6 Dead, Dying, and Soon-To-Be-Obsolete Handgun Cartridges. Agree?

I think there's still a niche in .25 pocket pistols that, while it mostly belongs to another era, I don't see any real practical replacement for. Every time I pick up a .25 I'm amazed again at how dang tiny the things are.

Also, damn good thing they left .455 off the list, it'll outlive us all.

As a .45 GAP owner I'm not sure it ever lived.

For the record, I bought mine during high COVID and then bought 3,000 rounds of 45GAP cheap to train with since I had let my 9mm reserves get down to a few thousand. No regrets, it served its purpose but it's a lame round.

There will always be a nostalgia market for .25 Auto and .32 ACP....just because there are so many guns out there that use them.
europe, south america...all the countries that don't allow civillians to own guns chambered in military calibers or large caliber arms. and there are tons of those places left on the planet.
they've been trying to kill the .41 mag forever...and you guys haven't had much luck on killing the .40s&w. still wildly popular around the country. the .45gap is really the only cartridge that will be extinct in my life time. i've never even seen a pistol chambered for it since i was first cognizant of it's existence much less even seen a box of ammo for it being sold anywhere. maybe i didn't look hard enough.

What about 45 long Colt?
There can't be that many Governors or Judge's out there?

The list seems to be about cartridges that turned out to be a flop from the start, or turned out to be somewhat useless. 45 Colt doesn't fit into that category. On top of it being an effective and significantly well--regarded cartridge in it's prime, its seen a pretty decent resurgence in its popularity due to cowboy-action competitions. With modern powders in modern handguns it can surpass the 44 magnum in some ways, while being more pleasant to shoot, making it a decent choice for a handgun hunting cartridge or a general woods gun.

I've never even seen most of those in person.

With the extremely small 9mm's coming out, the 'smallness' of the .25 pistols is becoming irrelevant in the 'actual' market. .25's were great back when there was no option with a 'real' cartridge behind it.

There are a ton of them floating around though, and collectors will buy rounds for them.

I'd say sure except .40sw, still lots of LE using it and there are too many guns out there for it to die off. It also is still preferred amongst ghetto goblins, mexican carry with an sd40ve gets you more street cred.

Back
Top Bottom