.223/5.56 Max-Trim-Length

What are you all using as a max trim length for .223/5.56 brass. 1.76 seems to be a consensus, but I was wondering if anyone here deviates from that.

how many of you trim before resizing? I've found that my cheesy lyman trimmer will open the neck up if i resize before trimming 223 brass. so i did some experimenting and found if i trim them to 1.745 they will strech to 1.750 after sizing.

I deprime/resize then trim.

Trimming takes the most time, but keeps you from compressing the shoulder if it is too long. This is where a go/nogo gauge is worthwhile.

Also my max is 1.760 trim to 1.745-1.750 as well

how many of you trim before resizing? I've found that my cheesy lyman trimmer will open the neck up if i resize before trimming 223 brass. so i did some experimenting and found if i trim them to 1.745 they will strech to 1.750 after sizing.

As you've noticed, full length resizing will stretch the case. I usually trim brass after the first firing and after full length resizing. For subsequent resizing I use an "X" resizing die, which prevents the brass from "growing" too much after that.

Back
Top Bottom