• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

625 .45 ACP "Pin Hammers"

I just looked at the Sierra app for my phone and noticed they have a section for 45 ACP revolvers. The loads are actually listing higher velocities that what they have for 45 ACP +P

That’s a nice little gem to have.

DA120040-3ADC-40E4-948A-39BC43EA6603.png CB642BBF-D131-4436-999E-679E1A413B31.png

So searching and reading and all that, sat down and loaded some test rounds using powder that I have.
24 each of Bullseye, Unique and W231.
Theres data out there for Titegroup, that stuff burns to hot, always left my barrels almost hot to the touch.

Also filled the dud cutaway up to see what max or near max loads would weigh out at, and by maxed I mean compressed.
No idea what the cutout piece of casewall would displace. Dumped it on the scale and got-

Unique-5.7
Bullseye- 6.6
W231- 8.2

Cases are mixed headstamp. Mostly winchester and federal.
Winch. Lg pistol primer
C.o.a.l varies at 1.263-1.265
Dies are propri

4.0 Bullseye
5.1 Unique
5.0 231

5 overall wouldn’t drop all the way in the cylinder.
1 Agulia ( usually toss those, must’ve missed it
1 Winchester (odd)
1 R&P
1 S&B
5th one I couldn’t read. Might have been an S&B
You can see the bulges in the sidewalls, its a lot of lead to stuff in an a.c.p. case.
Its also why men shouldn’t wear skinny jeans.

Dropped a round on the floor, went to pick it up, whacked my forehead on the 550.
This house has gone Zero days without a head injury.

I’ll take 12 of each up tomorrow to see whats what. Recoil and smoke will determine where I go from there, then I’ll order an inexpensive chrono To get me in the ballpark of where I want to be. 1CFB1AD6-F18F-4DF3-B86D-8E8D65B655BE.jpeg

Well, still have 10 fingers and 2 eyeballs
Zero leading. Bonus!

Brought 12 of each. Shoot 5, measure the 6th then shoot that.

Unique ran like Unique runs.
Little smokey. Cases aren't horribly filthy. Might produce less soot under a bigger charge. Had really good luck with it in .44 spl back when I owned one.
Both #6 loads grew out a bit to 1.271. Kinda figured it would.

Win 231- Stout. Definetly knew you were shooting Fatty Boombalatti's.
Out of all 3 loads, this one seemed to land consistent at the berm (100 yd). Had a closer point of impact than the other 2.
Casings are surprisingly clean, Must have a decent burn.
#6 grew out to 1.273 and 1.275. Although it never got off the front driving band, so theres that at least.

Bullseye- Surprisingly softer than the other 2. Easier recoil, little smoke compared to 231 and Unique.
Oddly enough, both #6 rounds had setback to 1.259. Might be a fluke? Battering?
Casings are the dirtiest out of the 3, but going up in charge will probably solve that.

Brought some 230's I had loaded up (win 231) previously just to compare one to the other. It was like shooting a 9mm.

Well, still have 10 fingers and 2 eyeballs
Zero leading. Bonus!

Brought 12 of each. Shoot 5, measure the 6th then shoot that.

Unique ran like Unique runs.
Little smokey. Cases aren't horribly filthy. Might produce less soot under a bigger charge. Had really good luck with it in .44 spl back when I owned one.
Both #6 loads grew out a bit to 1.271. Kinda figured it would.

Win 231- Stout. Definetly knew you were shooting Fatty Boombalatti's.
Out of all 3 loads, this one seemed to land consistent at the berm (100 yd). Had a closer point of impact than the other 2.
Casings are surprisingly clean, Must have a decent burn.
#6 grew out to 1.273 and 1.275. Although it never got off the front driving band, so theres that at least.

Bullseye- Surprisingly softer than the other 2. Easier recoil, little smoke compared to 231 and Unique.
Oddly enough, both #6 rounds had setback to 1.259. Might be a fluke? Battering?
Casings are the dirtiest out of the 3, but going up in charge will probably solve that.

Brought some 230's I had loaded up (win 231) previously just to compare one to the other. It was like shooting a 9mm.

If you have any universal give that a try. Imagine unique being modern and clean burning.

Chrono came in Monday, so had today off and took it out to see whats what.
I should have grabbed a tripod from work, had to settle for one of those blue barrels to set it on.
Little windy, blew it over twice, which is why I'm missing 6 shots on one string, but I didn't want to be that guy that interrupted everyone else.
Pretty slick, this bluetooth stuff. App links right to the phone, puts up all kinds of data.
If I were loading for precision rifle,like 4/5/6/800 yard shots, I definitely would have saved up and bought something higher end, but I need minutes-of-stop-plate @ 105 ft at the most.

Hard pass on Unique. Great for .44, not so much for what I'm doin.
Toss up between Win231 and Bullseye.

Attachments

• export.pdf
    30.7 KB · Views: 13
Back
Top Bottom