• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

6.5 Creedmoor precision rifle choices?

Really, dont answer but ai have to ask why. Please tell me you did not buy that bipod for the Tavor,
yep, of course i got it for the tavor. why - why not. just looked at the tavor and concluded, hmm, it does not seem truly complete without a proper bipod. or tripod. More legs the merrier.
:)

yep, of course i got it for the tavor. why - why not. just looked at the tavor and concluded, hmm, it does not seem truly complete without a proper bipod. or tripod. More legs the merrier.
:)

I don't think he's questioning having a bipod on it, but specifically the Atlas.

Either way, very nice

Really, dont answer but ai have to ask why. Please tell me you did not buy that bipod for the Tavor,
See previous posts:
hmm... so, a current tally is as follows, with tax - came up to $4026. more or less what was expected, more than i wanted, but, OK.

Bergara LRP 2.0 6.5 Creedmoor 24" Barrel 5 RDs - $1924

Then, mostly a shameless copy of a setup posted above in the post #18:

Vortex Optics Viper PST Gen II 5-25x50 First Focal Plane Riflescope - EBR-7C Reticle (MOA) - $1061
Seekins Precision 20 MOA #8-40 Short Action Scope Base Screws Fits Remington 700 - $106
Steiner T-Series Scope Rings with Bubble Level, High 30mm - Riflescope Mount Rings for Precision Optical Alignment and Accuracy - $212
Magpul M-LOK Aluminum Picatinny Accessory Rail, 5 Slots - $20
Atlas 5-H Bipod Lever Mount with ARMS 17S Mount, Black - $478

Extras:
Vortex Optics Defender Flip Cap Set - Eyepiece E-10 (41.5-46mm) & Objective Lens Cover O-50 (55-59 mm) - $40
XLR Push Button Folding Adapter - $123
XLR Tactical Bag Rider - $62

to be continued...

It’s for his Bergara LRP.

as i am still on this topic - and just ordered from amazon a 6.5 sized set of brass bristles - do you use brass or nylon bore brushes on your rifles?
i would not think a brass brush would not be of any issue for a precision barrel - why would it?

we went over 40 shots yesterday, i wanted to see the condition, and barrel was pretty decently dirty. in fact, dirtier than a tavor after 160 shots. go figure.
do you usually clean it after 100 shots or 50 or, dunno, 200? a usual hoppe`s #9 bore cleaner ok?
Never used it but butch’s bore shine label says not to use a brush it will clean it all with a patch. It also says if it’s stubborn use a brass brush

Never used it but butch’s bore shine label says not to use a brush it will clean it all with a patch. It also says if it’s stubborn use a brass brush
I always ran brass only once - forward and back, then patch. But, I never had to deal with high precision barrels, and stainless high carbon steel - it is all new to me. I think it should be ok, but as I read more some say never to scrub it. Go figure.

Co
as i am still on this topic - and just ordered from amazon a 6.5 sized set of brass bristles - do you use brass or nylon bore brushes on your rifles?
i would not think a brass brush would not be of any issue for a precision barrel - why would it?

we went over 40 shots yesterday, i wanted to see the condition, and barrel was pretty decently dirty. in fact, dirtier than a tavor after 160 shots. go figure.
do you usually clean it after 100 shots or 50 or, dunno, 200? a usual hoppe`s #9 bore cleaner ok?
Couple of things on cleaning a precision rifle. First, no brass brushes - nylon only. No metal cleaning rods, you can use a coated rod but I use this: Tipton Max Force 1-Piece Cleaning Rod Carbon Fiber. Also, always use a bore guide (like this Pro-Shot The Stopper Adjustable Bore Guide). For bore cleaner I use : ThorroClean Bore Cleaning System. And I clean it after every shooting session (this is a matter of taste, but I like to start each session with the rifle in exactly the same state each time). Finally, if you have a brake and it is put on properly, you should be able to just remove it by hand (like you would a suppressor). You generally want to remove the brake when cleaning the rifle and clean it separately.

I don't think he's questioning having a bipod on it, but specifically the Atlas.

Either way, very nice
I was questioning the tavor with bipod, well not really cause I dont want to know why. Lol
Its all good.
But a $400 bipod on a Trevor just seems silly.

