6.5 Creedmoor precision rifle choices?

paul73

NES Member
So, I was trying to read a bit on this topic - what is the opinion about MPA BA PMR “Pro” competition?
Intent is, eventually, to participate in a long range competition, get a starter gear that will last me at least 3-5 years well. I know well how to shoot a basic rifle, did hunt, but never trained for a real sniper skillset - alway wanted to, but, never had time.

I set an initial budget at $3k, for a whole build, probably will do 5-25x viper pst2 optics, but, cannot decide upon on a rifle, also, considering I am located in MA. Can do a bit more $ if needed, but, would prefer not to.

That MPA, I presume, should be allowed, but, is it really worth it, say, compared to a Ruger Hawkeye or Precision? Or anything else from other MPA lines?
I really want to get here something acceptably well built, mid tier, with a capacity to grow/modify it in the future, but, to be ready to perform well ‘as is’, if it makes sense.

1. make sure of the rules for the game you want to play. Gear up to that. My head spins on all the different types of matches these days.
Been looking around myself for a PRS type rifle and with out spending more than my truck is worth I been looking at tikka
T3x TACT A1
as for optics i have grown to like sightron and Athlon for the sub $1500 range. Optics are tough Im a picky sob on reticles. i dont like the overly busy Xmass tree style reticles. i also would be looking at FFP so you dont need to think as much for your change in MagX reticle subtension.
Rings and mounts, dont cheap out good rings and mounts are a god send , i see people with $2500 scopes with $49 rings.... Depending on your needs rings are sometimes tough to choose. So far of the rings I have in use especially for the larger scopes, in no particular order. Badger, Vortex, warne and burris and Leupold have never let me down.

Sometimes your best bet is to go to matches and see what folks are selling. Often you can get good deals for those stepping up into higher end gear.

those PmR pro rifles start at like $2500, no?

Dont forget all the other gear, extra mags, bags, bipods , spare parts, uggh it can get expensive even buying "budget" gear. ..

Just get a Tikka to use if you’re not really sure if you’ll be doing competition. I spent a lot on glass and parts to put together a bolt action last year and it gets vey little use. Should be more specific about what you want in the action. Things like degree bolt lift, integral rail/recoil lug, trigger hanger, crf, etc. Terrible timing if you plan to order parts too since the big sales probably ended yesterday.

So, I was trying to read a bit on this topic - what is the opinion about MPA BA PMR “Pro” competition?
Intent is, eventually, to participate in a long range competition, get a starter gear that will last me at least 3-5 years well. I know well how to shoot a basic rifle, did hunt, but never trained for a real sniper skillset - alway wanted to, but, never had time.

I set an initial budget at $3k, for a whole build, probably will do 5-25x viper pst2 optics, but, cannot decide upon on a rifle, also, considering I am located in MA. Can do a bit more $ if needed, but, would prefer not to.

That MPA, I presume, should be allowed, but, is it really worth it, say, compared to a Ruger Hawkeye or Precision? Or anything else from other MPA lines?
I really want to get here something acceptably well built, mid tier, with a capacity to grow/modify it in the future, but, to be ready to perform well ‘as is’, if it makes sense.
What type / discipline of competition are you interested in? PRS, NRL, F Class, Benchrest etc?

MPA makes solid rifles and chassis.

The choices really are endless though. I would say the Ruger RPR is is the lowest tier you will want for a competition usable rifle. The Hawkeye isn’t up to the task. The Tikka T3x is an excellent of the shelf choice, but is not as modular as something based on the Rem 700 action.

There are some custom actions that won’t break the bank, but you’ll need to source other parts and a gunsmith.

I‘ve had two full custom rifles and a modified Tubb 2000. I have been beat by good shooters with RPR’s and Tikkas.

Nonesuch Precision. Is a good place to start. Charlie won’t steer you wrong.

There are also a couple of threads on the “Rifle Competitions” sub-forum where this question has been discussed more. Read them.

What type / discipline of competition are you interested in? PRS, NRL, F Class, Benchrest etc?
F class and prs, most likely, at least that is what I did read about most. Frankly, no decision there at all, but I mostly lean toward PRS.

MPA makes solid rifles and chassis.

