• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

6.5 Manbun shooters: Hornady 143gr ELD-X vs Hornady 140gr ELD Match

Adding ELDX delivers.

We got a bunch of deer using6143grain 6.5cm ELDX. My buddy using factory ammo and me using reloads.

All my groups are using ELDX.

ELDM are great bullets, but not great for hunting. BACKFIRE TV has a video explaining why match bullets are not great for hunting.
i think it`s overthinking it. here is a bit more info:

Honestly, I prefer nosler partition or accubond bullets in every caliber I shoot. But there has been such a severe drought. Hornady’s remained available, so that’s what I have had to work with. And according to hornadys manual that 143 grain ELD-X has a G1 B.C. of 0.623. Which is better than a lot of the match offerings. So having an effective hunting bullet that is slipperier than most match pills is an all around win. I do have my preferences, but I’ll run with what I can actually get.

@paul73
This year, my hunting buddy’s 11 year old son smashed a cow elk with a 143 ELD-X at 185 yards. He anchored it right there. After all the work cleaning and quartering her, the 3 other guys there were more than impressed with the expansion and terminal performance of that specific projectile.
Eld-x is no joke my 300 win mag planted a bison on the spot dead in under a minute

Honestly, I prefer nosler bullets in every caliber I shoot. But there has been such a severe drought. Hornady’s remained available, so that’s what I have had to work with. And according to hornadys manual that 143 grain ELD-X has a G1 B.C. of 0.623. Which is better than a lot of the match offerings. So having an effective hunting bullet that is slipperier than most match pills is an all around win. I do have my preferences, but I’ll run with what I can actually get.
i am solidly hooked on SPS now as they constantly sell nosler blems, and in most cases those blems are as good as new ones.
140 rdf blems i got are perfect. some of 175 rdf blems some have slightly wider noses, but nothing to affect the ability to fly up to 300.
should have ordered more of 140gr rdf when they were in stock, but, they will show up again, and i do not shoot them that much.
at that price i can use them.
1703100621013.png

Last edited:
Adding ELDX delivers.

We got a bunch of deer using6143grain 6.5cm ELDX. My buddy using factory ammo and me using reloads.

All my groups are using ELDX.

ELDM are great bullets, but not great for hunting. BACKFIRE TV has a video explaining why match bullets are not great for hunting.

Depends on the bullet.

Ultimate reloader has a better and more in depth video specifically for 6.5 143 eldx vs 140 eldm.

View: https://youtube.com/watch?v=Xm8wAXkVaxU&pp=ygUQSHVudGluZyB2cyBtYXRjaA%3D%3D

Spoiler alert: They were actually much closer in terminal performance to each other than most match vs hunting bullet comparisons. For most people/game, Hornady’s 6.5 CM X vs M options could be used interchangeably.

Last edited:

One is designed to expand, the other isn't.

FMJ can be used for self defense, but we all prefer HP.

Both will kill.

Also, as mentioned above, it depends on the bullet.

One is designed to expand, the other isn't.

FMJ can be used for self defense, but we all prefer HP.

Both will kill.

Also, as mentioned above, it depends on the bullet.

Yeah, 100% bullet dependent. 77gr TMK does an amazing job for hunting, despite being a match bullet. But 68gr TMK blows apart much too fast and doesn’t have anything significant left for penetration. I’m quite curious about 73gr ELD-M, but I’m not optimistic it will perform anywhere as well terminally as 140gr ELD-M.

Back
Top Bottom