6.5 Creedmoor scope, recommendations?

Tomorrow finally am getting a cash injection, most of which goes to other things but I think out of my gun stuff one larger $$ item I really do need and would enjoy is a scope to finish off my creedmoor bench AR.

Basically a 22 inch barrel, will have a permanent bipod, weight is a non issue.
Is for 200+ yards and have easy access to 350 with another very private land range also available to me that goes up to around 1000 yards (outside of my capabilities but am saying I can drive 45 minutes and have 500 yards literally to myself whenever the weather permits).

Sooo the scope budget.. prefer to keep under $1500 but could go up to $2000 or would be happy if it was < $1000, but most importantly I want something good. Don't want to be fighting with this scope or putting the rifle aside to upgrade.

First idea, a ballpark, Nightforce SHV 5-20x 56mm with an illuminated MOAR reticle.

Thanks in advance!

Vortex razor HD gen II (gen III if you can find one in your budget)

Thanks - looks like the gen III only comes up to 10x, so although it might be sweet isn't quite enough. More what you might put on a high end carbine to get the best of both worlds as its a 1-10x.

I’ve got a brand new Vortex Razor Gen II 4.5x27 56mm that I’d sell. I got it to put on my 6.5CM build but just haven’t gotten around to finishing it yet. $1800 If you’re interested

EBR-7C MRAD reticle

Last edited:
*Kahles
*US Optics
*Nightforce
*Vortex
*Leica

If it was my money, I'd save up until I could afford a Kahles K525i or Leica PRS 5-30x56i. I own a couple Kahles LPVOs and the best way I can describe the optical quality is "reality in high definition." Leica is supposed to have even better glass quality than Kahles/Swarovski (Swaro owns Kahles) and I really want to try a Leica.

I’ve got a brand new Vortex Razor Gen II 4.5x27 56mm that I’d sell. I got it to put on my 6.5CM build but just haven’t gotten around to finishing it yet. $1800 If you’re interested

EBR-7C MRAD reticle

Thanks for the offer, I definitely need to see why Vortex versus Nightforce then decide if I really need/want 27x versus 20x. But looking online I can buy that scope shipped to my door for around $1850, so might make sense to get it directly if I go that route. I bet Vortex has us covered either way though.

*Kahles
*US Optics
*Nightforce
*Vortex
*Leica

If it was my money, I'd save up until I could afford a Kahles K525i or Leica PRS 5-30x56i. I own a couple Kahles LPVOs and the best way I can describe the optical quality is "reality in high definition." Leica is supposed to have even better glass quality than Kahles/Swarovski (Swaro owns Kahles) and I really want to try a Leica.

Both blow my budget by a good margin but the Leica may be more attainable, less of a margin over as its at least < $3000. But may be awhile before I am quite willing to go there.

Thanks for the offer, I definitely need to see why Vortex versus Nightforce then decide if I really need/want 27x versus 20x. But looking online I can buy that scope shipped to my door for around $1850, so might make sense to get it directly if I go that route. I bet Vortex has us covered either way though.

Both blow my budget by a good margin but the Leica may be more attainable, less of a margin over as its at least < $3000. But may be awhile before I am quite willing to go there.

Regardless of what you buy, try to look through a variety of scopes before buying one. Ideally, get some trigger time as well.

Let me put it this way: when I bought my first Kahles, I bought it here in RI from a local gun store that's the local Swarovski dealer. I asked to also see a Trijicon and a Vortex. I didn't hesitate to buy the Kahles once I compared the three.

Euro Optic is in PA and they normally allow customers to come and check out scopes in person. If you're considering $1000-3000 scopes, a couple tanks of gas isn't a bad investment.

At 500 yards 20x vs 27x will both do the job very well. Likely at 1000 too. Cant go wrong with either choice as long as it fits your needs

I have a Zeiss Conquest V6 on my 6.5CM

I also own glass by Vortex (Razor Gen II 1-6x24) and Trijicon (AccuPoint 1-6x24) and all are great. No issues with glass quality with any of them. I got each for different reasons — the Trijicon for the fiber optic/tritium, the Vortex because it’s the gold standard of LPVO, and the Zeiss because it wasn’t illuminated.

