• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

650 problem

gerrycaruso

NES Member
I read the manual and called Dillon twice. I still have the problem. When the shellplate indexes, it goes almost all the way but not quite. Dillon said to adjust the index block but that didn't help. Even with it adjusted all the way forward, the shellplate still doesn't go quite all the way. I tried pushing the indexing ring with my finger but the shellplate still won't go all the way. I asked the tech if the index pawl could be worn and he said no. Anyone ever had this problem? Any thoughts?

I had this problem and I adjusted the shell eject spring (held on by the shell plate main bolt) by loosening the bolt just a bit. This allows it to index smoother and not get bound up.

I tried loosening the bolt and it didn't help at all. After three calls to Dillon I guess I finally got someone who might know what he's doing. He's sending me a new pawl and spring. I hope this works because the next step is to send them the machine.

Did you get the new pawl yet and try it? Let us know how you get it resolved please.

If the black vertical steel rod that is used with station 1 to control how far forward a shell is advanced into the shellplate is not adjusted correctly then the index plate may not fully index. So if it's adjusted such that the sidewall of the shell in station 1 is actually contacting the shellplate then it's essentially locking/binding the shellplate. The shellplate won't be able to spring to it's correct location. Not saying this is your problem but it could be.

Certainly the over tight shellplate shoulder screw, or dirt under the shellplate is a common issue, but it sounds like you have already checked those.

Yes. I got the new pawl and it didn't help. I cleaned under the shell plate and tried a different shell plate. I loosened the bolt that holds the shell plate. So far nothing has helped.

You're right. There isn't much left to check and I don't want to pack up the machine and send it to Dillon. Changing the indexing ring is a pain but I have a couple and will try that as a last resort.

I once wasn't paying attention and the spent primers had accumulated such that the hole they drop thru was plugged up. Consequently the indexing ring motion and the cycling of the machine was inhibited by the the piling up at the hole of the spent primers. So if you haven't already, make sure there is no issue there.

Was there anything that precipitated this? Like it felt jammed and you forced it? Or anything else?

Check the black plastic index ring (nomad photo above) with a flashlight for any cracks or anything inhibiting its motion or the extension spring wrapped / attached to it.

Another resource is the "Dillon Precision Owners" Facebook group. Not a fan of FB normally, but this group has a lot of activity. Link:

I live close to you and can offer some assistance if you'd like, I've had a 650 since about 2 months after they came out
and now have the newer version of the 650 before the change to the 750.

Sometimes another set of eyes help, PM me and we'll talk.

The indexing ring had a crack that wasn't visible until I tried to clean it. I changed the ring and the problem seems to be gone. Putting that spring on sure is a pain.
This is always the problem. Small piece puts the whole operation at standstill.

15 minutes into getting my new Lee Pro 6 pack a couple months ago I broke the plastic clutch that indexes. Ordered a few spare since it seems to be the weak link. Maybe I’ll get a 3D printer someday.

On my 650 setting the shell plate backlash is critical for complete and consistent station advancement. Make sure the shellplate rotates with minimal drag . Powder particles can get in between the shell plate and the turret base causing sticky operation. Love the 650 !

Back
Top Bottom