6.5 Grendel build help

Hey guys I have decided to build a 6.5 Grendel but need help finding what I want. I am looking for a 12" melonited barrel and bolt set. I will either do the build myself or buy a complete upper. Any help would be awesome

i've seen some nice deals on grendel parts from palmetto but i looked when i saw your post and nothing at this time.

If you're serious about this and willing to pay, you can get a custom barrel and bolt from Satern for $448. They will custom cut to the length you want, and if you want to pay more you can add additional options. I can attest to the quality of their barrels, top notch and worth every penny.

I havent seen any 6.5 barrels in that length, not saying they don't exist, just never seen one. There are at least 4 different chamber variations and two bolt types for the 6.5 and they're not all interchangeable so try to get a bolt/barrel combo. There is a lot....and i mean a lot of debate on which chamber is best so do your research. For my latest 6.5 build I went with a JP 1/8 with SAAMI chamber.

If you don't reload you may want to consider it becuse i have not seen 6.5 Grendel ammo on shelves around here, even online it can be hard to find.

I was over at 6.5 Grendel forum and was considering a group buy on a 12.5" barrel as well as everything else needed but backed out due to talking with Mark from Precision Firearms. His opinion is the 6.5 is better with at least a 16" barrel. Also he can build me a custom upper for just a couple hundred more than the group buy. I am told it can be a finicky round so I figured why not let them handle it for the extra 200.00 It will come with a Bartlein Cut Rifled Barrel instead of a buttoned

PF has some really nice uppers, How long would the wait be?

I didn't ask. I didn't want to push him cause I wont be to the range till June at this point.

- - - Updated - - -

Yea, i haven't found that to be the case. I had some issues with my first build with regards to cycling but a few magazines thru the gun smoothed everything out.

Others have said the same thing. run some rounds thru and break it in

I am thinking that I will need a heavy or extra heavy buffer for a 16" Precision Firearm upper. Any opinions? I emailed Mark to ask him also but just curious what everyone thinks

Yeah but does the 6.5 with a mid length need a heavy buffer or just a regular buffer?

IDK if there is a "heavy" rifle buffer. Now if you go with a stock that uses a carbine length buffer and spring like the ACE entry stock and if it were me, I would just start with a standard buffer and see how she runs. My guns are 18"/mid gas and 22"/rifle gas so I don't have any experience using a carbine buffer and spring on gun in this caliber. I think the pressure range for the 6.5 is right around where the 5.56 is.

IDK if there is a "heavy" rifle buffer. Now if you go with a stock that uses a carbine length buffer and spring like the ACE entry stock and if it were me, I would just start with a standard buffer and see how she runs. My guns are 18"/mid gas and 22"/rifle gas so I don't have any experience using a carbine buffer and spring on gun in this caliber. I think the pressure range for the 6.5 is right around where the 5.56 is.

Cool thanks for the help

Back
Top Bottom