Highly Recommended Book Before Training

Len-2A Training

Instructor
Instructor
NES Life Member
NES Member
I highly recommend this book, especially before taking any gun training.

It addresses "mindset" (to win in a battle for your life) as opposed to shooting techniques.

Short and easy reading, but if you don't have the proper mindset, all the training and tools in the world won't help you win if you ever are faced with imminent danger.

Check out this book on Amazon, read the excerpt, then order it and read it, you won't be sorry!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1581604041/ref=sr_11_1/104-0305517-1394377?_encoding=UTF8

Gabe is "the man" when it comes to stuff like this. His advice is pretty
straightforward and practical.

FWIW, he runs a webboard @ www.warriortalk.com .

I've found some useful, pratical info + discussions in there. You need to
register generally to get in.... and be forwarned though, that it is
relatively un-pc about a lot of things, but IMO that is the best attribute....
approaching WT with an open mind is best. If you're an NRA safety
instructor or something and then you read Gabe's sticky about real
world gun safety and then go off on a rant about how what he says
is dangerous and wrong, then you're in the wrong place. Gabe and
others on the board bring a lot of "reality checks" to the use of guns
in combat, defense, and other topics.

An amazon reviewer wrote that Gabe basically forces his opinions on others...
I disagree.... if anything hes pretty open to listening to others ideas, and how
they have applied things they learned in reality, etc. Gabe tends to talk
about "things that work" and avoid puffery, bs, etc.

-Mike

If you're an NRA safety
instructor or something and then you read Gabe's sticky about real
world gun safety and then go off on a rant about how what he says
is dangerous and wrong...

Sounds similar to a discussion we had here a while back.

Right and Right!

Gabe is unique and very controversial, but he's BTDT and walked away from it four times. He's definitely worth learning from.

NRA teaches target shooting and range safety. Gabe teaches survival skills and applicable safety to that sort of situation.

Saw this review and dug out my copy to re-read. A great book. Should be required reading for anyone who carries. Even if you disagree with his style and opinions there is enough extremely valid info to justify reading it. Also it is an easy read and bears going through more then once. IMHO.

I've got mine on order....

Another good book for the right 'mindset' is the short 44 page 'Principles of Personal Defense' by Jeff Cooper. Not a 'gun' book, but rather a quick discussion of what it takes mentally to win a fight for your life. I found that this little book works well for both people thinking about a gun, and for those who are just wanting to be able to defend themselves.

Of all the books in my 'library' this is the one that gets the most 'borrow' traffic. Probably because it is far less intimidating than the more advanced tomes.

Principles of Personal Defense

And of course, for all those that 'poo poo' the whole gun thing, I set the first Chapter of Massad Ayoob's 'The Truth About Self Protection' on them. For the few that have taken the time to read it, attitudes have changed remarkably.

The Truth About Self Protection

There's a big difference between shooting and gun fighting. Gabe teaches the latter. Well worth your time and money to take his classes

If you're an NRA safety instructor or something and then you read Gabe's sticky about real world gun safety and then go off on a rant about how what he says is dangerous and wrong, then you're in the wrong place. Gabe and others on the board bring a lot of "reality checks" to the use of guns in combat, defense, and other topics.
Hmm... you mean like the difference between those of us who carry in pocket holsters or SmartCarry/Thunderwear and what holsters IDPA/IPSC forces us to use because our holsters, even though we use them every day, are too "unsafe" for the range?

(actually, I think I'll start a new thread about this...)

I highly recommend this book, especially before taking any gun training.

It addresses "mindset" (to win in a battle for your life) as opposed to shooting techniques.

Short and easy reading, but if you don't have the proper mindset, all the training and tools in the world won't help you win if you ever are faced with imminent danger.

Check out this book on Amazon, read the excerpt, then order it and read it, you won't be sorry!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1581604041/ref=sr_11_1/104-0305517-1394377?_encoding=UTF8

Hey LenS (or any one else),

does this book cover much material not dealt with in Gabe's
Tactical Pistol Marksmanship: How to Improve Your Combat Shooting Skills
, and
Tactical Pistol: Advanced Gunfighting Concepts And Techniques

I have those two books and I have read and re-read them. I really like his "this is what works" approach.

The book is not expensive and I should probably get it anyway, but if it repeats a lot of the stuff in the books I have I may be better off buying M. Ayoob's book mentioned above or the "Armed Response" book from David Kenik.

