• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

A&J Sporting Goods - Housatonic, MA

Armalite SuperS.A.S.S.

I thought you might like to see an Armalite AR10-SuperS.A.S.S. with a Leupold tactical scope, etc. that A&J has in stock.

SuperSASS.jpg

I stopped at A&J last week - hadn't been there for a while. In my opinion they have the largest assortment of firearms in Massachusetts, including many you won't find anywhere else. I like small handguns, and noticed several Seecamps, 6 variations of the Sig P238, and even some Bond Arms receivers. I might pick up a Bond Arms receiver - the manufacturer sells barrels direct.

P.S. They now have approximately 1000 guns in their inventory. It's the widest assortment I've seen anywhere.

Last edited:
Pete and Joe are great guys, the store is small and full of some of the neatest guns (unique and clean) I have seen in a long time. They have an L.C. Smith 16 gauge side by side hanging on the wall that is spectacular, and if they don't have it they will get it!

Last edited:
I bought something there, it was well worth the trip from holyoke the guys were funny as hell and they had everything you could want, prices wern't bad either, but all the "teases" they have in the case on the left as soon as you walk in hurts....

Just picked up a sweet HK USP 9 . The price I paid was amazing and the prices I was quoted were very very good on some Glocks and S&W performance center guns. They just finished a huge expansion and have some great inventory. It was extreamely busy on the day I was there (Saturday) Pete was alone (Joe had a wedding) and definately overwhelmed. I just had him set the HK aside and came back on Tuesday night and completed a flawless transaction. Will be buying more from them soon!

Also of note they have a special case with LEO guns and special pricing and have many new NON- MA Compliant guns for out of staters.

I haven't been to A&J's in a couple months. After seeing your post, I was scratching my head on the shop getting bigger, they had no room a couple months ago, I had to go see for myself..... Amazing, they took over the adjacent space as well as theirs. Pete told me they have over 1500 guns in stock. Plenty of AR’s, there were 10-12 M1A’s on the shelf. They had guns you don’t see anywhere. They had a Ruger 1911 in the case and 5 more in boxes, there had more Governors, Bodyguards, LC9’s, SR22’s than you could imagine. I made the comment that it was like a jewelry store. Joe laughed, he sad that is exactly how we wanted the shop to appear, Joe said “a jewelry store of guns”. As I remember the prices are real fair. Everything is marked with retail prices, if you talk to them they will give you the buy price depending on how you plan to purchase, cash (is king), credit or trade. I have done each of these type of transactions with these guys and I was pleased with the result each time.

My visit ended up with some good and bad….

The good first I put a deposit on a Springfield M1A Loaded and a Governor and will pick up this Saturday on Tax free day…. I can’t wait until Saturday..

The bad is that in talking with the guys they told me they recently showed me a advertisement they placed in the Shoppers Guide, a local advertising publication, the add was very impressive and professional, they told me that the Shoppers Guide contacted them and told them they cannot advertise the gun shop any more. Robin at the Shoppers Guide told them that the paper is meant to be a family paper and guns don’t belong in it, they had a few complaints from the anti-gun people. It seems that the Shoppers Guide as been getting some negative feedback on this decision from people like us and other local business people. I plan on sending the Shoppers Guide an e-mail I urge any of the other readers to do the same. Their email is [email protected] please let our position be known, a few anti people are impacting us again. I probably should have started another conversation with this note, but me and computers don’t work well together. (I will try)

A&J Sporting Goods is a must visit for the gun enthusiast…

Many "hard to find" guns in stock!

I had not been to A&J for a while, so I stopped by a week ago. The store is greatly expanded, with LOTS of inventory. They even had Shields in 9mm and 40, Governors, Ruger 1911's, etc. - lots of very hard to find stuff. Even about a dozen Bond Arms receivers only (Bond sells barrels direct). My best guess is 1000 new guns - handgun display cases everywhere and the walls lined with long guns. Many Springfield rifles, AR's Bennelli's.

