60 Minutes segment on SEALs

decent segment. they skipped the part about his dog being shot

amazing guy. great book.

not so excited about the movie, wish Marky mark wasn't in it. looks like it was filmed in Pennsylvania. will probably see it anyway [grin]

decent segment. they skipped the part about his dog being shot

amazing guy. great book.

not so excited about the movie, wish Marky mark wasn't in it. looks like it was filmed in Pennsylvania. will probably see it anyway [grin]

Yeah, Walberg isn't a great fit for Luttrell. They are not remotely similar physically and he just doesn't fit the part.

I was lucky enough to tag along with my buddy tonite to Hingham to see this movie. it was a special showing. Mark was there and so was Luttrell. they both spoke briefly before the premier to about 250 of us. Also got to meet Mickey Ward. I thought the movie was pretty incredible. But I have been waiting to see it for awhile and was over excited maybe. i dont mind Whalberg in the movie. I know there is no comparison in real life to the two guys. he neve rbothered me in movies. But Luttrell also had a small roll in it.Was filmed in new Mexico I saw, not Pa [smile] I have never read the book(yet) So I am not sure how much of the movie was "hollywooded" up. But I think you guys will enjoy it. I left there pretty damn somber and realized I have zero to complain about with what these guys went thru. There were also some military personal there and they got a standing ovation before the movie. So I guess you guys gotta wait til Jan 10...i was lucky tonite

for anybody considering going to see mark wahlbergs new movie making money off of dead navy seals and guns...

The ex-leader of the Funky Bunch, Marky Mark had some pretty strong words for Charlton Heston. At the 2000 MTV Movie Awards, Wahlberg suggested on stage that the “Best Villain” award be given to Heston: “I believe Charlton Heston is America’s best villain because he loves guns so much. Maybe he should get the award for being president of the National Rifle Association.” But his anti-gun attitude didn’t stop there. “Well, I would love it if they could take all the guns away. Unfortunately, you can’t do that so you hope that good people in the world have them to protect the people who can’t protect themselves,” he said in an April 26, 2007, edition of the Herald Sun. “Certainly, I haven’t used a gun anywhere other than on a movie set and I’d like to see if we could take them all away. It would be a beautiful thing.”

Read more: http://www.gunsandammo.com/2012/02/24/8-surprising-anti-gun-celebrities/#ixzz2mwh4IAKX

for anybody considering going to see mark wahlbergs new movie making money off of dead navy seals and guns...

The ex-leader of the Funky Bunch, Marky Mark had some pretty strong words for Charlton Heston. At the 2000 MTV Movie Awards, Wahlberg suggested on stage that the “Best Villain” award be given to Heston: “I believe Charlton Heston is America’s best villain because he loves guns so much. Maybe he should get the award for being president of the National Rifle Association.” But his anti-gun attitude didn’t stop there. “Well, I would love it if they could take all the guns away. Unfortunately, you can’t do that so you hope that good people in the world have them to protect the people who can’t protect themselves,” he said in an April 26, 2007, edition of the Herald Sun. “Certainly, I haven’t used a gun anywhere other than on a movie set and I’d like to see if we could take them all away. It would be a beautiful thing.”

60 minutes episode was a hard hitting piece.
If a part of the money from this movie ends up in Luttrell's hands or goes towards any of the charities he supports I'd go see it even if douchebag marky mark gets a cut.

I wish actors would stick to acting instead of trying to do what writers do: "think".

Wahlberg is a DB, but Peter Berg (yes, another Hollyweird liberal) seems like pretty good dude and more than likely made this project as lucrative as possible for both Lutrell and his organization. It sounds like the budget was tight. I hope to go see it.

From http://mobile.nytimes.com/2013/08/18/magazine/can-peter-berg-redeem-himself-after-battleship.html

"I’m a patriot,” he said. “I admire our military, their character, code of honor, belief systems. I lived with the SEALs, their families, went to their funerals. I went to Iraq. Did you ever see anyone killed? I did.”

Last edited:
another thumbs up for the book. I hope the movie is just as good. From what I understand, it's been under development for a long time and Lutrell was very involved from the beginning.

F that movie. Walberg hates guns but will make a movie glorifying them. Whatever. I fully expect this to be a bunch of pc bullshit where there are plenty of good afghans that are not Taliban supporters. Yeah right. Anything that Hollywood touches turns into pc garbage. Anything to subtly undermine America is their agenda.

dont see the movie then. save your ten bucks. I go for the enjoyment. not for some actors political/personal beliefs.( we wouldnt be able to see any movies with 90% of hollywoods thoughts) the movie showed our military guys for the heros they are. What those four guys went thru was insane. If all afghans are Taliban supporters then Luttrell would not be alive today. He is still friends with the villager who saved him. Luttrell was in the movie and supported it. So if it portrayed a different story I doubt he would have been happy with the outcome.

I'll see it when it's free. I have great difficulty supporting Hollywood. And going is supporting. Im not advocating a boycott, it's what I choose to do.

I thought this thread was about the 60 Minutes interview with Marcus Luttrell?
http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/topics/60-minutes/
2 part interview

I read the book which is pretty powerful. I can't stand Anderson Cooper so it made me a little uncomfortable to hear Marcus calling him sir.
It is a pretty good interview giving insight to the brutal firefight and the man Luttrell.
I can only imagine how difficult it's been for him...Powerful stuff...

Read the book. Was well worth the time, not to mention the money going to Luttrell, who is as real an American warrior as they come.

My take away from that 60 Minutes interview is that Luttrell has some serious survivor guilt... at one point he calls himself a coward because, as he puts it, he reached his breaking point and dropped his rifle in the middle of a firefight. He couldn't stand to hear his dying friend (the LT) calling out to him while Luttrell couldn't get to him. This was after seeing his other team mates killed or injured, as well as being injured himself.

Read the book. Was well worth the time, not to mention the money going to Luttrell, who is as real an American warrior as they come.

My take away from that 60 Minutes interview is that Luttrell has some serious survivor guilt... at one point he calls himself a coward because, as he puts it, he reached his breaking point and dropped his rifle in the middle of a firefight. He couldn't stand to hear his dying friend (the LT) calling out to him while Luttrell couldn't get to him. This was after seeing his other team mates killed or injured, as well as being injured himself.

The way he answered the questions and told the story made me think he's done it dozens of times to different counselors and therapists...Hopefully if that can help with what he lives with.....

Back
Top Bottom