5th Gen dodge Ram?

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Curious as to thoughts from any owners. I posted a week or so ago that we were interested in a bigger SUV as a trade for one of the Wranglers. Well after doing the rounds at different dealerships looking at various stuff, my wife is now solidly in camp pick-up truck.

I'm partial to Ford myself, however I think Ram hit it out of the park with the 5th gen trucks by such a large margin that that is the direction we're gonna go. As far as option packages go we are looking at 5.7 Hemi 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab short Beds with the level1 equipment group (premium sound, front and rear parking sensors, some nicer interior trim). I really want the advanced safety group which includes adaptive cruise and lane keeping assist, but it seems that's only on trucks that people ordered like that. The sunroof and "offroad" packages are also a plus, but not necessarily a deal breaker. We are most likely going the CPO route with a low mileage 2019 (under 20K). Should be under 40K for the truck, and we only lost about 10-12K in depreciation on the wrangler over the last 6 years.

Annoyingly the dealers order these with a bunch of expensive useless crap like 20" rims and painted bumpers, but not with stuff that would actually be useful like the sunroof, adaptive cruise, etc. I think that's so the don't cut into their sales of limiteds. But for less money I could have more actual stuff, and that pisses me off.

Anyone have any experience with the 5th gens? Love it? Hate it? Regret it?

It's insane that these are the only low mileage decent quality newer vehicles in our price range as compared to Tahoes, Expeditions, etc... and that they are more useful, have nicer interiors, and have waaay more second row space.

jpk

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
1500?
2500?
3500?

You could get a brand new 2019 leftover 2500 crew cab with a 6.7 cummins diesel for 43k......

The cummins diesel is a huge improvement over the gasser in terms of useability and longevity

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I’d love that but wife is stuck on the 1500 and it’s going to be her truck/primarily a family hauler. I had a friend who did just that and it’s awesome.

TrashcanDan

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
The cummins diesel is a huge improvement over the gasser in terms of useability and longevity
100% accurate.
Its also a huge improvement over the old 5.9. i.s.b.'s

Anyone have any experience with the 5th gens? Love it? Hate it? Regret it?
I leased one last year on a black friday event (I'm at the 18 month mark now), a 1500 "Classic", which I think was made just for lease purposes, because it was a pain getting those weather tech mats for. Out of the big 3 that were offering deals, this was the better (or lesser) of 3 evils.
Plain Jane style 4wd, 4 door, and its a 6, so no real input on the 8's.
Decent m.p.g., I think I average 20?
No column or floor shift, just some knob on the dash.
Sat radio
Not loaded with options, which is what I wanted.
Pushbutton 4wd.
Not towing anything but handles more weight than my last ride. Whatever 3 stages of steel challenge weigh.
I think I'll purchase it after the lease is up, seems to fit my particular needs.
YMMV

ILikeGlocks

Instructor
NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I've got a 1500 w/ the same general specs that you mention.

In most cases, I have to keep the parking sensors OFF. The automatic breaking with the rear sensor is a real PITA. Like, back out of my driveway, noting there but the road & BRRRRNNNGG.... Scares the **** out of you the first few times.

Other than that - absolutely love it!

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don’t know what generation it is, but I just bought a 2015 1500 with low miles with the 5.7. I don’t tow real heavy and have a bit of a commute, and diesel is still a lot more expensive than gas in Commieland, so 21 MPG on the highway will be nice. Having an automatic transmission might be nice, but the manual in my old truck kept a lot of people from driving or borrowing it. Low end trim package. I drive my trucks, I don’t show them, so I don’t need strips of fake wood grain and extra shiny plastic bits.

I take delivery of it tomorrow.

jpk

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I thought the 2019 classics were the residual 4th Gen rams?
Normally the last year of a "generation" is quite stable/reliable and problem free

The first year of ANY generation/changes tend to be the most problematic.....

