6.5 Creedmoor precision rifle choices?

Don't listen to the unwashed masses here, lol.
No, but seriously, don't listen to them. Here's my list:
Sako S20 precision.
Steer SSG 04
Become a member at Sniper Central and buy one od Mel's Howa based builds.
Get a Defiance Machine action, an XLR chassis, a Jewel trigger and a Douglas, Krieger, Bartlein or other high quality barrel.
Save your pennies and get a used NXS Nightforce scope on the Bay. Don't do the Vortex thing on a nice rifle. Just don't.

I would check out this package from Area419. You will need a riser for the scope anyway. I would just call them to make sure there aren't any issues with the LRP 2.0

Don't listen to the unwashed masses here, lol.
No, but seriously, don't listen to them. Here's my list:
Sako S20 precision.
Steer SSG 04
Become a member at Sniper Central and buy one od Mel's Howa based builds.
Get a Defiance Machine action, an XLR chassis, a Jewel trigger and a Douglas, Krieger, Bartlein or other high quality barrel.
Save your pennies and get a used NXS Nightforce scope on the Bay. Don't do the Vortex thing on a nice rifle. Just don't.
A $3k scope should be nice in hands that can benefit from using it, for sure. May be in 3-4 years I will get there. For now it looks like I am getting everything for about of $3.5k total. I am sure it will be more than enough for a beginning.
Thx again to all who responded.

A $3k scope should be nice in hands that can benefit from using it, for sure. May be in 3-4 years I will get there. For now it looks like I am getting everything for about of $3.5k total. I am sure it will be more than enough for a beginning.
Thx again to all who responded.

If you’re not shooting in extremely poor lighting conditions or super heavy mirage, a $3k scope isn’t any better than $1k scope. Repeatable turrets is what you pay for.

Shooting long range is not that hard. It’s just math and breaking a good shot. You don’t need years of practice to get good at it. You need to drop that “I’m not good enough for the gear yet” mentality.
Buy the best you can afford now so you don’t have to buy an upgrade on six months.

I think the only issue I had with Bergara, was the lack of barrel choices. I don't think there are any pre fit barrels, and if you need a barrel swap it needs to go back to Bergara. Maybe it has changed since the last time I looked at them, I could be wrong. Don't tell the woman I said that.

Shooting long range is not that hard. It’s just math and breaking a good shot. You don’t need years of practice to get good at it. You need to drop that “I’m not good enough for the gear yet” mentality.
Buy the best you can afford now so you don’t have to buy an upgrade on six months.
Thx for the encouragement. It think the choices I’ve made should be adequate, for now. It is always difficult to choose if you’re not quite sure what is it you need.

F class and prs, most likely, at least that is what I did read about most. Frankly, no decision there at all, but I mostly lean toward PRS.
What class in F class?

Now there is an Economy class factory and Economy class open. Something like that. Both have limits on overall cost and weight.

Open F class, you will be going against some serious dudes that spend serious money.

I have been trying to find a good E class option to get into it, but I am not sure what to get.

I read good things about the Savage F class.

SmartSelect_20201128-091257_Chrome.jpg

What class in F class?

Now there is an Economy class factory and Economy class open. Something like that. Both have limits on overall cost and weight.

Open F class, you will be going against some serious dudes that spend serious money.
So, again, that is why I think more of an PRS.
Will see.

Thompson Center LRR is a great 6.5 riffle, they offer with it already setup with a Vortex optic for a reasonable price. Spend the remainder or your budget on the long range class at Sig and the other items you will need to be effective. The riffle will be more than you can shoot with out proper training.
I was just checking those out. For $1200 MSRP, so probably closer to $1000 online, looks like a great deal.

How are the TC actions, are there people that work on these or are you out of luck if you want to do some action work?

hmm... so, a current tally is as follows, with tax - came up to $4026. more or less what was expected, more than i wanted, but, OK.

Bergara LRP 2.0 6.5 Creedmoor 24" Barrel 5 RDs - $1924

Then, mostly a shameless copy of a setup posted above in the post #18:

Vortex Optics Viper PST Gen II 5-25x50 First Focal Plane Riflescope - EBR-7C Reticle (MOA) - $1061
Seekins Precision 20 MOA #8-40 Short Action Scope Base Screws Fits Remington 700 - $106
Steiner T-Series Scope Rings with Bubble Level, High 30mm - Riflescope Mount Rings for Precision Optical Alignment and Accuracy - $212
Magpul M-LOK Aluminum Picatinny Accessory Rail, 5 Slots - $20
Atlas 5-H Bipod Lever Mount with ARMS 17S Mount, Black - $478

Extras:
Vortex Optics Defender Flip Cap Set - Eyepiece E-10 (41.5-46mm) & Objective Lens Cover O-50 (55-59 mm) - $40
XLR Push Button Folding Adapter - $123
XLR Tactical Bag Rider - $62

to be continued...

I do like Bargara’s old slogan :"The most accurate rifle that you’ve never heard of.” Now that they’re becoming more popular they've changed it to “Our barrels make the difference.”

I think the only issue I had with Bergara, was the lack of barrel choices. I don't think there are any pre fit barrels, and if you need a barrel swap it needs to go back to Bergara. Maybe it has changed since the last time I looked at them, I could be wrong. Don't tell the woman I said that.
Nah! Bergara actions are REM700 clones.

I was just checking those out. For $1200 MSRP, so probably closer to $1000 online, looks like a great deal.

How are the TC actions, are there people that work on these or are you out of luck if you want to do some action work?

Not really sure on that, I have not looked into mods on mine yet.

