A&J Sporting Goods - Housatonic, MA

robmcd

Instructor
I stopped at A&J Sporting Goods in Housatonic, MA (southern Berkshire County) and was pleasantly surprised to see over 300 guns, lots of ammo, supplies, etc. They are a S&W Showcase Dealer and stock pretty much the full line including AR's, plus had lots of Remington, Marlin, Ruger, Thompson Center, etc. They even had .50 BMG rifles. Very nice people.

They're only open Tuesday and Thursday evenings from 5:00 PM - 8:00 PM, Saturday from 9:00 AM - 2:00 PM or by appointment. Tel. 413-274-5008, e-mail [email protected]. The address is 10 Depot Street, upstairs in the Aberdale building which is across from the Post Office and near the Fire Station. Their new web site is under construction.

Here's a photo of their "black rifle" rack.

UPDATE: A&J now has over 750 new guns in stock, and LOTS of ammo, reloading supplies, etc. They are now a SIGnificant dealer, Benelli stocking dealer, and I counted over 40 AR's in various calibers.

Attachments

• P1020780 RevA.jpg
    P1020780 RevA.jpg
    228.8 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:
South Berkshires Gun Shop

Great to have such a well stocked dealer in Southern Berkshires.
Looks like I'll have a weekly stop, as there is also coffee downstairs too!
If you like Lever Action rifles, check out the Henry Repeating Arms Rifle wall [rolleyes]
Keep up the good work!
KenK ~!~

A&J Sporting Goods - Housatonic, MA.

Stopped buy A&J Sporting Goods - Housatonic, MA. Here is a photo of a few customers on Thursday night. I had to wait in line, but they stayed open to take care of everyone.
Gee customers still do count nowadays!
Glad to see people are out there using the 2nd ammendment!!!

Attachments

• A J s.jpg
    A J s.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 135
A&J Sporting Goods - Housatonic, MA.

I'm in South County and wasn't even aware of the place. Damn!

Hello there;
I am just off rt 7 north of Canaan, Ct.
Do yourself a favor and stop in to A J's. There is coffee downstairs & Guns upstairs!
The place actually has been there for quite some time, but now they have just opened upstairs for guns & ammo only.
Even have a new web site so you can see the inside photos:
http://www.ajsportinggoods.com/
I keep telling them to go for an indoor pistol range!!! I would sure use it!!![smile]
Very customer friendly..Anyway just my opinion. check it out & let me know what you think?

Hello there;
I am just off rt 7 north of Canaan, Ct.
Do yourself a favor and stop in to A J's. There is coffee downstairs & Guns upstairs!
The place actually has been there for quite some time, but now they have just opened upstairs for guns & ammo only.
Even have a new web site so you can see the inside photos:
I keep telling them to go for an indoor pistol range!!! I would sure use it!!![smile]
Very customer friendly..Anyway just my opinion. check it out & let me know what you think?

I'm off Rte 8, 9 mi north of the CT border. I'll definitely be checking it out. I'd have stopped in today while in Great Barrington today had I only known. I even had my JPFO "Life Preserver" t-shirt on!

Thompson Pre-ban Drum Magazines!

A&J Sportings Goods has been an FFL Dealer for over 40 years. The new store is a major expansion of an old business.

They have discovered some old inventory, including MA legal, pre-ban 50-round and 100-round Thompson drum magazines! I'll bet they're pretty rare. Call them before they're all sold.

I stopped in today. Small, but well stocked, with a dozen ARs on the rack ... Colt, Bushmaster and S&W. Other interesting EBR's too, as well as some very scary 50-cal items, including a couple of Armalites. Apparently the Dad used to sell guns from the little variety store downstairs or something? For decades. So the kid decided to open a gun shop ... I didn't get the whole story, but seem like nice folks. Apparently this shop just opened in March.

I saw an SKS on the rack that caught my eye ... just taken in as a purchase and he didn't know much about it ... Romanian he thought. But it says "Zastava" on the side. Yugo? I peered through the barrel with my penlight. Looked chrome lined to me. The guy thought so, too. But maybe it's just an unfired rifle? I though Yugos were unchromed.

Still, its a pretty rifle. Still in cosmoline. No price on it yet. He called it "pre-ban" because it has a bayonet on it. Hmm. I couldn't identify the muzzle device on it. Neither could the guy. No vents. Looks like a fake compensator, actually.

