6mm, Semi- Automatic Rifle in MA

Hello

Wanna build a 6mm match grade rifle in MA, being researching the laws on the site, but gets very confused, I have being calling some guns shops and they say I cant buy a lower receiver and make to a fixed mag legaly, have to come direct from factory, I know I should get a bolt action for PSR, but man a semi on 6mm would be sweet!

There are plenty of regular lowers for sale in the f/s section and build whatever caliber you want. You can buy a fixed mag, but I dont think you can make it yourself otherwise that would make you a manufacturer.

6 ARC ? If you dont know, and some dont, make sure you can get ammo for whatever caliber you think you might go with. I'd make sure I could get ammo and a barrel first, the rest will be easy peasy.

There are plenty of regular lowers for sale in the f/s section and build whatever caliber you want. You can buy a fixed mag, but I dont think you can make it yourself otherwise that would make you a manufacturer.

6 ARC ? If you dont know, and some dont, make sure you can get ammo for whatever caliber you think you might go with. I'd make sure I could get ammo and a barrel first, the rest will be easy peasy.
Thank you Kope, yes the regulations still a bit confused for me, just research some really barrels, wanna find a good matching set for lower and upper to build the rifle. Maybe can send to a good gunsmith in MA to make to rifle compliance? Any recommendations?

There were some 6mm PPC ARs around a few years ago. I don’t know anything about their accuracy, but for sure 6 PPC is the standard for 100 yard bench rest in bolt guns.

Dave

Thank you Kope, yes the regulations still a bit confused for me, just research some really barrels, wanna find a good matching set for lower and upper to build the rifle. Maybe can send to a good gunsmith in MA to make to rifle compliance? Any recommendations?
are you looking to build off a AR 15 or 308 reciever? A fixed mag for PRS , will that work out? Are there mag changes involved in PRS.

DM @EddieCoyle. He'll take care of you.

are you looking to build off a AR 15 or 308 reciever? A fixed mag for PRS , will that work out? Are there mag changes involved in PRS.
YEah that is one of my concerns, would like to have a fixed mag, that I could remove the "mag lock" when I would travel to another state for a competition,

YEah that is one of my concerns, would like to have a fixed mag, that I could remove the "mag lock" when I would travel to another state for a competition,
Sounds easier to find a mass "legal" set up and change the barrel/ bolt.? Why not just a bolt gun for PRS?

Sounds easier to find a mass "legal" set up and change the barrel/ bolt.? Why not just a bolt gun for PRS?
Yes, will be the way I'm gone go I think, looking into some Masterpiece Arms Rifles. Just sound nice to have a Semi_automatic match grade rifle

Yes, will be the way I'm gone go I think, looking into some Masterpiece Arms Rifles. Just sound nice to have a Semi_automatic match grade rifle

Well since your budget is that high, I’d suggest buying a different action instead of the Curtis Axiom. And stay away from the green cerakote from MPA. They were having problems with the finish being weak and might still be in the process of switching it. I have one of their chassis with the problematic finish.

Well since your budget is that high, I’d suggest buying a different action instead of the Curtis Axiom. And stay away from the green cerakote from MPA. They were having problems with the finish being weak and might still be in the process of switching it. I have one of their chassis with the problematic finish.
what you would recommend on around $2500 for the rifle, I want to have in 6.5 creed I guess.

what you would recommend on around $2500 for the rifle, I want to have in 6.5 creed I guess.
No idea how comfortable you’d be putting one together yourself. Should be within budget ordering the parts and any action. A little over budget if you have someone else build it. There are so many manufacturers for actions now. A few popular actions are Zermatt TL3, Impact 737 and Lone Peak Fuzion.

No idea how comfortable you’d be putting one together yourself. Should be within budget ordering the parts and any action. A little over budget if you have someone else build it. There are so many manufacturers for actions now. A few popular actions are Zermatt TL3, Impact 737 and Lone Peak Fuzion.
Never put one together, but will check them out, thank you.

Bring it up a half a millimetre and you'll find several more choices. A .260 Remington, 6.5 CM, 6.5 Grendel and others are fairly common, so components should be reasonably available.
6.5 bullets are the only size I found easy enough just a few weeks ago and a good deal on sierra and barnes.

Im just thinking for PRS , is semi auto even needed? seems like a bolt gun game? Maybe im not putting the right type of match with the right guns?
Anyhow how about a JP LRP?

Im just thinking for PRS , is semi auto even needed? seems like a bolt gun game? Maybe im not putting the right type of match with the right guns?
Anyhow how about a JP LRP?
Yes, the Semi is just more a desire to have a match grade rifle for the "Looks", I guess. definitely gone build a bolt action, does JP LRP are amazing just don't know if I can get one here in MA!?

Here's an interesting option: Bolt Action upper for AR-10 or -15 lowers from Uintah Precision. If you get one of those, the lower does not need to have a fixed mag since it's just a bolt action. The website offers common calibers like 308 and 6.5 Creed but also 6.0 Creed and 6.0 ARC. If you want anything else, call them: the lead time will be pretty much the same as the ones they stock. Apparently, the barrel shop(Match Grade Machine USA) they use is right next door.

