• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

$650 garands from cmp with new barrel and wood and a possible extra $200 off!

mac1911

NES Member
cmp rack grade specials
Not a bad deal , basically a “rack grade “ refinished receiver. (Think cmp offered these for $300 few years ago)
With new barrel and wood.
Thats a decent deal for a garand with new barrel and stock?
These will sell fast
Great way to get into as issued matches
M1 Garand - Civilian Marksmanship Program

UPDATE: My credit card is offering a $200 cash back after spending $500 deal right now
Through a referral program I can make a few bucks also....PM for link to credit card referral deal.

Last edited:
Damn, my FG would’ve been more properly rated a rack grade with its crap barrel, receiver pits, and other crap parts. If it wasn’t only a receiver donor I would have sent it back. This new deal would have been way better! Even if I wanted to swap in the Kreiger barrel I could have sold the new Criterion. Oh well...

cmp rack grade specials
Not a bad deal , basically a “rack grade “ refinished receiver. (Think cmp offered these for $300 few years ago)
With new barrel and wood.
Thats a decent deal for a garand with new barrel and stock?
These will sell fast
Great way to get into as issued matches
M1 Garand - Civilian Marksmanship Program
Ok ok.....it's time for me to get one of these.

I just read through the website and am a little confused. Says cmp membership is required but then it states membership in vfw type congressionally charted orgs counts......then says military retirees or national guard membership counts?

I have a retired army ID card.......would I be able to order by sending them a copy of my retired ID?

Ok ok.....it's time for me to get one of these.

I just read through the website and am a little confused. Says cmp membership is required but then it states membership in vfw type congressionally charted orgs counts......then says military retirees or national guard membership counts?

I have a retired army ID card.......would I be able to order by sending them a copy of my retired ID?
I believe so , a copy of documentation they are looking for speeds up the process

That's a good deal! It's a shame the CMP doesn't sell the cheap M2 ball ammo in bandoliers anymore though. I bought five or six cans when they were
cheap, but then sold my CMP Garand and ammo as well, when I bought an M1A.

That's a good deal! It's a shame the CMP doesn't sell the cheap M2 ball ammo in bandoliers anymore though. I bought five or six cans when they were
cheap, but then sold my CMP Garand and ammo as well, when I bought an M1A.
Yes not a bad deal for a very good shooter.
Criterion barrel $180
Minelli 3pc stock set $160
Cost to refinish a receiver? Call it $80?
Then add the $75-100 for barrel install and chamber finish ....your at $400+ on top of your already owned or needed to get receiver and internals...
I built my 30-06 mac1 special with mew barrel and stock, all the tools needed off a $575 service grade... could have bought 2 of these

M11.jpg
Christmas came early. Two weeks just like Mac said. The receiver is a Springfield with a serial # in the 4200000 range. The receiver is unpitted above the woodline. The gas system is very rough.

View attachment 306187
Christmas came early. Two weeks just like Mac said. The receiver is a Springfield with a serial # in the 4200000 range. The receiver is unpitted above the woodline. The gas system is very rough.

Looks like that's a win! (As in victory, not Winchester lol). You can always hit the gas system parts with the appropriate flat black if you want. Stock looks like really nice wood. Probably will really stand out with a proper finish. CMP gives it a quick shot of spray stain, which can be greatly improved with a little elbow grease.

Looking forward to the range report...

View attachment 306187
[rockon][party] Just in time for a weekend range report.
Clean it , lube it make sure the gas lock is tight and sling up!

Looks like they’re offering Winnie’s now for $7.

God damnit my house can’t sell fast enough. I’ll be putting in an order for one as soon as it does...then i’ll cull the stock of my others by one or two pieces I don’t shoot as much.

...maybe

Range Report
I had some time this morning to put a few rounds down range with my $650 Garand. M1 10-6-19.jpg
The rifle functioned perfect, the shooter is far from perfect. The brass came out clean with no dents or scratches. Only 10 rounds but this was a quick functional test of a almost 70 year old rifle.

So what is the consensus? Good buy? I'm thinking of putting paperwork in this week.
I think it depends on what your looking for.
Go look around for a M1 with a new barrel and stock for $650
These are a good solid way to get into shooting a M1 in matches and mot worry about much of any collector value.
If yoy just want a garand to have a garand a field grade will have that been there done that look.

you want something a bit nicer but GI parts except the stock go with a service grade.

I think it depends on what your looking for.
Go look around for a M1 with a new barrel and stock for $650
These are a good solid way to get into shooting a M1 in matches and mot worry about much of any collector value.
If yoy just want a garand to have a garand a field grade will have that been there done that look.

you want something a bit nicer but GI parts except the stock go with a service grade.
Not looking for historic value (matching numbers etc) just want something to shoot. I'll be honest, it'll probably get stripped, and all the steel will get cerekoted, but it's gonna get shot.....

Back
Top Bottom