1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

$572m judgment in favor of Oklahoma for opioids

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by namedpipes, Aug 27, 2019.

1. namedpipes

namedpipes NES Member

2. JayMcB

JayMcB NES Member

explain again how many prescriptions the pharma company wrote?

amm5061 and wilson911 like this.
  3. Emacs

Emacs

What a joke. Hope the higher courts shut this down.

4. xjma99

xjma99 NES Member

I’m feeling oak or down to my toes! Not like any real person in Oklahoma would get a penny anyways...

5. Evadd

Evadd NES Member

I got into a car accident in my 20s. I think I'll sue Mitsubishi for making the car, even though the car performed as it was intended.

What an awful slippery slope. You guys know this will embolden people looking to sue gun manufacturers.

xtry51, Choctaw and drgrant like this.
  6. snax

snax NES Member

Guns,are known to kill.
    I think they were leaning on precedent from the tobacco lawsuits.
    Pharma knew of the hazards, and hid them.

Bob P likes this.
  7. Pete85

Pete85

Granted I haven't followed this case at all but I think the issue was more of the fact that the companies marketed newer painkillers such as Oxycontin as having very low to no risk of addiction, causing doctors to prescribe them to patients for pain management instead of other drugs that were known to be addictive. The drug companies knew from the very beginning that they were lying saying the new drugs aren't addictive and hid that fact for as long as possible. The doctors who initially prescribed these drugs aren't the ones who did the years of research and subsequently (falsely) claimed that their results showed great pain management with no risk of addiction.

NHKevin and drgrant like this.
  8. rommel

rommel NES Member

I dont know, I do not have enough information to make an accurate assessment. My devils advocate side is working. What if, the manufacturer knowingly knew the risks of addiction yet withheld that info? What if the manufacturers guidelines was to prescribe more medicine than was needed which in turn left addictive pills laying around.

9. drgrant

drgrant Moderator NES Member

Problem for the pharmas is they weren't silent participants. Their sales people with the doctors were practically telling doctors they could just hand them out for any and every pain imaginable, etc.

The happy fun ball about this bullshit though is OD deaths didn't start spiking until the government cracked down on the pills. So while everyone is doing the "Save the orphans, punish the evil drug company" song and dance, dog and pony show, government policy is basically reinforcing opiate addicts transitioning into Heroin, fent, etc... most of the
    pill heads didn't just go "Hey! I have a great idea! lets do heroin instead!" instead, the reality is they moved to it out of an act of desperation, once pills became harder to
    come by, etc. Drug control birthed a new, worse problem out of a pre-existing one. I also think it made dealing with the problem worse because now the addicts have
    been stigmatized from it. There's a big difference between "uncle jimmy got addicted from pills after the leg operation" vs "uncle jimmy is a heroin addict". So now the
    general public is less tolerant of the whole thing and cares less than they did before.

-Mike

kingfisher and xtry51 like this.
  10. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

Well, chah!!!

I love how a OK judge rules that the company owes OK. Seems like a conflict of interest to me. Hahahahahahahaha.

"I rule that Johnson & Johnson should pay the State of Okala-Homer $572million and a new Porche delivered to my house."

11. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

You really think that any intelligent doctor or pamphlet from Pharma said, "Prescribe 100-200 pills at a time. There is no problem whatsoever and we recommend it."?????

The company is easy to blame as a single target versus the 1-5% of docs that blindly prescribed meds that their training showed time and again were dangerous. Why? Because they were getting paid. So what if the person sold the stuff to someone else. It's harmless, right? No one gets hurt.

Nope. Always pick the simple solution. Because reality means that there's a risk that YOUR doctor is a scumbag. And none of us want to face that. Plus, it's 4,932,732 different suits versus one big ass one.

12. JayMcB

JayMcB NES Member

What were the docs getting paid again? On paper, not compensated for writing scripts for any drug..just for prescribing a course of treatment.

13. JRLB

JRLB NES Member

Didn’t the J&J subsidiary just make the opium?

14. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

I hate all of these. Keep in mind that Dow Chem bought out hte maker of silicone bewbs. Subsequent, judgement for millions of dollars. Dow pays.