Co

Couple of things on cleaning a precision rifle. First, no brass brushes - nylon only. No metal cleaning rods, you can use a coated rod but I use this: Tipton Max Force 1-Piece Cleaning Rod Carbon Fiber. Also, always use a bore guide (like this Pro-Shot The Stopper Adjustable Bore Guide). For bore cleaner I use : ThorroClean Bore Cleaning System. And I clean it after every shooting session (this is a matter of taste, but I like to start each session with the rifle in exactly the same state each time). Finally, if you have a brake and it is put on properly, you should be able to just remove it by hand (like you would a suppressor). You generally want to remove the brake when cleaning the rifle and clean it separately.
other than sometimes getting false "copper" signs with brass or copper brushes is there any other reason to not use brass brushes?
Do you use nylon jag also.

See previous posts:

It’s for his Bergara LRP.
thank Christ!
Im not much of a Tavor fan. My friend has one. I cant really see shooting that thing other than normal positions with out any support added?
To each his own , my friend has that stupid bipod that mounts to the forward grip. It sucks.
Thats all.....
oh I do stupid shit also. I have had that atlas in my shopping cart more than once. Plan was to put it on my 513t! Figure if im going to mount a $1000 scope to a 75yr old 22lr with a shitty trigger why not a nice bipod

Last edited:
If you want to see how accurate the Bergara will shoot, I suggest temporarily removing the bipod and using a sandbag. If a friend has a bench rest, even better.

I realize tough to find components right now but I very strongly suggest learning to reload if you want to do precision shooting often. With decent ammo and practice, that rifle is probably closer to 1/2 MOA than it is to 1 MOA. Otherwise keep your eyes peeled for reasonably priced (for 2020) ammo. I've found S&B OK for 2-3 MOA milsurp shooting but wouldn't expect better than minute of deer vital area from their 6.5 CM ammo.
i think 6.5 bullets is easy to find. Its probably the easiest to find. My buddies dad asked me to find him some 6mm for his 6 dasher. Hes being a little specific so its harder.

thank Christ!
Im not much of a Tavor fan. My friend has one. I cant really see shooting that thing other than normal positions with out any support added?
So far all I can say - ‘that thing’ shoots very well from any position. I like it’s handling much better than an AR, it is very stable at rapid fire.
Real shame it is not possible to have it as a full auto. But, with a 2.8lb trigger it is awesome.

other than sometimes getting false "copper" signs with brass or copper brushes is there any other reason to not use brass brushes?
Do you use nylon jag also.
I use a polymer slotted tip with patches, don’t generally use a jag, but I do have one and it’s also polymer. From what I’ve read, using a bore guide is probably more important than using a nylon brush. I just go with nylon since the claim is that they won’t break down the way a brass brush might when using copper removers. For any of my guns shooting lead bullets (22s, 45 Colt, etc.) I always use brass brushes. And as far as cleaning after every range session, it’s probably more of a hold over from when I shot corrosive mil-sup ammo than any real concern abut barrel consistency. Many folks will say that since only the first shot or two is from a clean barrel, cleaning after every range session is counter productive, since you have to fire a couple of shots to get the barrel back to the way it was during the majority of your previous range session.

I use a polymer slotted tip with patches, don’t generally use a jag, but I do have one and it’s also polymer. From what I’ve read, using a bore guide is probably more important than using a nylon brush. I just go with nylon since the claim is that they won’t break down the way a brass brush might when using copper removers. For any of my guns shooting lead bullets (22s, 45 Colt, etc.) I always use brass brushes. And as far as cleaning after every range session, it’s probably more of a hold over from when I shot corrosive mil-sup ammo than any real concern abut barrel consistency. Many folks will say that since only the first shot or two is from a clean barrel, cleaning after every range session is counter productive, since you have to fire a couple of shots to get the barrel back to the way it was during the majority of your previous range session.
i use what ever I have, although much of my stuff is very old so I have been slowly replacing it. Been buying the nickel plated jags lately. I grew up on bronze/brass brushes and jags. they seem to work. My lazy way is foaming bore cleaner and 2 snakes. one for the heavy crud on the first pull then the second one for the cleaner pass. I give the snakes a once over with cheap brake cleaner when done. My main cleaning practice is after a range trip I swab with a solvent patch (CLP or anything safe to leave in the bore for rust prevention) , let it sit 5 min or so and run a 3-5 dry patches then finish with a wet patch.

the slotted tips for patches, I never really liked those. My dad always said they dont expose enough patch surface to the bore? well IDK my dad was not proven wrong very often.