I wish I hung out in gun stores with milsurp collectors so I'd learn something, instead of having to come home to the magic of Google to find out if I let an opportunity pass me by. [sad2]

Anyway, he thought he'd be listing it at something over $600, which I thought was very high.

Apparently, all their prices are MSRP, and then you can talk about it and settle on a sale price. Interesting.

I bought a box of 20 ga shells (Wolf 7.62x39 was $10.99 a box ... ouch) and will stop in again.

Yee-Haw! I need to get down there!

That SKS, by the way, looks like an unissued Yugo 59/66 with grenade launcher. I emailed the shop to tell them what it was that they had unmarked on the shelf.

I bought a similar rifle Sunday at the Big E, but not nearly as nice.

Surprising the number of gun sellers who really don't know milsurp stuff. Wish I knew more.

That SKS, by the way, looks like an unissued Yugo 59/66 with grenade launcher. I emailed the shop to tell them what it was that they had unmarked on the shelf.

I bought a similar rifle Sunday at the Big E, but not nearly as nice.

Surprising the number of gun sellers who really don't know milsurp stuff. Wish I knew more.

The SKS M59/66 rifle that you saw at A&J was manufactured about 40 years ago for the Yugoslavian military by the Zastava State Arsenal. It has a mint bore, matching numbers, all the options, and was most likely never issued. Nice gun!

Updated 6-3-09: I stopped in again this evening (by appointment). Many new firearms just added: Several AK's, more AR's, GSG-5's, lots of defensive shotguns, Springfield M1A's, several 50BMG rifles, Hi-Point 9mm carbines, etc. If you haven't stopped in, you owe it to yourself to make the trip. Lots of ammo in stock also.

Last edited:
My weekly visit to A & J Sporting!!

Well just came home from A & J's in Housatonic.
The walls are now full, so Joe has started up over the ceiling with more inventory.
Soon they will have a source for CAS & other style leather holsters for my VAQUEROS!!!
Oh yes the soft serve cones are now available dwonstairs too!!![wink]

Well just came home from A & J's in Housatonic.
The walls are now full, so Joe has started up over the ceiling with more inventory.
Soon they will have a source for CAS & other style leather holsters for my VAQUEROS!!!
Oh yes the soft serve cones are now available dwonstairs too!!![wink]

I stopped in yesterday with my son. They're lining the floors now, too. On the floor were 8 or so (I forget) WASR-10s for $650 each. That Yugo SKS is marked $660. It's sure pretty, but I'm happy with the scruffier one I got from Guns and Gun Parts at the Big E show for $295.

Still a dozen or so ARs in a variety of flavors. Some GSG5s. They need to knock out a wall and add some milsurp stuff.

A&J Sporting Goods

An amazing find in Western Massachusetts, it is worth a trip. A&J Sporting Goods at 10 Depot in Housatonic, MA is a nice little shop with ALOT of guns. They are on ever wall and hanging from the rafters. Tons of AR's 15, 30 & 50's. They are just a gun shop with pleanty of ammo and reloading supplies. I was even able to find powder and tons of primers there. (I know where all the primers ended up). The shop is run by two friends who are doing this as a hobby. They are there 5-8pm Tuesday and Thursday and Saturdays from 9am to 5 pm. While I was there a customer couldn't get back during the next week due to his work shift, they made an appointment to meet him when it would fit his schedule... Real cool. They started a web site www.ajsportinggoods.com. They even have law enforcment guns and guns for sale out of state.. These guys have guns I have not seen in other stores for a long time...

I bought a S&W AR stripped lower from A&J today. They had several in stock, including 5.56 and 7.62. I also noticed lots of .38 spcl. and 45 ACP ammo, 1000 round cases of .223, 5.56, etc.

I bought a S&W AR stripped lower from A&J today. They had several in stock, including 5.56 and 7.62. I also noticed lots of .38 spcl. and 45 ACP ammo, 1000 round cases of .223, 5.56, etc.

Hmmm .... did you happen to note availability and price of 7.62x39?

I took your advice and went to A&J. What a great place. Alot of guns and ammo, alot more than most shops. I fell in love with the Tommy gun and the 45 ACP H&K..... I know what I am saving for now... While I was there I purchased a GSG 5, I can't believe how many they had. Thanks for the tip.... I had to join this forum so I could thank you and let readers know this little shop is a goldmine of guns... The guys there are real fun to talk to. They even have a few stools that were filled with story telling veteran shooters & hunters....