The choices really are endless though. I would say the Ruger RPR is is the lowest tier you will want for a competition usable rifle. The Hawkeye isn’t up to the task. The Tikka T3x is an excellent of the shelf choice, but is not as modular as something based on the Rem 700 action.

There are some custom actions that won’t break the bank, but you’ll need to source other parts and a gunsmith.

I‘ve had two full custom rifles and a modified Tubb 2000. I have been beat by good shooters with RPR’s and Tikkas.

Nonesuch Precision. Is a good place to start. Charlie won’t steer you wrong.

There are also a couple of threads on the “Rifle Competitions” sub-forum where this question has been discussed more. Read them.
Thx for the advice. I will look at subforum - I think I looked before in there, but, I am not at the level yet to be capable asking specific questions, as to ask a good question one needs to know at least the half of the answer and I am not near that yet. :)

So, I see the opinions here are in line with what I concluded - MPA, Ruger MPR, Tikka T3x. I assume either one is allowed in MA, there are no gotchas in that department?

F class and prs, most likely, at least that is what I did read about most. Frankly, no decision there at all, but I mostly lean toward PRS.
The MPA Chassis are used allot in PRS. As for F Class not so much. I run 2 rigs for PRS with MPA Chassis. I like F Class open and have not seen anyone run an MPA for F Class open that’s not to say you can not. Right rig / tool for the job.
I would suggest you spend some time doing some reading here. You are being redirected...

1. make sure of the rules for the game you want to play. Gear up to that. My head spins on all the different types of matches these days.
Been looking around myself for a PRS type rifle and with out spending more than my truck is worth I been looking at tikka
T3x TACT A1
as for optics i have grown to like sightron and Athlon for the sub $1500 range. Optics are tough Im a picky sob on reticles. i dont like the overly busy Xmass tree style reticles. i also would be looking at FFP so you dont need to think as much for your change in MagX reticle subtension.
Rings and mounts, dont cheap out good rings and mounts are a god send , i see people with $2500 scopes with $49 rings.... Depending on your needs rings are sometimes tough to choose. So far of the rings I have in use especially for the larger scopes, in no particular order. Badger, Vortex, warne and burris and Leupold have never let me down.

Sometimes your best bet is to go to matches and see what folks are selling. Often you can get good deals for those stepping up into higher end gear.

those PmR pro rifles start at like $2500, no?

Dont forget all the other gear, extra mags, bags, bipods , spare parts, uggh it can get expensive even buying "budget" gear. ..
I saw a custom built rifle my coworker has, with a $1800 vortex razor, so I am quite set on a 5-25 vortex viper pst2. I think it will be ok for me. Rings I did not look yet but I understand what you are saying very well.

The MPA Chassis are used allot in PRS. As for F Class not so much. I run 2 rigs for PRS with MPA Chassis. I like F Class open and have not seen antone run an MPA n F Class open that’s not to say you can not. Right rig / tool for the job.
I would suggest you spend some time doing some reading here. You are being redirected...
Could you pls tell more what MPAs builds you got? I am really looking for a minimum acceptable build, but something I can modify later, when I will be able to make those decisions.

Before all this Covid crap started happening I tried the Beginner PSR event that Granby held last year. I ran it with a Savage 10 Stealth Evolution with a Vortex Viper Gen II scope that you are looking at. Overall it was a lot of fun and it really shows how well you have the basics down, or not, depending on how you do. I was pretty happy with the results as I was able to hit the 1000 yard target, well, once. Lots of variables to take into considerations. Looking at some of the rifle/scope combinations you could tell there was some serious money in play in some of those rigs with all kinds of accessories associated. Check to see if Granby might be having that class again as it's a good way to get your feet wet. Remember to earmark some of that money on a serious bipod as well as shooting bags that are used as well. Folks will let you borrow their rests, but just be aware you'd need to get some of your own. Have fun!

Last edited:
Thompson Center LRR is a great 6.5 riffle, they offer with it already setup with a Vortex optic for a reasonable price. Spend the remainder or your budget on the long range class at Sig and the other items you will need to be effective. The riffle will be more than you can shoot with out proper training.

