6.5x55 swedish mauser

I recently was given a 6.5x55 swedish mauser by a friend. I dont know anything about them but would like to learn a little more. Are there any websites that help with stampings or serial numbers so I can find out more about them? I was also considering putting a new barrel on the mauser action and dont know if its worth doing or even where I could find a barrel. any help is much appreciated.

check out the Swede Mauser forum on gunboards.com

There are a lot of Swede mauser experts there....just do NOT mention ANY intention of sportsterizing the gun, or you'll get flamed bad...

The Swede mauser is my favorite rifle, most accurate of everything ( The Swiss K31 gives it a good run for the money though).

I have several with Elit and Soderin diopter sites ....steps it up to a whole new level of accuracy, and great help for these old eyes...

Why a new barrel - typically The Swedes kept excellent care of their weapons....

New Barrels ( original Swede barrels) are hard to find...you MIGHT find a NOS M38 barrel on eBay or Gunbroker or the Gunboards marketplace...

What model do you have...M96...M96/38....M38...???

Im not sure what model it is. It seems it has the original barrel but the stock is redone. it is almost a carbine length. I'll try to post some pics.

Here is a site you can check: http://dutchman.rebooty.com/

I'd shoot it before thinking about adding a new barrel.

Doh! A few minutes late, Juergen beat me to it.

One note about Swede Mauser types: Typically the sights start high (300 yards) so you wind up aiming about a foot low if you are shooting at 100 yards. You can get taller blade sights that are easy to install. I added one on an M96 I have but still need to take some time and file a little off to get it at the perfect height.
Just keep the original front sight in case you ever want to return the rifle to collectable status.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the information so far. I would have posted pics but the Warden took the camera with her today. The rifles reciever has the crown with an ornate "C" (almost Old English style) under it. It then says: Carl Gustafs Stads. then; Gervarseaktori (there are a couple of tapped holes so I think that the right spelling). next; Interarmco G 33/50.
The serial number is prefixed with HK which I believe is the inspector and all the componets are marked with the crown and the last 3 (703) of the serial number except the floor plate which has 995 stampted under the crown (poofy crown with cross on top). The stock appears to be a cut down carbine stock with out the medallion on the stock and you can see where the repair was made to fill in where the belt sling went through the stock. I didnt see any picturs that match up with my front sight (ramp topped with a bead sight on a dove tail) that looks original

sorry these are only camera phone pics. I think it might be a model 94 carbine. Note the bolt is slightly swept back and the front sight is differnt than I have seen. Thanks for any help

Attachments

• 6.5x55 3.jpg
    6.5x55 3.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 6.5x55 2.jpg
    6.5x55 2.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 6.5x55 1.jpg
    6.5x55 1.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 14
Hard to tell exactly what it is but its definitely been sporterized. I'd have a gunsmith check it before attempting to shoot it. No telling what type of round its chambered for if its been reworked.

Also looks like a prime candidate for a scope mount.

it was drilled and tapped and had a scope when I got it. I removed the mount to look at the stampings. It also has holes drilled on the side of the reciever, maybe for a diopter type sight???

When I got it my friend was sure it was a 6.5x55 as his father use to use it for deer hunting. It was already taken to the range and shot well

What is the length of the barrel ?

The drilling and tapping for scope pretty much destroyed it's value , even it it is a 94.

Parts such as nosecap and original stock for 94's can run into some $$$.

.Also, what markings are on the barrel...

Where are the side mount drill holes...towards the very rear of the receiver ?

I agree....shoot it first before thinking about barrel change,,,,,,,I don't ever recall hearing of a Swede with a bad barrel.....

the barrel is 17 inches. The only marking on the barrel is its 5 digit serial number. The side holes are at the rear right side of the reciever between the bolt handle and the cut down for the ejection of rounds. on the barrel there looks to be three holes that were filled (the fill looks factory) there is 1 hole the 1 1/4 inches later the barrel steps up then there are 2 more filled holes about an inch apart
What is the length of the barrel ?

The drilling and tapping for scope pretty much destroyed it's value , even it it is a 94.

Parts such as nosecap and original stock for 94's can run into some $$$.

.Also, what markings are on the barrel...

Where are the side mount drill holes...towards the very rear of the receiver ?

I agree....shoot it first before thinking about barrel change,,,,,,,I don't ever recall hearing of a Swede with a bad barrel.....

I just took the stock off and discoverd some barrel markings that were covered up. stamped CE, then there are 3 crown stamps 1 w/ a cross on top then 2 slightly crooked with out the cross withe the letter G stamped under it

I'm Swedish, I've heard great things about the 6.5 x 55 cartridge, and someday would like to own a Mauser. I'd prefer a shooter over a safe queen.

What model should I look for, where should I look, and how much should I expect to pay? BTW, I have a C&R FFL.

I'm Swedish, I've heard great things about the 6.5 x 55 cartridge, and someday would like to own a Mauser. I'd prefer a shooter over a safe queen.

What model should I look for, where should I look, and how much should I expect to pay? BTW, I have a C&R FFL.

If you weren't in MA I'd say send your C&R to Samco Global Arms and get one. They have some of the best rifles.
They don't honor MA resident C&R licenses though but you can have it sent to an 01FFL.

Back
Top Bottom