noticed that some steel has a tendency to have more bounce back.
At this past US Steel Nationals everyone seemed to be getting hit due to the new steel targets they had - the targets had a great ring - but did draw blood.
I've used GT Targets for years and there product/design seems to be very safe.

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who came out for the day to help the cause. We raised OVER ten thousand between the match and the raffle which ended July 29th. Two happy people went home with handguns and a bunch of other prizes were given away.

On Sunday at Operation Thank You held at the Red Hook Brewery in Portsmouth, once again the Meat House threw their famous HUGE BBQ. Justin Rosberg and his entire family was working their butts off to make sure everyone was having a great time and well fed. But the surprise was that his wife came up to me and told me what a great time she had along with her family shooting the stages. She's hooked and it was due to the people inn attendance. Her attitude about the shooting community has changed towards the positive.

See you next year..and thanks for the support.

Back
Top Bottom