Last edited:
I had not been to A&J for a while, so I stopped by a week ago. The store is greatly expanded, with LOTS of inventory. They even had Shields in 9mm and 40, Governors, Ruger 1911's, etc. - lots of very hard to find stuff. Even about a dozen Bond Arms receivers only (Bond sells barrels direct). My best guess is 1000 new guns - handgun display cases everywhere and the walls lined with long guns. Many Springfield rifles, AR's Bennelli's.

Well after that post I had to get back up myself.
I was there about a month ago and didn't have much time. Today I spent over an hour with Pete's father . I cannot believe the guns they have. Some I don't even know what they are.
I looked at a few .22 revolvers and got some pricing. I will have to go back to look at the rifles & shotguns.

Nice layout boys!! keep up the good work.

I knew there was a gun store in Housatonic but not like this. The pictures look nice I am going to have to go check this place out!

Great shop, great people

I finally got down to A&J's in Housatonic (fine, call it "Great Barrington") and I will definitely return.

The gentlemen and ladies were most patient, as the shop had plenty of people willing to spend their paychecks there tonight. I greatly appreciate excellent customer service, and as I watched their interaction with the children (everyone in the store but me) I saw the respect and care that was taken with each customer. Panic buying/hysteria aside, people don't like to be rushed through a purchase, and no one was, for sure.

Quote of the evening: "Let me guess--you're here to buy an AR!"

If you can, bring cash or your checkbook, and tell them that's how you're paying when you ask the price, rather than paying the sticker price with your CC.

I was thanked repeatedly, and apologized to profusely (even though the wait really wasn't that long, considering). They bounced between talking with folks, showing folks firearms, handing out paperwork, collecting paperwork, running NICS checks, and collecting money--so each customer was actually at some stage of the process and had been waited on by up to four people. Their "system" worked and everyone there was calm.

This is the kind of place that you'd want to relax and chat for a long while while deciding on your purchases, once the dust settles a bit on all the hysteria.

Also, if you definitely know what you want and know they have it, I'd recommend asking for an appointment on a "closed" day instead of going during regular hours.

I grabbed a very, very fine G21.

Thanks to everyone at A&J. I'll be back...maybe for that beautiful Redhawk. [smile]

Last edited:
I finally got down to A&J's in Housatonic (fine, call it "Great Barrington") and I will definitely return.

The gentlemen and ladies were most patient, as the shop had plenty of people willing to spend their paychecks there tonight. I greatly appreciate excellent customer service, and as I watched their interaction with the children (everyone in the store but me) I saw the respect and care they took. Panic buying/hysteria aside, people don't like to be rushed through a purchase, and no one was, for sure.

Quote of the evening: "Let me guess--you're here to buy an AR!"

If you can, bring cash or your checkbook, and tell them that's how you're paying when you ask the price, rather than paying the sticker price with your CC.

I was thanked repeatedly, and apologized to profusely (even though the wait really wasn't that long, considering). They bounced between talking with folks, showing folks firearms, handing out paperwork, collecting paperwork, running NICS checks, and collecting money--so each customer was actually at some stage of the process and had been waited on by up to four people. Their "system" worked and everyone there was calm.

This is the kind of place that you'd want to relax and chat for a long while while deciding on your purchases, once the dust settles a bit on all the hysteria.

Also, if you definitely know what you want and know they have it, I'd recommend asking for an appointment on a "closed" day instead of going during regular hours.

I grabbed a very, very fine G21.

Thanks to everyone at A&J. I'll be back...maybe for that beautiful Redhawk. [smile]

Nice to hear this..

Thank's

According to their website. They're only open 3 days a week

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk

According to their website. They're only open 3 days a week

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk

Or by appointment. The gun shop is upstairs over their convenience/liquor store. Call or e-mail for an appointment.

In my opinion this store has the largest assortment of guns in MA. Lots of hard-to-find guns, and lots of ammo.