IDK what the diffs between G4 and G5 are beyond some cosmetic changes but.....do your research would be my recommendation

powerman

NES Member
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Was given 2019 ram 1500 big horn for 4-5 weeks, rode and drove nice, they perfected the exhaust sound.
Hemi had plenty of balls, drove really well and was even quite until you hit the fun peddle .
The only thing I noticed and the dealer agreed, the metal on the frame was thin and light gauged, such as mounts for front suspension.
Assuming they use a lower quality steel, I'm not sure what would be left 10 years later especially here in Northeast

Behind Enemy Lines

Dealer
NES Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Customer of mine just brought his back for issues with the infotainment screen or whatever it's called (radio suddenly blaring at full volume, randomly resetting etc), the loaner they gave him also has the issue(plus a "crackling noise behind the screen"). Sample of 2, of course, but figured it's worth mentioning.

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
There are issues with the 12" screen. We would be going with the 8.4 which is used across the CDRJ line-up. I also prefer to not have to use the screen to turn on vented/heated seats. The 12" screen looks sexy when it's working, but we looked at both yesterday. Also, if I were buying new that money would be better put towards the sunroof or something.

jpk

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Was given 2019 ram 1500 big horn for 4-5 weeks, rode and drove nice, they perfected the exhaust sound.
Hemi had plenty of balls, drove really well and was even quite until you hit the fun peddle .
The only thing I noticed and the dealer agreed, the metal on the frame was thin and light gauged, such as mounts for front suspension.
Assuming they use a lower quality steel, I'm not sure what would be left 10 years later especially here in Northeast
Oil undercoat it every year and dont worry about it.......

moojpg2

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Don't just walk RUN away from anything produced by Fiat Chrysler. Been down that path with two new vehicles one of them a 3500 cummins diesel, one a wrangler unlimited rubicon, both under warranty, countless recalls and problems, rusted body mounts on a two year old truck, three different dealerships, two factory reps, and ended up needing a lawyer. I drive an F250 now and couldn't be happier. I work with GM vehicles on the daily and I know for a fact GM is having electronics issues with the new 1500's that aren't sorted out yet.

Edit: and I will add, go on any ram truck/cummins truck forum or any jeep forum and you will literally find there are thousands of posts from people with problems that Fiat Chrysler won't help and won't issue a recall for. Back ordered parts, bad modules, bad transmissions, etc. it is endless. Hellcat/Srt owners groups you will see the same thing, tons of people forcing buybacks and lemon law cases.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Our wranglers have been mostly good but the dealership experience is nothing compared to issues my parents have had with their Acura's. Car dealerships are slimey places though

Brewer

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
There's nothing I'd rather drive than a 2500 Cummins with a reliable transmission and without the EPA regulations negating half its brilliant design and function into oblivion. Hope it's available again in our lifetimes.

Come and take

NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
had a 19 Ram Rebel 5.7. Loved it. Black with red black interior.

The interior is above all the best out there. I had the crew cab and plenty of room in the back.

Being 6'2 I could sit comfortably behind the drivers side.

I recently sold the Rebel because work gave me a work truck.

I never had issues with over 10k and a year of ownership.

20190809_152015.jpg20190809_152116.jpg20190809_151549(1).jpg

Attachments

jpk

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Don't just walk RUN away from anything produced by Fiat Chrysler. Been down that path with two new vehicles one of them a 3500 cummins diesel, one a wrangler unlimited rubicon, both under warranty, countless recalls and problems, rusted body mounts on a two year old truck, three different dealerships, two factory reps, and ended up needing a lawyer. I drive an F250 now and couldn't be happier. I work with GM vehicles on the daily and I know for a fact GM is having electronics issues with the new 1500's that aren't sorted out yet.

