6.5 Grendel Build ??

Not the land of the free but the home of the brave
I am considering a 6.5 Grendel build and have a couple of questions. I've searched the web and have read some conflicting info.
I can't say whats true or the best because this is new to me. I know people have a financial stake in their positions so not sure where the truth lies.
Do you have a preference between Type 1 and Type 2? And Type 2 isn't a Grendel at all but some other wildcat? Also will a 7.62x39 AR bolt be correct for Type 1 or does it need a mod to work?
One guy was saying accuracy is great with bullets under 110 gr. Go over that and it's poor. I was hoping to shoot 140 gr bullets.
What mags? Can AR mags be made to work so I'm not limited to 10 rounds?
If you have any other other suggestions you can think of please let me know.

Last edited:
Your getting conflicting info cuz the Grendel has turned into a shit show [laugh], I know what your going thru!

There are two bolts, type 1 and type 2 and the difference between them is the recess in the bolt face, if I remember correctly it's .125 and .136 respectively...or is it the other way around? I don't remember. Which one you use depends on what chamber you have. Again if memory serves one bolt is for the Grendel and the other is for the .264LBC and they are not interchangeable due to headspace issues. When I was researching this I found a lot of strong opinions on which was best, this one sucks, etc. In the end I decided to use a SAMMI chamber which is the 6.5 Grendel.

Lemme see if I remember:
6.5 Grendel is the second version which is SAMMI spec.
6.5 Grendel 2 which is the original version with a compound throat
.264LBC has a tighter neck dimension and a little shorter headspace dimension.
6.5 CSS, don't know anything about this other than it exists..LOL

This cartridge has become a bit of a cluster with different chambering's 6.5 Grendel, Grendel 2, 264LBC, and a few other variations that I can't remember but only the 6.5 Grendel chamber is SAAMI recognized AFAIK. As for magazines you can forget about getting 30 rounds in a 30 round AR mag, maybe if you change the follower but I haven't tried that, I just stick to the ten rounders. Do some more research, that's what I did.......Please do not take what I write here as gospel as it's been some time since I've had my head into this cartridge

So, I have two builds in this caliber the 1/9 twist barrel shoots everything under 120gr real good and it really, really likes the 107gr SMKs, on a calm day with the gun sand bagged and taking my time I have put five rounds on the paper that is about the size of a quarter at 100 yards. My other build is a 1/8 and the heaviest bullet I have shot in it is the Hornandy 129gr SST with OK results but nothing to brag about for sure. I have 140s on the bench but haven't loaded any yet for the Grendel.

As for building your own my only advice would be to get a matched barrel/bolt combo so you avoid the whole type 1 type 2 bolt thing, other than that it's just like any other AR.

Oh and there are two books out there, the "6.5 Grendel reloading handbook" Volumes 1 and 2. If your going down this road I recommend you get them. Besides reloading data they have a lot of good info on the Grendel and it's cousins.

Last edited:
Your getting conflicting info cuz the Grendel has turned into a shit show [laugh], I know what your going thru!

Ain't that the truth.
Thanks for getting the ball rolling. You have given me more to think about. I am going to have to do a lot more research for sure.
I look forward to others thoughts and experience with this.

I built a 6.5 Grendel with a 24" Lilja fluted barrel that I absolutely love.
652c509035f6112378e67662c7672fd3.jpg

I was going to do a second build but scrapped the idea. I have a brand new, custom Black Hole Weaponry barrel, with matched bolt, that I'd let go for $375 if anyone's interested. It took almost 3 months to arrive. Here's the details.
7def06c8039b501e4613b6378ff3ce5c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
One down side to the Grendel appears to be cracked bolts, another NESr who competes, I think it was Jasons maybe, said he has seen Grendel's at matches where the bolts have cracked at the lugs. Those guys fire a lot of rounds though. It doesn't sound like a huge issue especially of your only putting a few hundred rounds thru the gun every year.

Last edited:

I was going to do a second build but scrapped the idea. I have a brand new, custom Black Hole Weaponry barrel, with matched bolt, that I'd let go for $375 if anyone's interested. It took almost 3 months to arrive. Here's the details.

That's purdy!! I have a 1/8 20" BHW barrel, haven't shot it much but seems like a good product.

7def06c8039b501e4613b6378ff3ce5c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What weight bullet are you using and what powder?

What weight bullet are you using and what powder?
When I built it, I bought a shit ton of Hornady 123gr A-Max. I'm still running through it. I'm still collecting brass. I haven't worked a load up yet.

Back
Top Bottom