• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

5906 VS Sig p226

Hey guys i have a conflict in my head, I bought a S&W 5906 with 2 preban 15 rnd mags and now i am thinking about getting a Sig p226 now i dont want two full sized 9mms. what your opinion? sell the 5906 and get a sig? or just forget about the sig for the time being until im ready to havemore than one full sized 9mm.

I can't stand slide-mounted safeties, so I'm not a fan of the S&W Third Generation guns.

That said, I also had a Sig 226 and sold it. The bore axis is too high and the grip just never worked for me.

So I don't know what to suggest as I don't like either of those two guns. [laugh]

I Shoot pretty well with the 5906 after I sighted it in my groupings are inside of a fist from about 10-15 yards, I was considering the sig because it is generally a newer gun and i can still get standard capacity mags for it (Although very expensive). The thing with the 5906 is if anything craps the bed with it replacement parts are really hard to find.

My dept had 5906's before transitioning to m&p's. I wish I bought one when they we're offered up. I currently have a 226 in 40 and am not a fan... though I do love my 229.

Also, replacement parts shouldn't be difficult to find. Smith still services them as they're still in service with some depts. Buds has new one in stock now.

Last edited:
You can find 10 round 5906 magazines on eBay. Stay away from promag! I honestly like the frame mounted decocker on my sig p226. Just carry the S&W 5906 with the safety off and you can decock it after firing it before reholstering it. Both the P226 and 5906 you have to remember to "reset the hammer" by decocking the hammer before holstering the weapon.

The third generation 5906 etc. series is designed to be carried with a round in the chamber. Hammer decocked and Safety off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really like the frame mount decocker and the gun itself looks cool, i guess i need to test out the p226 and p229 i have some friends that own one of each so i might shoot it to see what i want. The 5906 is SMOOTH to shoot the trigger is spongey but once it fires it feels so right, and on the other hand the sigs are apparently equivalent to butter when shot (in other words amazing) time to order some bulk 9mm and see which one i like more... Keep putting in input this is really helping my decision

I would replace the recoil spring if it shows signs of wear and general maintenance and your S&W 5906 should be fine. It is true S&W offers limited if any support for the 3rd generation line due to lack of parts.

The question is what do you want to do with the sig p226 or the S&W 5906? Range? Home defense? As much as you want too your not good to be able to easily conceal the full size hand gun without some discomfort. I do good with an owb holster until I have to get in the car. The bigger the grip the more likely it is going to be pushed into you and dig against the seat.

Both guns are heavy and would be best suited for range/home defense or duty use/open carry. The 229 is a little bit.

Also the S&W 3913 and S&W 908 is the ccw single stack version of the S&W 5906 8 rounds of 9 mm.

Love the 226. But I agree that the bore axis is a bit high. It's a great gun to train with. I shoot glocks marginally better and faster at speed.

Edit.. 226 is fine in a shoulder holster carry. You won't even know that It's there.

Last edited:
I like both pistols.
P226 obviously nicer but i wouldnt sell off a 5906 just to get a P226

I really like the 3rd Gen Smiths, including my 5906. For the most part, if you keep them cleaned and lubed, and replace the recoil spring at regular intervals, they'll keep running practically for ever.

I do wish that Smith had made a 9mm compact with a frame mounted decocker. You can get them in .40, .45, and even 10mm that way, but only the large frame 9mm were the rare 5926 and even more rare 5924.

If only they had made a 3933.

I own both and have put a lot of rounds through them. I think the 5906 is a much better gun out of the box but with mods (trigger and sights) the 226 (I prefer the 9mm Stainless) can be made into a better shooter, if a little on the heavy side.

PS Numrich has a supply of 3d generation parts.

Last edited:
I really like the 3rd Gen Smiths, including my 5906. For the most part, if you keep them cleaned and lubed, and replace the recoil spring at regular intervals, they'll keep running practically for ever.

I do wish that Smith had made a 9mm compact with a frame mounted decocker. You can get them in .40, .45, and even 10mm that way, but only the large frame 9mm were the rare 5926 and even more rare 5924.

If only they had made a 3933.

I din't know that any of the 3d Gen S&Ws had frame mounted decockers. Not an issue with me as I carry my 6906 with the safety off and the slide mounted decocker is easy to use.

You can find 10 round 5906 magazines on eBay. Stay away from promag! I honestly like the frame mounted decocker on my sig p226. Just carry the S&W 5906 with the safety off and you can decock it after firing it before reholstering it. Both the P226 and 5906 you have to remember to "reset the hammer" by decocking the hammer before holstering the weapon.

The third generation 5906 etc. series is designed to be carried with a round in the chamber. Hammer decocked and Safety off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What you mean by "reset the hammer"? The decock on a 226 puts it back into DA, I've never heard of it resetting it.

I can't stand slide-mounted safeties, so I'm not a fan of the S&W Third Generation guns.

Don't listen to this man. The S&W 3rd Gens are some of the finest firearms ever produced.

You can find 10 round 5906 magazines on eBay. Stay away from promag!

Yeah, Pro-Mags suck. I owned one for one of my 3rd gens and threw it out. Absolute piece of crap.

Mec-Gar mags are excellent. IIRC, they manufactured mags for S&W.

+1 on that. Mec Gar was, AFAIK, the OEM for the 5906 magazines. They still make them in 10 and 15 round versions. Of course, only the 10 round versions are MA compliant.

Friends don't let friends use Pro Mags.

Don't listen to this man. The S&W 3rd Gens are some of the finest firearms ever produced.

Yeah, Pro-Mags suck. I owned one for one of my 3rd gens and threw it out. Absolute piece of crap.

Mec-Gar mags are excellent. IIRC, they manufactured mags for S&W.

I just got rid of my 5906. No real complaints with the gun itself, aside from the fact that it's a DA/SA.

If DA/SA is your thing, the 226 won't offer much besides a wider array of holsters/sights/parts, and a rail if you buy a railed version. Sigs are easier to disassemble too. 5906s are royally stupid to fully strip. But you won't notice a difference really in feel (5906 handles more like a 229 than a 226 though), reliability, or quality. They're both very good in those last two categories.

You could buy a SAO 226. Or a Legion in either SAO or DA/SA, and that will be noticeably nicer to shoot than a 5906.

Last edited:
I have both and actually like the 5906 better. One key factor is that the Sig has a DAK trigger and I hate it! if it were a SA/DA I would probably like them about the same. The 5906 shoots great.

I have both and actually like the 5906 better. One key factor is that the Sig has a DAK trigger and I hate it! if it were a SA/DA I would probably like them about the same. The 5906 shoots great.
My mistake, my Smith is the 639 which I believe is a heavier gun than the 5906. I do like the 639, not sure about the 5906. They look the same but I believe the 5906 is made from a lighter alloy material.

The 639 is probably lighter than the 5906--they're both steel frames, but the 5906 is double stack and the 639 is single stack.

You're thinking of the 5903, which has the lighter (alloy) frame.

Also, the 639 is a wicked cool pistol, I think it's gorgeous, and I hope I find a nice one some day.

Back
Top Bottom