Here's an interesting option: Bolt Action upper for AR-10 or -15 lowers from Uintah Precision. If you get one of those, the lower does not need to have a fixed mag since it's just a bolt action. The website offers common calibers like 308 and 6.5 Creed but also 6.0 Creed and 6.0 ARC. If you want anything else, call them: the lead time will be pretty much the same as the ones they stock. Apparently, the barrel shop(Match Grade Machine USA) they use is right next door.
I'm fairly certain that a bolt action would have no practical impact on the legality of the rifle.
(Obviously I'm putting the fact that fixed mags are not required Massachusetts aside for a moment.)

If we pretend mother Maura's edict is actual law, a bolt action likely wouldn't be a sufficient workaround. Among other things, the "magazine port" and "trigger assembly" would still be considered a "copycat" of an AR and subject to her proposed restrictions.

If she could charge you - she likely would. It might not hold up, but this is hypothetical anyways.

sorry to hijack the thread, but can you guys elaborate on the fixed mag and manufacturing? If an 80 is milled will the mag attached prior to milling is that still afoul of no FFL07?

Back to the fixed mags. There is nothing in Massachusetts statute that requires them.
The legislative branch makes laws - not the executive branch's enforcement officer (AG.) She enforces laws. She doesn't write them.

If Maura issued a press conference tomorrow and declared the new drinking age to be 30 instead of 21, do you think anyone would listen?

A few bars might panic and stop serving people in their 20s initially, but they'd quickly lose the bulk of their business.

An 80% is legal.
80%s arent my thing, but I know there is no law saying you need fixed magazines on a standard rifle. (An AR pistol is an exception unless you SBR it with a tax stamp.)

ETA: DO NOT SERIALIZE IT. https://www.northeastshooters.com/xen/threads/serialization-of-completed-lower.399592/

The FFL 07 is for if you plan to serialize/sell it. That thread elaborates on it quite well.

Last edited:
I'm fairly certain that a bolt action would have no practical impact on the legality of the rifle.
That is not correct. The AWB explicitly excludes all bolt-action rifles. Just because a lower is from an AR, it does not make it an AW or "a copy of Colt AR-15".

That is not correct. The AWB explicitly excludes all bolt-action rifles. Just because a lower is from an AR, it does not make it an AW or "a copy of Colt AR-15".
You're conflating 2 issues.
Yes. The actual assault weapons ban excludes bolt action rifles. It also allows detachable, unfixed, pre-ban magazines on semi automatic rifles.

Then you add a whole new element. The only time fixed magazines come into the conversation is if you're working on the false presumption that Healey's edict is law. Okay, fine. I'll play hypothetical, but it's all or nothing. You either falseley believe it's law - or you realize it isn't.

You're arguing that it's enforceable by saying fixed mags are required, but then you revert back to referencing the actual statute.... which allows detachable pre-ban magazines.

Healey's edict, which is not law, is the only time fixed mags are at issue (except for pistols).

That same edict, specifically gives Healey the right to declare some thing an assault weapon whenever and however she wants and she declares a copy cat weapon to include any of the following.

"The weapon has a receiver that includes or accepts key operating components that are interchangeable with those of a banned weapon. The relevant operating components may include, but are not limited to:

1) the trigger assembly;

2) the bolt carrier or bolt carrier group;

3) the charging handle;

4) the extractor or extractor assembly; or

5) the magazine port."

Would the fact that it's bolt action outweighs the above criteria? Maybe, but the bottom line is it isn't law. Entertaining it as such is just giving her power she doesn't have.

There is only ONE assault weapons ban. Bolt action rifles are excluded. ARs can have detachable pre-ban mags and one evil feature. That's it.

By even joking about "fixed mags" you're giving credence to something that doesn't deserve it.

my concern isn't AWB, I know the fixed mag lower is exempt. I WANT a fixed mag lower pistol for night coyote hunting. I need to know if an 80 with fixed mag is a no no without an FFL07. that's why i asked. (The mill is 2hours from me [4hour round trip] and honestly I don't have enough free time to make it out there, hence the 80 question)

my concern isn't AWB, I know the fixed mag lower is exempt. I WANT a fixed mag lower pistol for night coyote hunting. I need to know if an 80 with fixed mag is a no no without an FFL07. that's why i asked. (The mill is 2hours from me [4hour round trip] and honestly I don't have enough free time to make it out there, hence the 80 question)
If you're keeping it for you you should be all set. It's only if you serialize it and/or are finishing them to sell them that you need an FFL 07.

I will confirm this weekend and let you know if I'm wrong but I don't see why it would be any different than making your own glock or any other pistol.

If you're keeping it for you you should be all set. It's only if you serialize it and/or are finishing them to sell them that you need an FFL 07.

I will confirm this weekend and let you know if I'm wrong but I don't see why it would be any different than making your own glock or any other pistol.
that's why i was confused. i assumed if no intent to transfer then it would be fine.

Back
Top Bottom