Lots of info on Snipers Hide forums like this review:

I can give you my 2 cents worth on this rifle as I own one in 6.5 CM as well as a Rem 700 in .308 with a Mapul stock, Howa KRG Bravo in 6mm CM and a Bergara HMR in 6.5 CM, Love'm all. The Thompson Center shoots as good or better than all the others and it came with the best stock trigger of the 4 rifles, the Bergara, a close second. The stock is awesome and very user friendly. One thing I do not like is that you have to unscrew the cheek riser to take the bolt out which takes about 30 seconds, unlike the Howa's cheek riser, that takes maybe a second. Other than that the TC stock is way over it's pay grade. The bolt is massive compared to the other three, the circumference of the bolt is a third bigger and has a 3 lug system which gives you a 60 degree bolt throw and the bolt is smooth, the Bergara has the smoothest bolt out of the 4 , the Howa has a little binding in it. The Caldwell bipod is useless as it has no pivot and is hard mounted, so basically a kick stand. The bbl is what they call 5R rifling and it does clean up faster than the others with cut rifling. I put an M-LOK device on it that allows me to attach a Harris bipod for easy installation and removal. It also comes with a muzzle brake and a 20 moa picatinny rail Oh and the rifle came with a very, very nice gun case. You get a lot for your money compared to the others and this rifle will shoot as good as you need it too and a little better if you put the right loads through it. Of course a guy could buy the Ruger, Tikka or many others and be just as happy. There's my 2 cents....well...maybe 4 cents.

hmm... so, a current tally is as follows, with tax - came up to $4026. more or less what was expected, more than i wanted, but, OK.

Bergara LRP 2.0 6.5 Creedmoor 24" Barrel 5 RDs - $1924

Then, mostly a shameless copy of a setup posted above in the post #18:

Vortex Optics Viper PST Gen II 5-25x50 First Focal Plane Riflescope - EBR-7C Reticle (MOA) - $1061
Seekins Precision 20 MOA #8-40 Short Action Scope Base Screws Fits Remington 700 - $106
Steiner T-Series Scope Rings with Bubble Level, High 30mm - Riflescope Mount Rings for Precision Optical Alignment and Accuracy - $212
Magpul M-LOK Aluminum Picatinny Accessory Rail, 5 Slots - $20
Atlas 5-H Bipod Lever Mount with ARMS 17S Mount, Black - $478

Extras:
Vortex Optics Defender Flip Cap Set - Eyepiece E-10 (41.5-46mm) & Objective Lens Cover O-50 (55-59 mm) - $40
XLR Push Button Folding Adapter - $123
XLR Tactical Bag Rider - $62

to be continued...

Thank you for the links.

Do you have prime?

Asking because I am clicking on your links and see lower prices. The bipod, I see it $39 cheaper. The scope base, around $17 cheaper ...

SmartSelect_20201128-164040_Amazon Shopping.jpgSmartSelect_20201128-164016_Amazon Shopping.jpgSmartSelect_20201128-164002_Amazon Shopping.jpg

prices on ammo are truly out of whack now - gunbroker average on 6.5CR Sellier&Bellot 140gr is steady $2.50pr, a better quality ones go above $3.
all i could find was a one (1) fresh listing of an 200 federal american eagle 123gr otm, for $2.25pr and got that, for now.
other online shops seem to sit steady at $3pr price level. damn. what kind of times are these...

Last edited:
Do you have prime?

Asking because I am clicking on your links and see lower prices. The bipod, I see it $39 cheaper. The scope base, around $17 cheaper ...
tax, man... i`ve posted what i`ve actually paid. yep, do have prime, of course, whole point of why i am getting it from there, in case of any issues i can return anything i want.

tax, man... i`ve posted what i`ve actually paid. yep, do have prime, of course, whole point of why i am getting it from there, in case of any issues i can return anything i want.
Ah, forgot about the damn tax.

do not think i have much of a choice at $3+ per round, do i?
will have to learn. did not do it before.

Even now, I find that as being over-priced. I'm thinking <$1.5 rnd for Hornady. Keep an eye on Target Sports or some of the other go to places. S&B was at 0.78 mid September.

Longer term, consider planning for the future and get up to speed on reloading.

Last edited:
I hate those Vortex defender caps. The rubber part might slip off when trying to flip it open. Something to look at instead of mlok rail sections would be an arca rail. I like being able to just loosen the bipod mount and slide it closer if needed.

Hope you don’t get banned from Amazon if you frequently return stuff.

So funny- FedEx moves my rifle in a spiral around MA.
I really expected it to go to MA from NH, but, no, it went to CT.

An original expected delivery date was 12/03.

Saturday , 12/05/2020
9:55 pm
MIDDLETOWN, CT
In transit
8:35 am
LONDONDERRY, NH
Departed FedEx location
Friday , 12/04/2020
5:08 pm
LONDONDERRY, NH
Arrived at FedEx location
Thursday , 12/03/2020
12:46 pm
JACKSON TWP, PA
In transit
Wednesday , 12/02/2020
8:58 pm
RIALTO, CA
In transit
10:56 am
MEMPHIS, TN
Departed FedEx location
Tuesday , 12/01/2020
9:12 am
MEMPHIS, TN
Monday , 11/30/2020
3:36 pm
BOSSIER CITY, LA
2:37 pm
BOSSIER CITY, LA
Picked up
10:26 am
Shipment information sent to FedEx

I like 6mm over 6.5. You have to call your own shots and with 6mm I can see my impact maybe or a vapor trail when I miss. Getting started with 6.5 is good, just get started and if you get into it this won’t be your last precision rifle.

Back
Top Bottom