• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

586 L comp issues

whacko

NES Member
My friend has a brand new 586 L comp revolver. Out of the box issues. Light strikes......only 1 or 2 out of a cylinder will fire. Rest are light dents on the primers. Tried every combo imagineable.....38 spec, 357 mag, 5 different brands.....with the moon clips.....without the moon clips.......same shitty results. What could be the cause of a brand new gun doing this? I know......he's calling Smith and Wesson to send it back that's the answer. Asking out of curiosity......what would cause this? My buddy is pissed to spend so much money he saved to purchase a higher end revolver to have issues like this.

What is the ammo? I've seen hard primers. Either way this is not a big deal. Smith shipped fired brass in the new guns that I have bought from them so yes they are test fired.

Try another brand of ammo and report back

What is the ammo? I've seen hard primers. Either way this is not a big deal. Smith shipped fired brass in the new guns that I have bought from them so yes they are test fired.

he said right in the first post they tried 5 different brands

5 different brands.....federal, Remington, ppu, Winchester, and American eagle. All failed. Pretty sure it's not a hard primer issue......I have Smith and Ruger revolvers that I've owned for 10 years that have never failed to go bang.....ever. for way over a grand it should fire everything imo

less likely something with the revolver. most likely the strain screw is loose. remove the grip. retighten it and put a very small amount of loctite. if the strain screw is fully snug and still lightstriking, then send it back.

less likely something with the revolver. most likely the strain screw is loose. remove the grip. retighten it and put a very small amount of loctite. if the strain screw is fully snug and still lightstriking, then send it back.
My buddy checked it.......got two full turns on it to tighten it down!!!!! Probably was the problem. He'll test it out soon!!!!

Actually......he's heading to the club right now to test it.

Thanks guys I think we found the problem.

This is one advantage of the Ruger design that employs a coiled mainspring rather than a leaf spring.

My friend has a brand new 586 L comp revolver. Out of the box issues. Light strikes......only 1 or 2 out of a cylinder will fire. Rest are light dents on the primers. Tried every combo imagineable.....38 spec, 357 mag, 5 different brands.....with the moon clips.....without the moon clips.......same shitty results. What could be the cause of a brand new gun doing this? I know......he's calling Smith and Wesson to send it back that's the answer. Asking out of curiosity......what would cause this? My buddy is pissed to spend so much money he saved to purchase a higher end revolver to have issues like this.

Smiths QC on a lot of guns has gone into the shitter since the sandy hook era, this doesn't surprise me at all. They figured out that some huge number of gun buyers never actually shoots the gun they
buy (or doesn't shoot it very much) so they took that to the bank.... or at least that's what it appears like, outwardly. Of course this will come back to bite them in the ass now that the market has tightened up and GUH BUH WUH panic sales are not the primary driver of gun sales they once were... or at least not at present.

At least it was just that one screw, in this case. Tell him to keep an eye on it.

-Mike

This is one advantage of the Ruger design that employs a coiled mainspring rather than a leaf spring.
I got a great deal on a 90%+ condition Ruger Security Six a dealer friend wanted to dump about 30 years ago ($95). It was likely being dumped because it did not reliably touch off primers in double action mode. A new coiled mainspring for $2 was a 100% solution.

Smiths QC on a lot of guns has gone into the shitter since the sandy hook era, this doesn't surprise me at all. They figured out that some huge number of gun buyers never actually shoots the gun they
buy (or doesn't shoot it very much) so they took that to the bank.... or at least that's what it appears like, outwardly. Of course this will come back to bite them in the ass now that the market has tightened up and GUH BUH WUH panic sales are not the primary driver of gun sales they once were... or at least not at present.

At least it was just that one screw, in this case. Tell him to keep an eye on it.

-Mike
Lots of folks are seeing the QC issues with what used to be the go to for quality manufacturers. I'm just glad NES helped us find the problem. I talked to him last night and he bought blue locktite and removed the screw and put it back in with some on it.

I've had to use locktite on a few sites and a cylinder latch screw in the last year.

Some people back off the strain screw intentionally to get a lighter double action pull. It's quick, easy, reversible and costs nothing. The down side is it may only be reliable with soft primers like Federal.

I think it's already been stated but sounds like you just need to tighten the mainspring a little more.
I have a 586 l-comp that I still have to send to S&W not because of light primer strikers but because one cylinder doesn't properly lock up in double action. I should have sent it back the moment I opened the box because the ratchet looked like it came right off of the mill without any deburring. It was the roughest part I have every seen in any new gun I have ever bought. I was impatient and cleaned it up myself, but discovered the lock up issue about a month later.

Back
Top Bottom