Thx for the advice. I will look at subforum - I think I looked before in there, but, I am not at the level yet to be capable asking specific questions, as to ask a good question one needs to know at least the half of the answer and I am not near that yet. :)

So, I see the opinions here are in line with what I concluded - MPA, Ruger MPR, Tikka T3x. I assume either one is allowed in MA, there are no gotchas in that department?

There is very little equipment crossover between PRS and serious F-Class. Keep that in mind as you try to decide. Some clubs are starting to shoot “run what you bring” 600yd prone matches. It can be a good way to get your feet wet and see what people are shooting. Spectators are nearly always welcome at Minuteman Precision Rifle matches. That’s where the serious PRS shooting happens in New England.

PRS shooting tends to be more “run and gun” and targets are fairly generous as to what counts as a point despite some of the targets being far away. F-Class and other prone only disciplines focus more on consistency and precision. For example, a PRS prone target at 600yds will likely be 8-10” and any hit on the plate is worth a point. The 10 ring on the 600yd F-class target is only about 5“ in diameter and you need to hit it 20 times in a row if you want to be in the top 5 or 10 for the match.

Do some reading over on SnipesHide.com if you really want to make your head spin. Lots of good information there though.

Thompson Center LRR is a great 6.5 riffle, they offer with it already setup with a Vortex optic for a reasonable price. Spend the remainder or your budget on the long range class at Sig and the other items you will need to be effective. The riffle will be more than you can shoot with out proper training.

I don’t have any experience with the TC rifles, but I can tell you that I’ve never seen one at a match in 4 years of shooting PRS.
I would not recommend one.

There is very little equipment crossover between PRS and serious F-Class. Keep that in mind as you try to decide. Some clubs are starting to shoot “run what you bring” 600yd prone matches. It can be a good way to get your feet wet and see what people are shooting. Spectators are nearly always welcome at Minuteman Precision Rifle matches. That’s where the serious PRS shooting happens in New England.

PRS shooting tends to be more “run and gun” and targets are fairly generous as to what counts as a point despite some of the targets being far away. F-Class and other prone only disciplines focus more on consistency and precision. For example, a PRS prone target at 600yds will likely be 8-10” and any hit on the plate is worth a point. The 10 ring on the 600yd F-class target is only about 5“ in diameter and you need to hit it 20 times in a row if you want to be in the top 5 or 10 for the match.

Do some reading over on SnipesHide.com if you really want to make your head spin. Lots of good information there though.
I think I will be very happy to be capable of hitting 10” at 600, just trying to be realistic with my short term goals.
I see this build as a winter project, can spread spending till spring comes, but, would be nice to settle on the brand at least. So far I think I want to stay with the MPA approach. Is that reasonable?

I think I will be very happy to be capable of hitting 10” at 600, just trying to be realistic with my short term goals.
I see this build as a winter project, can spread spending till spring comes, but, would be nice to settle on the brand at least. So far I think I want to stay with the MPA approach. Is that reasonable?

MPA is a good choice for one stop shopping. Keep in mind most of what they produce can be interchanged with MANY other mid and high end custom actions, barrels, triggers, etc. Using the MPA chassis for example doesn’t marry you to MPA parts only.

Your first step is to determine what exactly you want to do with the rifle, then come up with a budget. Since you‘re not in a hurry, there are countless more options available to you.

Find a rifle builder you are comfortable with and start daydreaming. Lol

MPA is a good choice for one stop shopping. Keep in mind most of what they produce can be interchanged with MANY other mid and high end custom actions, barrels, triggers, etc. Using the MPA chassis for example doesn’t marry you to MPA parts only.

Your first step is to determine what exactly you want to do with the rifle, then come up with a budget. Since you‘re not in a hurry, there are countless more options available to you.

Find a rifle builder you are comfortable with and start daydreaming. Lol
I get it.
So, looking just at this:
All i see they really offer is just one choice - a Trigger Tech Special or Timney HIT. In 6.5 Creedmoor the price is same - $2500.

