• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MOVING to Massachusetts? Read Here First!

Yes, provided it's not a "post-ban assault weapon".
How do I tell? (I guess with my luck lately it probably is)

Just be aware that possession of a single post-ban large capacity magazine is a felony with a potential penalty of $10,000/10 years in prison. Conviction would also render one a federally prohibited person for life.

As I see it, if I wish to remain in business, I have no choice - if even removing the mag internals does not render them legal, then I see no route forward.

What are the Mass laws regarding body armor? I make plate carriers too, and sometimes have various types of plates hanging around the workshop.

Armor is legal as long as you don't possess it while committing a crime.

NH would be a much more reasonable location for your business (and you) as you would not have to deal with all this foolishness.

Legal in some circumstances, pursuant to M.G.L. c.269 s.12E (more than 500 feet from a structure in use without permission), and c.131 s.58 (more than 150 feet from roadway). Additionally, some municipalities have ordinances prohibiting discharge of firearms and/or noise ordinances.

While your legal info is correct (good job Kevlar!), I would reverse this statement if I were the one giving the info. "In Mass., it is rarely legal to shoot outside of a gun club, even on your own private property." Refer to the DQ's thread in my sigline for that horror story.

The big issue for me is still the high cap mags for business

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't all the high cap mags for Glock/Sig/etc. the exact same size externally as 10 round mags? We're talking about felony charges here, I wouldn't play around.

Here's an idea. What if you posted up on some other forums (maybe even this one) and offered to trade all of your high cap business mags for their 10 round illegitimate siblings, so that you could still form holsters without the drama. It would likely be a pain, but it would probably work since just about every company mags 10 round variants.

Another option could be a storage unit or storage with a friend in a free state that borders Mass., where you could travel to mold holsters legally. Writing all of this out is making me sad, and glad I moved. [angry]

Thanks guys, I am slowly putting a plan together to minimize the legal issues.

@GSG - yup, most pistol mags have 10 round variants, and I will be adding 10 rounders to my collection. My Hi Cap mags are going to be boxed and stored with a friend until I can get to someplace a little more liberty friendly.

The issue is the rifle mags. In many cases there are no low cap versions. Is it possible to get a gunsmith to pin them? I am thinking about G3/FAL, AK, AR, SKS, Sten, Glock Hi Cap 33 rounders, 50 round FN57 mags etc

As for my rifles, most will be stored out of state. I think the only guns I'll bring to mass with me are:
Glock 19 - with 10 round mags
Taurus 38 revolver
Kel-Tec Sub 2000 (again using low cap mags)
Some bolt action rifles - and this raises another question. I have a SMLE 2A - bolt action but with a detachable box mag (10 rounds). I think this is ok, but it does have a bayonet lug.

The issue is the rifle mags. In many cases there are no low cap versions. Is it possible to get a gunsmith to pin them? I am thinking about G3/FAL, AK, AR, SKS, Sten, Glock Hi Cap 33 rounders, 50 round FN57 mags etc

There are ten round mags available for many of those. G3/FAL, AK, SKS, Glocks, PS90s all have ten round mags available.

agreed, but their form factor is not the same as the high capacity mags. I'm not using these for shooting, I'm using them to make patterns with. The shape of the low cap mags HAS to be the same as the high cap mags in order for that to work.

If the mags are pre-ban they can be of any capacity.

Everyone in MA with an AK variant has 30 rd pre-ban mags. Same for pre-ban Glock mags. Not an issue. [I'm not familiar with the other models you mention, but if pre-ban mags exist ANYWHERE you can legally possess them in MA with a LTC.]

There are no pre ban mags available for many weapons - PS90 for instance - 50 round mags, no pre bans available. Right now I am making a rig for these mags. This is typical of the issues I face.

Btw - where does the local gun rights group stand on these issues? I see a lot about training but nothing about legislative action. Can someone point me in the right direction?

The issue is the rifle mags. In many cases there are no low cap versions. Is it possible to get a gunsmith to pin them?

If it's permanent, the answer is likely yes. AWB issues are somewhat fuzzy in Mass., so most people just stick with the federal standards from the national one passed in 1994. This was discussed in one thread that I'm linking to below, but if you search you'll find several others.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/95621-JB-Weld-Are-you-kidding

Btw - where does the local gun rights group stand on these issues? I see a lot about training but nothing about legislative action. Can someone point me in the right direction?

They're on your side.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/forums/165-Comm2a

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/forums/54-G.O.A.L.-Massachusetts

Suppose someone brings a handgun into MA when they move here. By law, he has 60 days to get an LTC. Let's say he knows it will take more than 60 days to get an LTC (lives in Boston). If he can get a friend (who has a Class A) to hold onto the gun, do they need to fill out an FA-10? Even if the friend is just holding onto the gun until the owner gets his LTC?

What if the above friend after moving in and having a friend hold his handguns decides for whatever reason, for example has a medical issue and is not longer able to physical shoot, not to get a LTC. How does he legally transfer his handgun?

What if the above friend after moving in and having a friend hold his handguns decides for whatever reason, for example has a medical issue and is not longer able to physical shoot, not to get a LTC. How does he legally transfer his handgun?

Since the owner is unlicensed, a FFL is required. The licensed friend would transport the firearms(s) and the unlicensed friend to a FFL, who will effect the transfer.

