• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

6.5 Creedmoor precision rifle choices?

6.5 Creedmoor is 1k yds capable, so I said over 600yds. Trackingpoint lists range capability with each model. I agree that it's not as much "FUN" when you can hit the target with a high probability all the time.

A "Good" setup could easily be $6k, so another $4k that would be spent in trying to hit long range targets, and you have a Trackingpoint.

Last edited:
so, i am bringing back this thread to ask a question i perhaps know the answer myself for... still.
what do you think - will this device seriously harm groups of my bergara lrp2, or not?

i know the 24" rifle does not need it, but, i was shooting it next to my kid and it was loud. i`ve got complaints. :)
so, i think i will try that, it should at least partially redirect the blast, but, what do you think - what impact on accuracy and groups size will that thing have?

so, i am bringing back this thread to ask a question i perhaps know the answer myself for... still.
what do you think - will this device seriously harm groups of my bergara lrp2, or not?

i know the 24" rifle does not need it, but, i was shooting it next to my kid and it was loud. i`ve got complaints. :)
so, i think i will try that, it should at least partially redirect the blast, but, what do you think - what impact on accuracy and groups size will that thing have?
Should have no effect on grouping but you’ll see some fireballs. I’d just use either a flash hider or nothing if I was worried about noise or concussion for people next to me. Unless that’s what you’re already using and it’s an issue.

Should have no effect on grouping but you’ll see some fireballs. I’d just use either a flash hider or nothing if I was worried about noise or concussion for people next to me. Unless that’s what you’re already using and it’s an issue.
rifle has a thread protector only now. kid was complaining of blast hurting her ears, even with the foam inserts in and a muffs on. sooo, i`ve got to do something.
i do not care if it will move POI a bit, just do not want groups to fall apart too much.

rifle has a thread protector only now. kid was complaining of blast hurting her ears, even with the foam inserts in and a muffs on. sooo, i`ve got to do something.
i do not care if it will move POI a bit, just do not want groups to fall apart too much.
Probably gonna be worse with an MD, noise that is. To me the report is usually more with a brake. Tell kid to deal!!! LOL.

I remember the first time my eldest daughter fired my 629 with full power 240 grainers, she looked at me with the crazy ass grin on her face and asked if I has something bigger.

Probably gonna be worse with an MD, noise that is. To me the report is usually more with a brake. Tell kid to deal!!! LOL.
I remember the first time my eldest daughter fired my 629 with full power 240 grainers, she looked at me with the crazy ass grin on her face and asked if I has something bigger.
it is a linear brake - it directs sound forward. a usual brake, sure, it makes it way worse, with side ports.

She says it's too noisey even with just the thread protector? I'll assume your range is covered? Can you move a little forward so the muzzle is closer to being out from under cover?

She says it's too noisey even with just the thread protector? I'll assume your range is covered? Can you move a little forward so the muzzle is closer to being out from under cover?
makes perfect sense. will try next time. i did not think off that, indeed it is probably what it was. she is 11, so, i think it is also the age. son, 15, does not complain at all.
but i want to be sensible here. :)

i played today with 2 types of brakes on the bergara, and ended up keeping this one on:

it reduced recoil quite well, and completely removed gun hopping after the shot. i was able to put 4 rounds into the same hole with it, then 3 rounds into same hole in other spot, same way, so, looks like it is making a good difference. quite interesting that after mounting it on - the was no horizontal shift, but, POI went vertically up 4.5 MOA, which quite a lot, go figure why.

the kaw valley brake did nothing good.

i played today with 2 types of brakes on the bergara, and ended up keeping this one on:

it reduced recoil quite well, and completely removed gun hopping after the shot. i was able to put 4 rounds into the same hole with it, then 3 rounds into same hole in other spot, same way, so, looks like it is making a good difference. quite interesting that after mounting it on - the was no horizontal shift, but, POI went vertically up 4.5 MOA, which quite a lot, go figure why.

the kaw valley brake did nothing good.
I'm trying to imagine how POI can change by 4.5 moa...

The linear comp didn't even help a little with the concussion felt by your kid? I got something similar to try on a SBR later on.