If I were to replace the Zeiss, it would be for a Nightforce only because that is the SOCOM DMR optic and I’ll fan-boy clone my bolt gun.

Let’s us know what you get!

what features are most important that will help narrow your list down.
Ffp vs sfp
Are you going to be dialing a lot?

I personally would buy a razor gen II over the shv line from nightforce. The razor gonna be a better scope. There is a reason why they are the # 1 scope run by prs shooters by a long shot.

For just under 2k the razor gives you a lotta scope. Above that Mark you start paying a lot of money for microscopic improvements.

Another scope to check out is the Athlon Cronus btr gen ii. It’s getting great reviews and being compared to the razor for around 15-1600.

what features are most important that will help narrow your list down.
Ffp vs sfp
Are you going to be dialing a lot?

I personally would buy a razor gen II over the shv line from nightforce. The razor gonna be a better scope. There is a reason why they are the # 1 scope run by prs shooters by a long shot.

For just under 2k the razor gives you a lotta scope. Above that Mark you start paying a lot of money for microscopic improvements.

Another scope to check out is the Athlon Cronus btr gen ii. It’s getting great reviews and being compared to the razor for around 15-1600.
Cronus before the razor. But, vortex has really super awesome customer service.

If you can get Leupold VIP pricing, then take a look at the Mk5HD or Mk6 with a Tremor 3 reticle. The illuminated ones would still be out of your budget, but you could get an unilluminated one. I’d personally go for the 3/3.6-18x, but the Mk5HD has more magnification options if you’d like.

Vortex Razor Gen II and Leupold Mk5HD are probably the best value. Diminishing returns kick in hard after that price point.

I'd pass on the Nightforce SHV since MIL is a lot more commonly used now unless you like MOA.

Tomorrow finally am getting a cash injection, most of which goes to other things but I think out of my gun stuff one larger $$ item I really do need and would enjoy is a scope to finish off my creedmoor bench AR.

Basically a 22 inch barrel, will have a permanent bipod, weight is a non issue.
Is for 200+ yards and have easy access to 350 with another very private land range also available to me that goes up to around 1000 yards (outside of my capabilities but am saying I can drive 45 minutes and have 500 yards literally to myself whenever the weather permits).

Sooo the scope budget.. prefer to keep under $1500 but could go up to $2000 or would be happy if it was < $1000, but most importantly I want something good. Don't want to be fighting with this scope or putting the rifle aside to upgrade.

First idea, a ballpark, Nightforce SHV 5-20x 56mm with an illuminated MOAR reticle.

Thanks in advance!
comes down to what your going to do.
Are you trying to hit a MOA X ring or or a 3 moa plate ?
What do you need to see?
Few years ago i got to spend some time behind a fixed MagX March scope on a bench gun.
That thing was crazy....small 1/16 moa dot
You basically put the dot in the center of your bullet hole!
Problem being is that little aiming dot was a bear to see!
i only have 2 "expensive" scopes
Sightron SIII 8x32x56 with the MOA 2 ret. The aiming dot in the middle of the + is .25 moa on 24x i really like the ret.

Other scope is a Vx serries leupold 4x16 side focus with tbe windplex ret. Very basic scope but crisp and clear.

Things i wish i had now.
Zero stop turrets especially for elevation ,
Target turrets
Front focal plan
i like simple reticles like tge Sightron MOA2
So many scopes are to busy for my likes/needs.

i tried losts of scopes before buying these 2.
Tbe vortex where ok , i dont like the reticles they appear gray to me. Not sharp crisp black.
I dont like electronics in my scopes. Juzt more shit to fail.
Maybe on a 10x scope i had set up to hit the larget steel plate type shooting.

Thanks for all the info guys! Got a bunch of stuff to research now.