Thanks,

Alexi

Reading it this week in advance of Jim Cs training on Saturday. I love this type of book.

I am only about 10% into it but I can already tell it is going to be good. I especially like his warnings that if your a panzie lib then stop reading, put the book down now, and go hug someone.

Alexi, I don't think he gets into much technique in this book it is all mind set. How you need to be thinking to win a "fight." It is applicable much beyond guns.

I thought I would recommend a book that I found online. It is the "Brass Knuckle Bible: A Manual of Concealed Weapons." It is written by Fred Rexer Jr. It is an excellent book for a newbie to concealed weapons. It goes over the many different types whether it be a handgun or blade of some sort. It goes over effectiveness and the various ways to carry said weapon. It was written in 1978 but the information is still valuable and applicable to the present.

This book has no real gun content

Amazon.com
Each hour, 75 women are raped in the United States, and every few seconds, a woman is beaten. Each day, 400 Americans suffer shooting injuries, and another 1,100 face criminals armed with guns. Author Gavin de Becker says victims of violent behavior usually feel a sense of fear before any threat or violence takes place. They may distrust the fear, or it may impel them to some action that saves their lives. A leading expert on predicting violent behavior, de Becker believes we can all learn to recognize these signals of the "universal code of violence," and use them as tools to help us survive. The book teaches how to identify the warning signals of a potential attacker and recommends strategies for dealing with the problem before it becomes life threatening. The case studies are gripping and suspenseful, and include tactics for dealing with similar situations.
People don't just "snap" and become violent, says de Becker, whose clients include federal government agencies, celebrities, police departments, and shelters for battered women. "There is a process as observable, and often as predictable, as water coming to a boil." Learning to predict violence is the cornerstone to preventing it. De Becker is a master of the psychology of violence, and his advice may save your life.

Amazon has paperbacks for about $10.00
This is a must read about listening to your fears and staying alive

Jim seems to have decided to follow so many text nook authors and leave the solution to the problem as an exercise for the (would-be) reader. For those not inclined to tackle such challenges, the book to which he refers is "The Gift of Fear". It's definitely worth reading. If you don't internalize the lessons of this book, all your guns and shooting skills are essentially worthless when it comes to keeping yourself and your family alive and safe.

Ken

My required reading list:
"On Killing"- Grossman
"On Combat"- Grossman
"Leadership and Training for the Fight"- Howe
"The Gift of Fear"- De Becker

Those books are great for armed professionals and citizens alike. Its great to be able to shoot paper, shooting people is a whole different business.

Ken
As usual yoiu are confusing me with, what I think must be highly technical terms.
Please define the term "text nook authors". I have guessed that it refers to books to be read at your breakfast nook. Am I right?

Jim seems to have decided to follow so many text nook authors and leave the solution to the problem as an exercise for the (would-be) reader. For those not inclined to tackle such challenges, the book to which he refers is "The Gift of Fear". It's definitely worth reading. If you don't internalize the lessons of this book, all your guns and shooting skills are essentially worthless when it comes to keeping yourself and your family alive and safe.

Ken

"The Gift Of Fear" is absolutely essential for everyone to read. Especially with regards to the techniques that criminals use to interview their victims. I had a guy try to hussle me once in maryland after reading it, and it was pretty clear to me that he was giving me "too much information" to be credible.

-Lenny

I'm old fashioned, I still prefer Jeff Cooper's mind set on certain things, which also includes a lot of USMC mentality up to Palma shooting (1000 yards). For self defense, Jeff tended to pay attention to a lot of issues coming from all around the world including what was going on in the US. 4 of his Gunsite Instructors were friends of mine (and those still alive). I was trained to shoot past 400 yards by a Vietnam era USMC Sniper. This works for all practical needs.

You miss a lot of the classics from John George, to even people that fought in Afghanistan, Spec ops works the best, like those folks that were in the Force recon Marines and seals of the Vietnam era, not to mention people like Carlos Hathcock. Most of the stuff I see these days is BS. I get good laughs at the weapons and tactical writers since the 80's. The gun rags are the worst. My first shot in anger was at 450 yards with an FN FAL. I carried a .45 auto on duty for a lot of years after seeing the failings of the 9mm and we went to the .45. I shoot like I was trained by people that knew how to place shots out to the effective range of their weapons. It works. Yes I've shot the .45 out to 200 yards just fine since all my .45s are tuned the old IPSC way (except duty weapons which had 4 lb triggers).

Back
Top Bottom