I'm trying to imagine how POI can change by 4.5 moa...
The linear comp didn't even help a little with the concussion felt by your kid? I got something similar to try on a SBR later on.
i did not have kid there with me today, and did not have a sound sensor, but, the crack from the shot was pretty much identical, with the linear one and with no brake. what linear brake did - it moved group about 1.5MOA to the left up, diagonally, and then i struggled to nail it into same hole. it kept going about of half inch apart, left or right. i think brake affected the grouping, as i got it off and shot with no brake, and it went normal, as usual. then i got the supercomp on, and it went 4.5 inches higher, so i had to rezero the scope. but after that i had about of 30 rounds shot, so, it was consistent and groups were tight.
i was reading a lot from sniperhide and other forums and saw several times praises to that .308 supercomp xl, plus, it was under $50 - so, it was easy to do. so far it seems to be better with it.

It wouldn’t surprise me that different brakes would have different (possibly considerable) affects on POI. Since the brake threads directly onto the barrel, it will effect the barrel harmonics to a greater or lesser degree depending on the weight of the device and it’s composition. It will even depend on if you used a crush washer or spacer to time it. My experience is that spacers are much more dependable than crush washers in maintaining a consistent barrel harmonic from shot to shot.

It wouldn’t surprise me that different brakes would have different (possibly considerable) affects on POI. Since the brake threads directly onto the barrel, it will effect the barrel harmonics to a greater or lesser degree depending on the weight of the device and it’s composition. It will even depend on if you used a crush washer or spacer to time it. My experience is that spacers are much more dependable than crush washers in maintaining a consistent barrel harmonic from shot to shot.
i was actually lucky to bolt it on with no washer or spacer - it did set on perfect timing.
i will need to put more rounds through it, and will test it at 200 and 300 next. but, the less gun jumping is good. it was jumping quite a bit before, it was annoying. with the brake i shot it from the bag, and from the bipod - both ways seem to be quite ok now. it takes time, i wish i could do it more often. :)

i was actually lucky to bolt it on with no washer or spacer - it did set on perfect timing.
i will need to put more rounds through it, and will test it at 200 and 300 next. but, the less gun jumping is good. it was jumping quite a bit before, it was annoying. with the brake i shot it from the bag, and from the bipod - both ways seem to be quite ok now. it takes time, i wish i could do it more often. :)

Pretty much any muzzle break on a rifle is going to be loud and blast bystanders. Some blast the shooter as well. There’s not much you can do about it besides double up with earplugs and muffs that fit properly. I would guess an 11yo using adult sized ear protection is going to suffer. Also don’t shoot under cover. The more wide open your shooting area the better.
I have used probably five or six different brakes on my PRS rifles. The worst by far for blasting the shooter and bystanders is the APA Lil’ Bastard. The PvA Mad Scientist was a little better, The Area 419 Hellfire will leave you with a headache after a full day of shooting. The newer PVA JetBlast is a definite improvement over the Mad Scientist. The latest one I’ve been using is the White Oak Arms/Tubb 4 star, and I really like it. It does however require a slightly longer threaded barrel tenon. All of these are self timing, 5/8x24 threaded. I stay away from crush washer timed. All of the ones I listed just need a wrench, and the Hellfire is done by hand. I’ve never had one come loose.

Mass needs to stop the stupid and repeal the laws prohibiting suppressors. I’d love to see the ATF get suppressors off the NFA list, but still keep them as serialized parts. As long as they’re still expensive enough to manufacture, they aren’t going to be some kind of magical crime-hiding device.

As far as accuracy and POI change goes a quality brake will not have any effect and some can actually be used as barrel tuners to improve accuracy. Keep them clean so you don’t build up carbon in the actual bore. Self-timing brakes are easy on/off for cleaning as well.

Pretty much any muzzle break on a rifle is going to be loud and blast bystanders. Some blast the shooter as well. There’s not much you can do about it besides double up with earplugs and muffs that fit properly. I would guess an 11yo using adult sized ear protection is going to suffer. Also don’t shoot under cover. The more wide open your shooting area the better.
I have used probably five or six different brakes on my PRS rifles. The worst by far for blasting the shooter and bystanders is the APA Lil’ Bastard. The PvA Mad Scientist was a little better, The Area 419 Hellfire will leave you with a headache after a full day of shooting. The newer PVA JetBlast is a definite improvement over the Mad Scientist. The latest one I’ve been using is the White Oak Arms/Tubb 4 star, and I really like it. It does however require a slightly longer threaded barrel tenon. All of these are self timing, 5/8x24 threaded. I stay away from crush washer timed. All of the ones I listed just need a wrench, and the Hellfire is done by hand. I’ve never had one come loose.

