600 yard rounds

I will most definitely be re-loading for high power but still want to get out and shoot as many matches as i can up until that point that i can develop a solid round.

Can anyone recommend a solid factory round in the 75gr+?

I heard Hornandy was making 75gr steel cased ammo that was pretty decent and cheap.

Thanks

Black Hills re-manufactured 69 grain SMK is probably the best deal out there if you don't reload yourself. I got my expert card shooting it across the course. (Yes, including 600.) Black Hills also loads a 77 grain SMK but it's a little more expensive and probably not really necessary.

http://www.black-hills.com/remanufactured_rifle.php

if you're handloading.

any brass
Rem 7.5 / wolf SRM / wolf SR.223 / CCI 450 / any other *hard cup* primer
24.1gr of Reloder 15
77gr SMK

if you drop any 9's, it'll likely be your fault.

if you wanna go all out, my go-to 600yd load is:
Lapua Match .223 brass
25.0gr Reloder 15 (do not exceed 25.0gr)
80gr SMK, loaded at least .005" off the lands (they're VERY tolerant of jump, .005" is a start, i used .010", and load em 1 length all season *i dont chase the lands*) DONT JAM THEM INTO THE RIFLING!
Rem 7 1/2 SR benchrest primer ( wolf SRM / SR .223 give extremely load SD's as well )

that load is a HAMMER. 2750+FPS out of my 20" service rifle barrel, 2900FPS out of my 26" match upper.

*edit

do some reading on NationalMatch.us
there's really no "load development" that needs to be done for highpower. people have shot literally billions of rounds out of these guns, and the go-to's ALWAYS shoot well. the 10ring is 2MOA, so the "ideal" load would shoot 1MOA. you dont need a 1/4MOA rifle / handload to shoot good scores. your time is going to be better spent putting rounds downrange and working on building good, solid, repeatable positions.

Last edited:
Black Hills re-manufactured 69 grain SMK is probably the best deal out there if you don't reload yourself. I got my expert card shooting it across the course. (Yes, including 600.) Black Hills also loads a 77 grain SMK but it's a little more expensive and probably not really necessary.

http://www.black-hills.com/remanufactured_rifle.php

You don't want to be shooting 69gr at 600 on a day with switching wind. Yeah it can be done but if you want to compete 75's, 77's, or 80's is the way to go.

Until you handload, give Cabelas up in Scarborough a call and see what they have in stock. I've seen Black Hills 77's there before and, believe it or not, a Remington factory match load with 77's.

Like Jeff said, you don't need to do a whole lot of load development when you handload for Highpower. "The load" has already been done. I read about a load somewhere and tried it. It shoots under MOA, so I stopped there and started loading piles of it. Similar to Jeff's, but maybe not quite as toasty.

For your any brass load, does that include 5.56 brass? got a bunch of once fired LC bras i plan to load.

i use LC exclusively for 200 and 300 yards. 600yds is either Winchester (local / league matches) or Lapua (state/regional champs, nationals, etc)

i should reiterate, using LC brass @ 600 wont hurt your scores. plenty of people do it, i just wanted to start with fresh never-fired brass for my long range stuff.

Last edited:
For your any brass load, does that include 5.56 brass? got a bunch of once fired LC bras i plan to load.

Dump 24.5 grain of Varget or Reloder 15 into that LC brass and top it off with a Hornady 75. Make lots of it. Shoot lots of it.

Got me to Master.......

You don't want to be shooting 69gr at 600 on a day with switching wind. Yeah it can be done but if you want to compete 75's, 77's, or 80's is the way to go.

Agreed. I'll be shooting 80 grain SMKs at 600 this year. But if the OP doesn't reload and 69s are the only thing on the shelf they will work safely. (Not ideal, but serviceable.)

Loaded up some hornady 75 BTHP with 24 gr of R-15. Not much space left in the case.

Yep, compressed loads are fine unless you see pressure signs or muzzle velocity is much higher than expected.

In my HP AR, 24.7 gr of RL15 in a Lake City case crunched a bit but was very safe and accurate.

What kind of velocity are you getting?

Yep, compressed loads are fine unless you see pressure signs or muzzle velocity is much higher than expected.

In my HP AR, 24.7 gr of RL15 in a Lake City case crunched a bit but was very safe and accurate.

What kind of velocity are you getting?

Not sure yet. After talking with the guys at Reading last weekend who have the same upper i decided to load a batch of WCC cases, 7.5 primers, 24 gr R-15. Don't have my upper yet but when i get it i will site in the rifle and check velocity.

Not sure yet. After talking with the guys at Reading last weekend who have the same upper i decided to load a batch of WCC cases, 7.5 primers, 24 gr R-15. Don't have my upper yet but when i get it i will site in the rifle and check velocity.
I would have no fears with that load.

when i was running hornady 75s last year, i was using 24.2 of reloder 15, and averaged 2720fps out of my WOA

this year, i'm running sierra 77's for the shortlines, using 24.0 of reloder 15, and averaged 2750fps (same rifle, new barrel). @ 2500rnds, i chrono'd again for the hell of it, and they were still cooking along @ 2710-2720ish. they shoot REAL well in the wind, and if I do my part, make nice little bug holes @ 300yards.

I use 24.5 of RE15 for everything. 77's and 80's and I have a bunch of Privi Partisan 75's that I won and it works well with them too. I think I'm going to locktite my powder measure adjustment.
I don't have a chrono, but they are moving.

My standard R-15 load is 24.3 gr with 80s & 69s and 24 gr. with 77s & 75s. Rem 7 1/2 in a LC or Winchester case.

B

Back
Top Bottom