Edit: and I will add, go on any ram truck/cummins truck forum or any jeep forum and you will literally find there are thousands of posts from people with problems that Fiat Chrysler won't help and won't issue a recall for. Back ordered parts, bad modules, bad transmissions, etc. it is endless. Hellcat/Srt owners groups you will see the same thing, tons of people forcing buybacks and lemon law cases.
You think that Ford and GM dont have similar customer experiences and forums chock full of same issues?

You live in the northeast

If you dont oil undercoat a vehicle the same month you purchase it then thats on you.....

I do it on all vehicles regardless of brand and never have an issue..

jpk

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
There's nothing I'd rather drive than a 2500 Cummins with a reliable transmission and without the EPA regulations negating half its brilliant design and function into oblivion. Hope it's available again in our lifetimes.
Life would be easier without the EGR/DPF/DEF and all that shit

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Dealership near here thinks they can do 36k including all fees, but not tax, for a 2019 Laramie with the level 1 equipment group and tow package, posi, and 9k miles. CPO so 7/100 warranty. Hemi and 4x4. They are also offering 20k for the wrangler. Might jump on this as vehicle tax down here is cheap. I’ll keep everyone posted. Ultimately up to the wife as it’s her car.

Come and take

NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Just curious
Dealership near here thinks they can do 36k including all fees, but not tax, for a 2019 Laramie with the level 1 equipment group and tow package, posi, and 9k miles. CPO so 7/100 warranty. Hemi and 4x4. They are also offering 20k for the wrangler. Might jump on this as vehicle tax down here is cheap. I’ll keep everyone posted. Ultimately up to the wife as it’s her car.

Just curious if you guys looked at the Rebel? I went from a lifted Wrangler big ass tires to Rebel.

The Rebel appealed to me because of the towing capicity and larger 3.92 gears. Factory 33" tires and 1 inch lift from the factory.

You dont see many Rebels on the streets compared to the other trim level Rams.

Good luck.

Come and take

NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Just curious if you guys looked at the Rebel? I went from a lifted Wrangler big ass tires to Rebel.

The Rebel appealed to me because of the towing capicity and larger 3.92 gears. Factory 33" tires and 1 inch lift from the factory.

Good luck.

Kicker96FS

NES Member
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I have a 2019 Rebel, LOVE it. The Hemi really makes it! (sounds good too)
Bought it to tow my 16' trailer and I don't even know it's there unless I look in the rearview.
No problems yet, only 6k on her so far .

I really don't think you can go wrong with one.
Looked at a Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland today for Mrs. Kicker. I might go for it, deals are really good right now.

Ram Rebel.jpg

Rating - 100%
8   0   0

Good luck.
I like the Rebel, but think the Laramie makes more sense. I am trying to find one with the off-road package (AT tires, locker, full size spare, skids)

If you buy a Fiat pickup, you are doing it because you like the gimmicky options.
My preference for the ram is twofold
1. The powertrain is amazing. Hemi and 8HP75
2. The interior is nicer than any of the luxury vehicles my extended family owns

I guess a lot of the "nice" stuff is gimmicky, but I'm bougie... I mean c'mon, I own a bidet.

Knob Creek

NES Member
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
Just face it. All USA trucks suck. It’s a sad commentary on the auto industry. Last truck I owned was. 1989 Dodge (remember Dodge). It was a One Ton dually with a Cummins engine. Had rubber floor mats and a three speed Torqueflight transmission. I could get 21 MPG empty with this. I was hauling horses and cattle from Tennessee with this and a gooseneck trailer. And getting 15MPG. I sold it off about 10 years ago when I did not need a truck anymore. Guy I sold it to is still driving it.

Fixxah

NES Member
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I stopped wasting my money on anything not a Ford and haven't looked back. Was a Ford guy since high school and my Dad said he loved his Cummins powered Ram. I bought one and went to show him my truck and felt so much pride all the way to his house. He came out and said "Check out my new F-350, I bought it yesterday." My heart sank. I felt like a prostitute at a bukacky party. Never had a good week with that truck and was glad to unload it on the dealer.

Top Bottom