I like the nice one piece rods for sure, I dont think it matters if its metal, plastic, coated ect ect.
Bore guide is good--- especially if it has that little solvent window you can use vs wetting patches then jamming them into the bore. I only really deep clean at the end of the season, or when I have accuracy issues. Like my recent AR , its a beater but will shoot sub 2 moa with any good ammo usually . Recently shot it and groups where poor. I found some fouling in their that I believe was from the zinc plated jackets of the Tula ammo my friends wife used in a few cmp matches.... well I cleaned and brushed the begeez out of it and back to normal. good for another 300+ rounds or so.
1607880790594.png

since you have to fire a couple of shots to get the barrel back to the way it was during the majority of your previous range session.
I definitely wanted to give it a deep clean after a break-in, and it was warranted- I saw some odd debris on the action, nothing excessive, a usual stuff you can see on a brand new weapon. I do not think I will be cleaning it very often now, may be every 200 or so rounds, will see.

I have very different cleaning regimens for my different guns. They only one I’m really picky about is the Bergara, and I think that is as much psychological as having anything to actually do with the accuracy of the gun ;). The rest I pretty much clean when I think they need it and just use a standard cleaning kit.

I have very different cleaning regimens for my different guns. They only one I’m really picky about is the Bergara, and I think that is as much psychological as having anything to actually do with the accuracy of the gun ;). The rest I pretty much clean when I think they need it and just use a standard cleaning kit.
Do you ever clean its trigger assembly?
I do not think it is needed, but, as we are on the topic.

Do you ever clean its trigger assembly?
I do not think it is needed, but, as we are on the topic.
TriggerTech says that their patented rolling technology eliminates the need for lubrication. Since the trigger is running dry, and is designed to run that way, the most I would ever do is blow it out with some compressed air if I got the gun really dusty. Since I tend to baby my Bergara (not that it really needs it, I just baby any outfit that cost over $4k) I’ve never done anything to the trigger group.

Im on the last few squirts of my gunslick foam bore cleaner. Really liked this stuff. Looks like Hoppes bought out gun slick and crushed the line?
Any new foaming bore cleaners out there worth trying?

One and done

One and done
a cool toy indeed, for a $10K. also makes one think it needs a guided missile to complete the package with that tracking system.
But, I just like glass better :) and it does not need any batteries.

a cool toy indeed, for a $10K. also makes one think it needs a guided missile to complete the package with that tracking system.
Look at the trigger guard button:
ST6proHero.png

thefifthelement-zf-009.png

The LRR has not been out for (4) years which is probably why you haven't seen one, If memory serves me correctly it came out right before COVID hit, hence why no one has seen one. I own one and can tell you when matches resume I guarantee you will see them, amazing reviews.
They came out a few years back but it won't ever take off in PRS because its just not gamed for that type of shooting at all.

for your gun I would invest in a arca adapter for your bipod because it gives more flex-ability than the pic rail mount. I would also look into something like this for barricade and or rear support armageddongear.com/Shmedium-Mid-Size-Gamechanger_p_162.html

One and done
Where’s the fun in that! Might as well just let the computer do it for you.

Where’s the fun in that! Might as well just let the computer do it for you.
Depends on how much time and money you have and how you want to spend it. Some of the $10k+ hunting trips have them as part of the package.
How many times would you need, or have the opportunity, to shoot over 600yds?
Good summary description

Last edited:
I still think the best bang for the buck is a Rem 700 with 5R rifling. Pick your poison... .308 or 6.5 and you can't go wrong.

I'm running a 700P and it's a 3/4 to 1 minute rifle in my hands...likely better with a more skilled shooter.

I wouldn’t touch a new “Remington” or one from the past few years with a 10 foot pole.

Back
Top Bottom