As far as the question on FFP versus SFP, honestly not sure I care generally but might make a difference given some specific scope and magnification. Like if an SFP goes up to 27x it is going to force me to dial at say 500 yards because I am not going to want to run it at 27x so close, yet will certainly need come up significantly, same scope at 20x would probably be better since max magnification likely would be reasonable at any distance where I'm making adjustments via reticle... but in my mind all this is minor, I will work within the bounds of the scope.

Would like it illuminated because I shoot in fading light conditions, all the $$ seems crazy to skip that option.

I'm usually shooting at clay pigeons, good visual indication of what's happening downrange, but really would like to be able to see tight groups on paper to verify how I'm doing too, but can do that at 100 to 200 yards. Guessing as I stretch it out past the usual there's going to be steel involved as it will give me the option to run larger targets that still report back, maybe in a few sizes (keep missing a 6 inch then try to ring the 12 inch).

I guess I would mention too, durability is a plus. I'm careful with my stuff but am never on an actual table at a range, is always on a rock or bipod legs digging into gravel, bumping around on uneven ground trying to figure out where to setup today etc etc. Nice to know everything is going to hold up and stay put, not that I'm smashing my stuff around either but is not the most controlled environment - more similar to hunting than war I would say but if it can hold up to extreme abuse then it will work great for me.

Get a FFP

FFP sounds better but then similarly if its only viewable at certain magnification, seems to suffer from the same problems? I guess maybe I just don't know better but to me it really seems to be a minor thing which concerns how the whole package works together in your application.

I guess I would mention too, durability is a plus. I'm careful with my stuff but am never on an actual table at a range, is always on a rock or bipod legs digging into gravel, bumping around on uneven ground trying to figure out where to setup today etc etc. Nice to know everything is going to hold up and stay put, not that I'm smashing my stuff around either but is not the most controlled environment - more similar to hunting than war I would say but if it can hold up to extreme abuse then it will work great for me.
Vortex has lifetime warranty if that helps

If your not too far from me, Iv'e got a Viper pst II 5-25 you can throw on for comparison.

I'm in the Plaistow NH area. Those would be on the cheaper end of what's being discussed here, would definitely be interested in taking a look.

FFP sounds better but then similarly if its only viewable at certain magnification, seems to suffer from the same problems? I guess maybe I just don't know better but to me it really seems to be a minor thing which concerns how the whole package works together in your application.
FFP is good because it scales with the target. I've had no issues with how small it gets even at 100 yards

SFP will still work, but if it doesn't matter to you you should get the FFP

If you intend to use stadia lines/dots for holds, then get FFP. If you’re going to be dialing both windage and elevation for every shot, it’s not as much of an issue.

I like SFP for up to 6x, when I’ll only ever be using reticle stadia lines/BDC when at max magnification anyway. But with magnification ranges past that, there is too much magnification range that I may want to use with useable stadia lines.

If you intend to use stadia lines/dots for holds, then get FFP. If you’re going to be dialing both windage and elevation for every shot, it’s not as much of an issue.

I like SFP for up to 6x, when I’ll only ever be using reticle stadia lines/BDC when at max magnification anyway. But with magnification ranges past that, there is too much magnification range that I may want to use with useable stadia lines.

Thanks, what I was saying is on the flip side say on an FFP scope, you might not be able to read/use the reticle until you are up to some magnification either (because it's too small to read). Fairly straight forward question to resolve of course.

I took sig academy’s PSR 1,2,3 classes back in October and used one of their rifles in 6.5 and it had their Tango 6 5x30 56mm set ups on it and it worked well for me. I liked it enough that I ordered one when I got home. I wanna say the price point is under 2k for the 5x30.

I took sig academy’s PSR 1,2,3 classes back in October and used one of their rifles in 6.5 and it had their Tango 6 5x30 56mm set ups on it and it worked well for me. I liked it enough that I ordered one when I got home. I wanna say the price point is under 2k for the 5x30.

I might be able to get a discount on those. If they are in the ballpark of the others may be a real viable option.

You might want to check out the Athlon scopes. They seem to have some reasonably priced optics. I’d have a really hard time finding a suitable optic for under $2k. Also, if you’re an instructor or have been in the service many manufacturers will give you a decent discount off their prices.

Back
Top Bottom