Years later - there is no silicone leaking making you a lazy ass disorder. You're just a leaky-assed boob lady with no drive. Cosmetic surgery isn't forever. Silicone doesn't do anything they claimed in teh suit.

Anyone give the $ back to Dow?? No? Really????

Frizzle Fry likes this.
  15. SKumar

SKumar NES Member

This sounds like a liberal judge.
    Sue the gunmakers
    Sue the carmakers
    Sue the drug makers

Frizzle Fry likes this.
  16. blindfire

blindfire NES Member

How about the State AG. They brought the suit. Mike Hunter (R). Who is more to blame here...the AG or the Judge?

Oh...and for the record, Judge Thad Balkman is also a (R).

Soooooo...how are you blaming this on liberals???

17. grey

grey NES Member

since when does (r) mean conservative? anyway, what an odd lense to be observing this through

18. drgrant

This isn't explicitly an R vs D thing, this is a populist thing, "drugs r bad mmmkay?" and government gets to sit in the background and act like it didn't pour gas on the fire.... and shift the blame away from itself at every opportunity....

19. drgrant

Nah, drugs r bad is a populist thing now. There are at least like 50 flag waving jingoservatives right here on this forum that would do the same thing if it involves drugs....

Admittedly I think the producers are partially responsible for this crap, but I think the public perception is a bit retarded, I mean we're not talking Lorillard here handing out free cigarettes to get people hooked. We're talking a controlled substance that people needed a doctor's permission to get...

-Mike

20. new guy

new guy NES Member

$500M on a company that cleared $15.3B in 2017. Yawn.

21. Dadstoys

Dadstoys NES Member

Here I thought it was common knowledge that opium was addictive since like the 1400's

amm5061 and new guy like this.
  22. Hikes

Hikes

I'm OK with it. As others have said, very shady marketing practices and understated risk. They incentivized and promoted the drug in a way that led to a LOT of addiction, that they made millions (billions?) on.

23. namedpipes

namedpipes NES Member

I'd legalize it all and let the chips fall where they may.

24. LittleCalm

LittleCalm NES Member

The problem - and Mike is touching on it - is that people want simple black and white blame. And the politicians will do what I’ll ever is politically expedient. So as in the case of most things, the answer is complicated and there are many parties to blame: the drug companies for withholding addiction info relating to the product they are selling, some doctors who over prescribe drugs like candy, politicians who often have ties to buddies in the industry and look the other way until public pressure comes in looking for someone to blame, and the consumers themselves who look to pills to solve all their problems.

25. Broccoli Iglesias

Broccoli Iglesias NES Member

Depends. If the manufacturer knew there was a defect and let it go, then you crashed and got hurt because of that defect, why wouldnt you go after them for hiding that?

In the case of pain killers, they weren't even working as advertised.

Your car analogy is not good.

26. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

I had my prostate removed about four years ago. Afterwards, there was just a weird internal general pain that was worse every time i moved. They loaded me up with oxycodone, which made me super constipated AND did very little to end the pain. I found that common tylenol was way better for the pain than the opiod...so i just stopped using it. The only trick with tylenol...there is a maximum you can take in a day, or your liver falls out...so you have to watch it...a pill only lasted about 2 hours then the pain came back. That was a rough week.

27. namedpipes

namedpipes NES Member

A daily 3g - 4g dose of ibuprofen will put you in the hospital praying for the end. 600-800mg every few days does take the edge off.

28. Evadd

Evadd NES Member

Pain killers do work; they don't work when not used as intended. They aren't defective; you can't just do whatever you want with them. If I tried to take my Kia sedan on a NASCAR circuit or tow a boat with it, of course it won't work in that situation. I think my car analogy works just fine.

The caveat is I'm not sure how much they misled about addiction and side effects. If they did cover things up, then there is something to be held accountable for there.

29. fshalor

fshalor NES Member

Edit: I crossed threads.

Drinking water is wet.

Scissors can cut paper.

I swear a week doesn't go by now which doesn't have something which sounds like it's straight out of Goibles playbook.

30. Fishfinder

Fishfinder

I was on oxy for 10 months and when it was time to stop I weaned myself off of it. I never abused it like crushing it up and snorting it like many abusers do.
    It's a choice to abuse it.