Mass needs to stop the stupid and repeal the laws prohibiting suppressors. I’d love to see the ATF get suppressors off the NFA list, but still keep them as serialized parts. As long as they’re still expensive enough to manufacture, they aren’t going to be some kind of magical crime-hiding device.

As far as accuracy and POI change goes a quality brake will not have any effect and some can actually be used as barrel tuners to improve accuracy. Keep them clean so you don’t build up carbon in the actual bore. Self-timing brakes are easy on/off for cleaning as well.
They say there a white oak needs to be drilled out for any calibers larger than .223. Is it correct, or are there versions for .308 or 6.5cm?

I have the area 419 hellfire, its stupid easy to install, and mitigates recoil enough to stay on target with each shot. It definitely will not fix your noise issues though, I've only shot it in the open with no cover around

They say there a white oak needs to be drilled out for any calibers larger than .223. Is it correct, or are there versions for .308 or 6.5cm?
I believe it does need to be bored out beyond .223. It didn’t matter to me as my gunsmith had the barrel to thread the tenon longer anyway. Having muzzle brakes bored out over beyond the caliber you intend to shoot is no big deal. You have to go quite a bit larger to notice any real difference.

totally agree on that, but, it is probably unrealistic to expect in this state.
i was thinking initially of something stupid simple, like a piece of the PVC pipe fitted around the brake, like the LaRue tranquilo has a 15/16"-24 outer thread, but, looking at the forums and definitions it looks like even an empty pipe attached to the a barrel can be treated as a silencer, so, hell with it. an idiocy all around.

totally agree on that, but, it is probably unrealistic to expect in this state.
i was thinking initially of something stupid simple, like a piece of the PVC pipe fitted around the brake, like the LaRue tranquilo has a 15/16"-24 outer thread, but, looking at the forums and definitions it looks like even an empty pipe attached to the a barrel can be treated as a silencer, so, hell with it. an idiocy all around.
You would be correct. Don’t even mess around with it. It is not looked upon kindly at all.

You would be correct. Don’t even mess around with it. It is not looked upon kindly at all.
last time i gave my kid foam earplugs, and with muffs around it was almost ok. i have 3 muffs now and none are ideal for her, so, i kinda stopped trying. plus stupid glasses hurt her ears when pressed in by muffs. and she got to a stage now when i am not allowed to touch or help anymore, grr.

may be i need just something totally else with softer or gel pads, dunno. i just have a realistic expectation for her interest in shooting to subdue soon, as with everything else :) - but for now she liked shooting my glock with a .22lr kit in it - that is not loud by itself, but me snapping my cz right next to her got her cringe, so i just stopped.

last time i gave my kid foam earplugs, and with muffs around it was almost ok. i have 3 muffs now and none are ideal for her, so, i kinda stopped trying. plus stupid glasses hurt her ears when pressed in by muffs. and she got to a stage now when i am not allowed to touch or help anymore, grr.

may be i need just something totally else with softer or gel pads, dunno. i just have a realistic expectation for her interest in shooting to subdue soon, as with everything else :) - but for now she liked shooting my glock with a .22lr kit in it - that is not loud by itself, but me snapping my cz right next to her got her cringe, so i just stopped.
Two ideas, maybe they'll help.
1) some of the gel cups have a relief in the top for the temple of your glasses. Maybe it's worth getting a pair to install on her muffs?
e.g. Noisefighters | Hearing Protection & Night Vision Accessories

2) there are commercial devices like you're describing, called blast diverters or similar. No idea if there's one that's compatible with your brake, but maybe worth looking into?
e.g. Category: Muzzle-Devices, Sub Category: Blast-Diverters, Marketing Categories: AR-15

2) there are commercial devices like you're describing, called blast diverters or similar. No idea if there's one that's compatible with your brake, but maybe worth looking into?
e.g. Category: Muzzle-Devices, Sub Category: Blast-Diverters, Marketing Categories: AR-15
i think this
may be clarified as a silencer in MA. same exact way of thought i had about fitting the PVC pipe.

if you go by the official language - a piece of the swimming foam noodle is a forbidden silencer as well. stupid shit it all is.

i think this
may be clarified as a silencer in MA. same exact way of thought i had about fitting the PVC pipe.

if you go by the official language - a piece of the swimming foam noodle is a forbidden silencer as well. stupid shit it all is.
I'll admit, I've not looked into that part. Assuming that's true, I'm sure you're right it's best to not risk getting jammed up.

Back
Top Bottom