Last edited:
Don’t forget to look at Bergara. They started out making barrels and now build complete rifles. Their new Premier Series LRP 2.0 (Long Range Precision) rifle might be worth looking at. I’ve posted this elsewhere on the forum, but this is my Bergara BPR17:

Bergara 1.jpeg
Bergara BPR17 PDC Comp Chassis 6.5cm 24" rifle with folding stock, barricade stop and adjustable thumb rest
ZRODelta Cowl Induction Muzzle Brake
XLR Industries bag rider
Steiner T5Xi 5-25X56 scope
Seekins Precision 20 MOA scope mount
Steiner T-series 34MM rings (high) with built in anti-cant level
Atlas 5-H bi-pod

Very accurate and very heavy. The Bergaras use a Rem 700 compatible action. Mine came with a TriggerTech trigger, which has to be the best trigger I’ve ever used. The build was over your $3K budget (more like $4K) but was well worth it.

I get it.
So, looking just at this:
All i see they really offer is just one choice - a Trigger Tech Special or Timney HIT. In 6.5 Creedmoor the price is same - $2500.

A Curtis action would not be my first choice. Though plenty of folks have been successful with them. It all boils down to personal preference. No one can choose for you.

Just get a Tikka to use if you’re not really sure if you’ll be doing competition. I spent a lot on glass and parts to put together a bolt action last year and it gets vey little use. Should be more specific about what you want in the action. Things like degree bolt lift, integral rail/recoil lug, trigger hanger, crf, etc. Terrible timing if you plan to order parts too since the big sales probably ended yesterday.

Huh? Did I over sleep by a whole day? Is it Saturday? Too bad OP missed black Friday. (insert face palm)

Just checked and the Bergara LRP 2.0 in 6.5 Creed is available from several stores at $1950. Plus $900-$1000 for the Viper (depending on reticle) and you’re right at $3K. Just need to add a mount and rings.

Don’t forget to look at Bergara. They started out making barrels and now build complete rifles. Their new Premier Series LRP 2.0 (Long Range Precision) rifle might be worth looking at. I’ve posted this elsewhere on the forum, but this is my Bergara BPR17:

View attachment 416051
Bergara BPR17 PDC Comp Chassis 6.5cm 24" rifle with folding stock, barricade stop and adjustable thumb rest
ZRODelta Cowl Induction Muzzle Brake
XLR Industries bag rider
Steiner T5Xi 5-25X56 scope
Seekins Precision 20 MOA scope mount
Steiner T-series 34MM rings (high) with built in anti-cant level
Atlas 5-H bi-pod

Very accurate and very heavy. The Bergaras use a Rem 700 compatible action. Mine came with a TriggerTech trigger, which has to be the best trigger I’ve ever used. The build was over your $3K budget (more like $4K) but was well worth it.
When I was going through this decision process, I narrowed it down to the Tikka and the Bergara. I went with a Bergara Elite 6.5CM because it was Rem 700 action and there were a lot of options for upgrades and needed parts like the scope mount/riser (I used an area 419 riser and brake), and it is a phenomenal rifle.

Not that it helps your decision making but i like watch stuff from these guys.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spGqB5v1xlo

Find shooters already playing in the games your thinking of playing. Tag alone maybe borrow gun to try? Sometimes all it takes is one match to get a hell yeah or not for me.
Do you like to run around and change position often or do you want to lay dawn for 80 rounds ?

are you looking for a hits on target type of match or trying to hit the X ring.

alot depends on your access to longer ranges. Im pretty much stuck at 200 yards with out some travel time so im in no rush to tool up for anything right now.

Im running 22lr a bit more than anything right now out to 200yds.

Have fun

Just checked and the Bergara LRP 2.0 in 6.5 Creed is available from several stores at $1950. Plus $900-$1000 for the Viper (depending on reticle) and you’re right at $3K. Just need to add a mount and rings.
Thx, I will check it too. It was all very helpful info, thx to all who responded.

I still think the best bang for the buck is a Rem 700 with 5R rifling. Pick your poison... .308 or 6.5 and you can't go wrong.

I'm running a 700P and it's a 3/4 to 1 minute rifle in my hands...likely better with a more skilled shooter.

I don’t have any experience with the TC rifles, but I can tell you that I’ve never seen one at a match in 4 years of shooting PRS.
I would not recommend one.

The LRR has not been out for (4) years which is probably why you haven't seen one, If memory serves me correctly it came out right before COVID hit, hence why no one has seen one. I own one and can tell you when matches resume I guarantee you will see them, amazing reviews.

Back
Top Bottom