I stopped at A&J this evening to pick up a few items. I counted over 50 various AR's in 5.56 and 7.62 including several Troy carbines, Stag Model 3's, target models and a couple of Armalite Super-SASS 7.62's. Also a large amount of ammo and stacks of 5 and 10 round AR 5.56 mags. The place was extremely busy.

The store is without a doubt one of the nicest gun shops i have ever been in, it makes every other shop look like a run down dump. But the shop needs to be open more frequently [smile]

The store is without a doubt one of the nicest gun shops i have ever been in, it makes every other shop look like a run down dump. But the shop needs to be open more frequently [smile]

There's been some bitching here about the "Check Your Gun" sign at the door, and general customer service issues, but I'm OK with them.

Great Barrington Select Board delays adoption of gun resolution

During the meeting, Stanton and Bannon said they had a discussion with A&J Sporting Goods owner Joe Aberdale about the requirements already imposed on people seeking to buy a gun, which includes state and federal background checks and numerous other requirements.

Great Barrington Select Board delays adoption of gun resolution - Berkshire Eagle Online

and there will be some bitching for sure, the check your gun thing is just retarded. everyone has poor customer service every now and again, and they will learn their lesson and do better.

Finally got a chance to check them out this week. What a great place. Very friendly. Still had about 2 dozen AR's and well stocked with other long guns and hand guns. Seemed to have a good supply of ammo too. Only downside is their hours. Tue/Thu 5-8pm, Sat 9-12am and by appointment.
You can also email or call them about availability before making the trek from the east. I ordered some stuff over the phone and picked it up a week later. Easy.

Took the drive up there today, let me say its definitely worth it. They had about 15 ARs on the shelves, M1As, every type of handgun you could want. The shop is amazingly clean and neat, the nicest gun store ive been in presentation wise, along with plenty of room to move around. They had at least 8 glocks including gen3s, sigs, berettas you name it. Also some novelty things as well, I saw at least 2 Uzis and a H&K USC. The prices were all reasonable for what we are going through right now. Picked up some .22lr and 12g trap loads, take a trip up if you can.

Just a bit of fyi, all items on display are not all for sale to MA residents. Got my hopes up when I spotted a PX4...

A recent visit shows firearms pricing more in line with the high end of gunbr0ker auction prices. And ammo, although somewhat plentiful, has also been bumped up in price. If you've got money to burn, they're certainly worth a visit, as they do have product on hand. And yes, those Troy Defense ARs are still quite available. My enthusiasm for visiting this shop has certainly waned, due to their recent pricing strategy. Although not much of a bargain prior, now that's not even part of the equation.

Sat hours are 9-2 Went up last weekend, Both the wife and I like the shop and the service very much. As far as prices they are pricing stuff for what they have to replace it for I would guess. Just being able to walk into a shop with some stock is nice. (we both came home with used guns and the prices where decent)

I live close by and have tried to do buisness with them several time but it never worked out they rip you off my brother was gonna buy a shield from them but they where $100 more than BG in Westfield I wanted to get a ar from them but they wouldn't give prices over the phone what a joke a gun shop that won't give you there price over the phone. That's so you can't call around and see that they are ripping you off stay away from these fools

Took the bike out for a ride today, and stopped by after breakfast. Plenty of MA-compliant S&W, Ruger, and SIGs on hand. I picked up a SIG, at a nice price. And NO ammo shortage going there. Plenty of .22LR. Prices? In line with what nearby shops are charging, but a lot more product on hand. When my handgun collection is complete, I'll help move some of their bolt guns off the shelves. Great day for a ride, too!

Got out for another ride, and stopped in for some ammo. My stop was brief, so I did not do a lot of shopping. But with a variety .22LR ammo on the shelves, I did not leave empty handed. I don't know if the shop's been rearranged, but it looked like they had the entire catalog of S&W revolvers on hand.

Back
Top Bottom