I took your advice and went to A&J. What a great place. Alot of guns and ammo, alot more than most shops. I fell in love with the Tommy gun and the 45 ACP H&K..... I know what I am saving for now... While I was there I purchased a GSG 5, I can't believe how many they had. Thanks for the tip.... I had to join this forum so I could thank you and let readers know this little shop is a goldmine of guns... The guys there are real fun to talk to. They even have a few stools that were filled with story telling veteran shooters & hunters....

Yeah, I gotta drop in for "storytime" some night myself. I've been in there a couple of times and saw the stools filling up.

Welcome to NES and, do come back often! [wink]

Are you in this photo? A J 's Tuesday night!!!

Hi;
Are you in this photo? A J 's Tuesday night!!!

I was there from 7-8:30. They even kept the store open past closing time. Then of course downstairs for a soft serve Cone!!! Got out of there about 9pm.
Looks like my Stoeger Coach Gun will be in by Sat.

Attachments

• media1.jpeg
    media1.jpeg
    42.4 KB · Views: 64
Darn, I missed the picture. No I am not in the picture, I left around 7:00. Did the Stoeger Coach Guns come in? This is on my list to get. It sounds like you are into the Cowboy Action... This is on my to-do list but the better half keeps crossing it off. The shop was crowded when I was there too, I was eyeing a S&W 627 8 shot performance center 357 then it was gone.... I hope they get more of these, they are hard to find..

A&J Sporting Goods...the STOEGERS are in!!! ...SASS

Darn, I missed the picture. No I am not in the picture, I left around 7:00. Did the Stoeger Coach Guns come in? This is on my list to get. It sounds like you are into the Cowboy Action... This is on my to-do list but the better half keeps crossing it off. The shop was crowded when I was there too, I was eyeing a S&W 627 8 shot performance center 357 then it was gone.... I hope they get more of these, they are hard to find..
I got there about 7 pm. Sure good to see so maney people are getting into guns or are adding to their collection.

Well I got a call Friday that my Stoeger 20ga coach gun was in. I wasn't able to pick it up till late Sat.
I never expected the Stoeger to be as well made as they are.
Stock and gun are excellent. I got the 20 GA blued model.
Looks like they are going to go fast ,as someone was looking to buy mine when I got there!!
I did not realize that there so many SASS Cowboy Action shooters in Berkshire county. Let me know if you need any info on the Cowboy stuff. My whole summer has been on researching what is needed and where the SASS guys are.
I missed a match in Granby Ct. yesterday.

Need Primers?

I took this photo of the primer shelves at A&J Sporting Goods with my cell phone tonight. They actually have even more than shown here! I may have to start reloading again.

AJPrimers.jpg

A & J Sporting Goods

Has anyone been in to see A&J Sporting Goods in Housatonic MA

stopped in to see the place on Saturday
the place was PACKED with ammo and guns---all kinds
50 cal. bolt action---AR-15's --mini 14---everytype of shotgun you
could think of. Remington, Savage bolt actions (3) showcases of pistols and revolvers.
S&W, Ruger---scopes, targets,-------
i asked for 7.62x25 tokarev ammo (i've been looking for this for 6+ months)
the owner said "got (6) boxes--how many do you want?"

very friendly people

A & J Sporting Goods
10 Depot Street
PO Box 511
HoUSAtonic, MA 01236
Phone/Fax (413) 274-5008
E-Mail: [email protected]

Stopped in today. Still see that Yugo SKS that's been sitting there since May, marked for $660. Someone ought to help this guy out on pricing.

Yugo SKS

Guys, thanks for the tip. I have been looking for this exact gun for my collection. I have been in this store a couple times and didn't see this gun. Peter & Joe the guys behind the counter (I am pretty sure thats thier names) they tell you and now there are signs up that the "prices on the tags are just list prices" and there is a note to "see us", so I did see them. I left A&J's with this gun Tuesday night, 6 boxes of ammo, a set of dies, a bag of once shot brass they had (probably close to 200 casings) and a hard case for $499 that is including sales tax. I feel I got a great deal...[grin]

Last edited:
There doesn't seem to be a primer shortage at A&J. I bought 10,000 CCI small pistol primers there on Saturday at $ 34./1000. Another guy that I know just picked up 20,000.

Back
Top Bottom