I am moving to Boston from Florida sometime in February. While this post has been more helpful than the ATF, Boston Police Department, and the Department for Public safety combined, I still have some questions. Basically, it revolves around what is considered an "assault weapon." Here's what I got:

1. Five-Seven Pistol (20 round mag)
2. 16" SOCOM 16 M1A (I can get 10 rounders for this)
3. HK USC .45 (10 round mag)
4. Remington 700
5. Steyr Scout .308 (5 and 10 round mags)
6. M1 Carbine (15 round mags)

Which ones would be barred and deemed illegal? With the other battle rifles illegalized (FAL, G3) I would think that the M1A would be illegal as well? Also, this is my first post so please have patience. [grin]

Check out the sticky thread on the Boston AWB for starters, and then read up on the Mass. AWB, which basically mirrors the old federal ban. Do a search or seven here, it's been discussed to death.

None of those firearms are prohibited. Only firearms specifically on the Boston list are prohibited.

The 20 round mags for the 57 are illegal via AWB. Any 10+round long gun mags are also illegal in Boston.

MA Resident with Arizona Handguns

I'm a first-time poster here and have looked through this and several other stickies that provide a wealth of information about MA gun laws. Thanks for all of it. I think I understand what the laws and regulations say about my situation, but I'm hoping someone can confirm it.

Here are the facts: I spend over half-time in Boston and less than half in Arizona, where 2nd Amendment carry is affirmatively protected by state law. Though not necessary, I also hold a CCW permit in AZ since it provides carry privileges in a host of nearby states and makes the simple process of purchasing a gun in AZ even simpler. I own several handguns, including a Gen 3 Glock 17 (with 17-round mags).

I recently obtained a Class A LTC in Boston and would like to bring some of my AZ guns into the Commonwealth. If I understand it correctly I need to (1) file an FA-10 for each, checking "registration," and leaving seller information blank; (2) purchase 10-round mags for the Glock; (3) leave my 17-rd mags in AZ; (4) freely purchase ammo in MA (or NH) and (5) make sure that nothing I carry prints.

Is this all correct? Many thanks for any help you can give.

Great post but i gotta move to ma from ri anyway
i have an stag model 8 piston a kimber tle and pro Carry a rem 700 sendero sf 7mm rum
and a dillon 550 b with tons of components
the stag has a 6 position stock and flash hider the kimbers well they are kimbers to the fullest and the 700 has a muzzle break
now i may be slow but it looks like i may only need to change the flash hider on the stag and leave the 30 round magazines with my cousin bring them in and get the ltc a once all the guns are moved in
am i missing anything?

Thanks for all this information. I just moved to MA 4 months ago and thanks to this thread was able to get my head straight about what I could and couldn't bring/have.

)
As I see it, if I wish to remain in business, I have no choice - if even removing the mag internals does not render them legal, then I see no route forward.

I realize this is an old thread, and that my suggestion would be abhorrent to most of us, but given that a man's livelihood appears at stake here, and that he has already discussed removing the internals.... what if he removed the internals *and* filled them with cement or epoxy or somesuch?

Then they're clearly and obviously not even magazines (i.e. device that holds ammunition for the purpose of feeding into a firearm) anymore, but rather permanently inoperable mock-ups of mags for the purpose of display only.

Ok,

I may be moving to Mass at somepoint and have begun the process of ensuring that I've got my butt covered when/if this occurs.

I've got two things playing out in my mind that I need answers to...

1) I've got 4 AR-15s... two are PreBan, two are PostBan. If I sell the two post-ban receivers, but keep all of the uppers (the two Delta HBAR uppers, the one upper I assembled, and the Larue OBR 556 upper), is this an issue.

2) I've got a Larue OBR 7.62 (basically 308 Winchster) AR-10 clone. (Though it's much nicer than any AR-10 I've even seen...) This is my 800 yard rifle... How do I bring that into MASS? It has an honest to god muzzel brake on it, though it was made for a silencer and came with a Surefire break.

I'm very confused by this statement on one of the posts:

Under MA law, a lower is not considered a firearm.

That would be not only in contrast to Federal law, which has the right to determine this exclusively... but plain old odd.

Lastly, I've got a ton of Colt PreBan 20 round mags (not to mention an insane number of 10 round mags in general)... but those aren't stamped with a date code... what's the deal with handling that?

I'm considering sealing all of my post-ban magazines in permanently sealed platic bags, and then sending them to myself at my in-laws house in NH and telling them to never open the box. I assume that will not violate any laws that anyone is aware of??

Oh, and how does the State of MA feel about laser aiming devices, PVS-14s, PVS-24s, Thermal sights, and so on... yeah, I'm probably better armed than many police departments. ...but around here you can actually use the stuff.

GB

I moved to MA about 4 years ago. Years before that, when I lived in NY, my father gave me a shotgun. I just got my FID and am looking to bring that shotgun from NY, where it's sitting in my mom's attic gathering dust, into MA.

Trouble is, I have no proof that my father gave it to me, I've never filed anything in NY. Can I just file an FA-10, saying its mine? Or do I have to do a transfer?

I moved to MA about 4 years ago. Years before that, when I lived in NY, my father gave me a shotgun. I just got my FID and am looking to bring that shotgun from NY, where it's sitting in my mom's attic gathering dust, into MA.

Trouble is, I have no proof that my father gave it to me, I've never filed anything in NY. Can I just file an FA-10, saying its mine? Or do I have to do a transfer?

Just fill in the Registration part of the FA10 and you should be good to go.

If it's yours, you can bring it in (assuming it's FID and AWB compliant).

You must file a FA-10 within seven days of its introduction into MA.

Check "Registration" and complete the form, leaving the "Seller" section blank.

Back
Top Bottom